Team Chevelle banner

327 harmonic balancer question

14K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Dave Murdoch 
#1 ·
I have aquired a 1962 327 (3789817 casting....s is suffix code) and have a question about the harmonic balancer. There is no center bolt going into the crank----my limited knowledge leads me to believe it is either broken off flush, stripped, etc.----but i am just checking that all old 327's used a center bolt to attach the balancer. The thought of trying to drill out a broken bolt (even when looking with a bright light i can not see any signs a bolt was there). Unfortunately I do not have access to any of the prior owners to get a history on the engine. Thanks for any help offered.

#2 ·
I have aquired a 1962 327 (3789817 casting....s is suffix code) and have a question about the harmonic balancer. There is no center bolt going into the crank----my limited knowledge leads me to believe it is either broken off flush, stripped, etc.----but i am just checking that all old 327's used a center bolt to attach the balancer. The thought of trying to drill out a broken bolt (even when looking with a bright light i can not see any signs a bolt was there). Unfortunately I do not have access to any of the prior owners to get a history on the engine. Thanks for any help offered.

#3 ·
Yes. It should have a center bolt. If it is broken off, you need to remove it. If its missing just install a new one. P.S. you should delete the other 3 post's . JMHO

#6 ·
Not in '62...no crank bolt. Older dampers were just pressed on.
And are you sure it's a 327?? ;)
A hole can be drilled and tapped easily with the crank out of the block...not as easy where it's at right now.

#7 ·
Nope, no bolt on 327's. I am not aware of any 327 that has one. The only ones that may have one are the ultra rare 4 bolt mains (if they do exist, never seen one). My 67 does not have one. Never had a problem not having one, mine rev's to the moon with no problems.

I agree with Bill about drilling one.

#8 ·
I have been educated! I guess you learn something new every day.

#12 ·
The early SBC had no hole to put a bolt but as mentioned you can drill and tap it if you feel its needed but they were just pressed on as are all of them, the later ones just had an added bolt.

I have a Large jurinal steel crank 327 here with a Bolt and an earlier 327 with no Bolt:cool:

Corey

#15 ·
Just to add confusion, my '69 350 has no balancer bolt. Although this seems to indicate an older engine, this is the stock engine in a Malibu with 350 badges and the engine code matches at 69 350. Has anybody heard of this?

I've never had the bottom end apart, so last time I had the balancer off, I "pressed" it on with a 4x4 block and the BFH method. So far so good for about 1000 miles, but I am always wondering.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.