Team Chevelle banner

66 or 67 Dash Photos

15K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Tophog 
#1 ·
I am looking for some photos of custom 66 or 67 dashes that include gauges, or photos of where you guys are mounting gauge pods. I am starting to restore my dash and need some ideas since I have the base dash, but would like oil, temp, and volt gauges.

#2 ·
Here's my old 67 with Dakota Digital hot rod gauges w/4-speed and no A/C.

The 'second' version moved the in-dash radio to the console to make room for the center A/C vents. Also swapped the 4-speed for a 700R4 and B&M Quicksilver shifter plus I added Autometer mechanical water temp and mechanical oil pressure gauges. A few more interior photos at http://dalesplace.com/others/67chevelle/interior.htm

My current 67 El Camino is a bit more conventional with an Autometer 3-gauge pod (water/vacuum/oil) centered below the dash and a voltmeter in a single gauge black cup to the far left. A little more spartan since its not driven much and pretty much relegated to hauling duties.

#5 ·
Did the same thing..numerous people Ive talked to say the retro gauges are very accurate and reliable. Still like seeing the analogs sometimes but everyones got em. Easy to switch out of you get tired of them in fact dont even have to remove the dash;two screws and youre done.

#6 ·
One thing I'd look for if you're doing the repro factory-style gauges is try to find a 66 cluster to start with. The high beam indicator was moved to the cluster face in 67. The gauge option from the factory in 67 used the same face as the 66. That is, no high beam indicator and the other two warning lamp pods were different as well. Naturally one doesn't have to be 'correct' here but adding the gauges to a non-guage 67 cluster will stand out.

#8 ·
Dale I am adding the gauges to a non 67 gauge cluster and saw that Hinshaws sells the brake and bright light lense. Would thesr work with the four hole slots off of my 67, could the space between be opened up or should I look for another cluster? Getting ready to do the AAW rewire on the car.

#9 ·
I think the new lenses will work. The standard 'funnel' (for lack of a better term) is split into two channels for each bulb but looking at an old one I have I don't see why the center divider couldn't be cut out with something as simple as side cutters and maybe a Dremel-type tool to clean it up a bit.

#10 ·

That is what I did for mine I used a hack saw blade and cut out the divider. When I bought the lense from James Hinshaws that is how he told me to do it

#11 ·
I used the 67 speedo (bright light)
and the standard instrument panel when I put the 'Shiftworks' kit in.
Also using AAW classic update.

wired the car to use the 'BRAKE' 'GEN' 'HOT' and "OIL' lamps as well the gages.
only had to add one wire to the cluster----hot----and I get the brake indicator as well.

did require a couple of modifications to the wire harness tho.

#15 ·
This is kinda what im looking to do. How many places out there have this set-up? Which one is better? I remember reading about it but dont remember where.

#13 · (Edited)
Bringing an old post to the top. Found a complete factory 66 gauge cluster, speedo and gauges. Was wondering if the 66 gauges are the same for a 67. Want to use the 66 gauges in my cluster. My cluster also has the mechanical speed warning indicator on dash face.

#14 ·
David, if you scroll up to Dales post #6. That should help answer your question. If your asking if 66 gauges will fit a 67 or vise versa. I do believe they will swap. Although ill admit I havent personally seen both year gauge clusters side by side to see if they would match. Ill bet Dale can answer that one too.

#18 ·
Dang, that's it? I guess I've been doing some digging into the aftermarket gauge clusters as I'm trying to turbo my LS motor if I can. Hoping that there are more options and I do like the Dakota gauges but I am leaning towards something more custom and digital. I just want something that doesn't look cheap and doesn't look ****ty. Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyways lol

I guess if anybody has any other pics of their gauge clusters please post them here...

#22 · (Edited)
Probably not what you're looking for, but I swapped a '67 gauge dash in my '66 Elkie instead of the 'idiot light' setup. Then I put in a T-5 trans, so the speedo cable didn't work. This was back in the day before the internet and multiple catalog stores.

When I needed more gauges, and ones that actually worked, I put in a Camaro console and gauge pod with room for 4 more. Currently running a tach and GPS speedo from Speedhut, cheapo oil and S-W vacuum gauges in it.

The console addition also allowed a place for a few rocker switches aft of the shifter for add on stuff like under dash lights and for the back up lights (since the tranny didn't work for them either).

#21 ·
here's what I'm working on for my '66. I didn't want to mount mine on top of the dash so I made my own 'pod' that bolts to the bezel just like the factory cluster. Then I took some plexi and with my heat gun I contoured it to fit the bezel. In the final version, which I still have to cut, will have the blinker lights, high beam light, check engine light, and gear indicator cut in it as well. I am still looking at what, if any, other icons that I may include as well because my EFI system has the ability to provide various warnings that I could create icons for and include them as well. The gauges are back lit LED and look pretty cool at night...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.