Team Chevelle banner

496 build but tall valve covers wont fit

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  wilmaya 
#1 ·
Hey guys
back to getting my 496 planned
currently running stock height valve covers with stamped rockers
want to run roller rockers
no way tall covers will fit beneath A/C compressor bracket and brake booster on driver side
and questionable if they will fit next to the A/C airbox on the passenger side firewall

what covers do you guys run to clear these problem areas yet be high enough to clear pro magnum or simliar roller rockers and studs?

anyone know where/brand of low polished cast aluminum covers (stock height unless there is another solution to problem above)

is there such a thing as intermediate height covers?

#2 ·
I ended up running a 5/16" tall fel pro valve cover gasket with the stock gasket (glued together) with stock stamped steel covers to clear the aluminum roller rockers on my 496. The main clearance issue was with the exhaust adjuster hitting the v/c. If I had machined them down along with the rocker stud the 5/16" gasket by itself may have been enough. But as it is i have about 200 miles on it and no leaks or interference. This is in a '56 bel air with no air (lol) but might help you some.

#3 ·
This can be a problem on SB's too.

#4 ·
Crower has .250 shorter locks available, I have them with their roller rockers and use a stock V/C.

#5 ·
454 in my boat has Pro Magnum rockers hiding under stock OEM stamped sheetmetal valve covers. I needed two valve cover gaskets on each side for clearance with the tall rocker nuts.

Tall covers are for clearance with stud girdles, not roller rockers.

#8 · (Edited)
Rich, I built my Eng. using the shorter Sure-Locks with the A/C bracket in mind. But found a donner car to eliminate the A/C all together. Here's a picture of the eng. and it has Crower stainless roller's with their shorter locks. I'm using 1 std. gasket per cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.