Team Chevelle banner

Original 1969 396 Valve covers

12K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Bill Rose 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been trying to find those original 1969 valve covers that have the notch in the back of the driver side valve cover. There is an auction on ebay where a guy is advertising them as 1969, and it has the notch. The problem is that the notched valve cover doesn't look like it has any wire loom stands and there is an extra hole where one of the stands should be. I'm new to this and can't figure out what the second hole would be for, not for the life of me. I'm guessing these are not the correct ones, unless it has something to do with smog?
Thanks

#3 ·
Those "notched" corners are not correct for 69 BB Chevelles.

Mr. Rose (above) and myself have just spent a couple of months doing research on these valve covers, his being a 68 BB and mine a 69 BB. There are many reproduction valve covers on the market that are advertised as "correct" for about $100 - $125. Yes, they are mostly accurate with a few exceptions. Yes, they will work and look good. However, if you want to be totally correct, there is only one manufacturer of the correct 69 BB Chevelle valve covers. That company is Cranes Corvette. For 69, they are the only ones that produce the cover with the "clip" on the driver's side for the temperature sending wire. Their website is a little confusing, but you will get the picture of how precise they make them. If you want a set be prepared to pay big, BIG bucks.

Hope this helps a little.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Obviously the notches I was referring to are different than the ones you were referring to. I was talking about the indented angle at the rear of the driver's side for brake booster.

From those two links the passenger's side appear fairly correct, but not so the driver's side. Unless I'm missing something.

#6 ·
you mean the driver's in both are incorrect or just the second one? As well, I took a look at the site you posted, and it mentions that up to 67 had the "smashed in corner" while 68 and 69 had only a small indentation. I have a pair a orange covers with the small indentation at the rear, they have drippers and baffles, as well as all the stands. These would not be correct for a chevelle would it? Seems all the chevelles have chrome covers. Perhaps for a camaro? Thanks

#8 ·
Bill,

Those valve covers look like fine jewelry!!!

For Daytona SS, the pictures of the auctions don't give enough detail to tell if they are exactly correct. Myself, Bill and Don have bought the Crane covers and as far as I know, these are the best things going if you want correctness and quality. Buying used ones will most certainly have to be replated for show and that will be expensive and results will vary.

You can get the 69 Crane BB valve covers from Modern Chevrolet/Classic Muscle for less than buying them from the manufacturer (Crane). In Bill's case he had to get Crane to delete a clip to make driver's side valve cover correct for 68.

If you want the best and can stomach the price, buy a set of Crane's valve covers. You won't regret the purchase.

Woj

69 SS X 2, 69 Malibu, 69 Camaro

#9 ·
Very satisfied with the Crane's Covers I put on my Chevelle last summer. Fit is great (unlike other cheap repro's), correct draw lines are there, etc and compared identically to an original set of '69's I have (chrome is worn out on those). Main compliant others have expressed is that the chrome is a little nicer than GM flash chrome of 35 years ago - but it looks great!

#11 ·
My original 1970 BB chrome valve covers were show quality (although not flash rechromed as per the "correct" way) rechromed for a mere $90 + tax about 8 years ago. As you have stated, you like nothing but NOS or restored originals (and I agree with you 100% given the cr@p being manufactured today), but $500 seems like a lot of cash for rechroming valve covers.

#12 ·
I should have specified that the originals were covered in rust from the car being neglected for years. It was a pretty amazing transformation. Also Pauls chrome plating is a bit pricy to begin with, but the results were worth it.
Nice to see that someone agrees with my opinion of reproduction parts....LOL

#13 ·
Yeah, I agree as well that the reproductions stuff is garbage. I bought one thing reproduction, it was a tach for my 69 ss, and I paid a small fortune for it since I guess they were the only one who made them. It looks nothing like the original, where the chrome trim is around the speedometer and so forth is gray paint! Ever since that I've tried to get NOS or original parts, however this being my first restoration I wasn't prepared for the prices of some stuff. For example, there is a set of SS center caps on ebay for 380 bucks, would put the auction up but I think it ended earlier on today. I'm trying to do the best job of it since its numbers matching, but being in canada doesn't help for the shipping costs either! If the chrome and painted covers are the same, couldn't I chrome the painted ones to make them correct? I guess the painted ones are for an early 68.

#14 ·
I stand to be corrected, but I believe the painted ones were more for Corvettes and full size cars. I can't say if they were the same exact formats as the chrome ones.

Those "SS center caps" you are referring to, are they the ones with the "deeper" offset into where the SS emblem is (if you know what I mean)? Most repos do not have that deep offset. However, I have a source for the correct ones if you are indeed interested. Don't know his price, but you can email me if you like and I can give you his name. He runs a Parts business in Illinois. I recently put a large order in with him, including the above Crane covers.

Where in Canada are you?

#15 ·
Don_lightfoot said:
I stand to be corrected, but I believe the painted ones were more for Corvettes and full size cars. I can't say if they were the same exact formats as the chrome ones.
You are correct Don, no big block 68 Chevelles got painted valve covers.
Painted valve covers started in 71 on big block Chevelles..

#16 ·
I'm over in Corner Brook, Newfoundland. Yeah, I think he said the offset was 1/8 of an inch, I never picked up on any difference between caps and their offsets. Thank you for the offer, however there is still a couple of sets of NOS caps on ebay which I can bid on if I needed them right away. I'm still getting the engine built yet, almost ready to start assembly. The crank is getting cut and will be balanced when the pistons reach a family member in kingston nova scotia. He is getting Allyn Armstrong to do it in his machine shop, apparently he is gotten quite well known over the years, perhaps someone here has heard of him? Anyway besides a few odds and ends such as coil and orignal fuel filter the only parts I require is the correct valve covers. Again, thank you for all your help.

#17 ·
Hey, I've been to Cornerbrook, Newfoundland a few times. Once I was there in late March and the snow was so high you could not see the two storey houses from inside the taxi on the road :eek: :eek: GREAT Province, GREAT people and GREAT NEWFIE beer :beers: I won't bother to even comment on the "Newfie Screech" :clonk:

Our CanAm Chevelle Club has a member in Newfoundland. His name is Craig Dodge in Clarenville.

Good luck with the car and if we can be of any further help just ask.

#18 ·
The Crane valve covers are the best repop anything that I have ever bought for my Chevelle, that is why I push them. I've paid the big money for rechroming valve covers, only to be disappointed. Crane makes them the way Chevrolet should have.

As far as SS center caps. I've bought the deep center repop ones and was quite impressed at the quality. I'd venture to say that no one would be able to tell. The only caution is that the 1/4" thread bolts are about 1/4" too short. That makes for another trip to the hardware store. For the price, they are well worth it.

Woj

69SS X 2, 69 Malibu, 69 Camaro

#19 ·
Ditto on the re-chroming disappointment. Only lasted about 4-5 years before they got dull.

As I live in San Diego, I've met David Crane at his shop. Interesting guy and really into Corvette parts. He's an ex-aerospace engineer and used his knowledge of tooling/stamping/dies to create the repro valve covers. He's also got a lot of NOS stuff, including SMOG stuff if you really need/want it. Good guy/shop to know, though pricy.

#20 ·
Hey Daytona,a neighbor here from Nova Scotia.The Armstrong brothers have a great reputation,quality work.I had mine done by another local shop R and D performance,also very good reputation.Did you get to see any of the Targa Ralley? I guess it's quite a show, I'm going to have to take the boat ride over to see it.Cars from all over.Down at the terminal when alot of the cars were going over.One guy was driving a Hummer,towing a trailer with a porsche on it, and on the back of that a BMW on a dolly.I don't think he worked at MacDonalds hahaha.Where did you get your 69? Greg.

#21 ·
Oh yeah, I never got to see much of targa, besides what was on the news. My chevelle came from over in southern oregon! Was quite a trek to get that back over this way, had alot of conflicts and snags. Now that I think of it, alot of parts got swipped at one leg of the journey. Thankfully, however they were only cosmetic stuff and all the casted dated parts were not touched. They even removed the rear window! To make it worse, the shipping company was from san fransisco and the cost to take it to court dwarfed any benefits. About Corner Brook and snow, your right about that amount, shovelling the driveway gets to be a task if you have to toss it 5 feet above you! This year is a freak one however, there isn't practically any snow around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.