Team Chevelle banner

My 70's passenger side front carpet is wet when it rains! Why?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DONTWANT2 
#1 ·
Anyone ever had this problem? I have a 70 Chevelle, resealed the heater core blower housing when I had the front sheetmetal off to rebuild the front end and install new HE 262 Comp cam. Thought my wet floor problems were over. Is it coming in through some body seam I am unaware of?

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Typical for the body seam sealer on top of cowl to be dried out and cracked and letting water in.

Water will not come in anywhere around the windshiled frame unless there are rust holes.

Get a good flashlight or shop light and lay on the floor on your back and have somebody pour water along the cowl area and you'll probably be able to see where it's coming in. It's probably running right down thru the cowl seams and running down the firewall.

The kickpanel vents are sealed off pretty good. That gummy sealer does get dry and hard and crack and it is possible for water to come thru there.

#5 ·
Hi Yankee,

Leaks in this area on my 71 Monte have come from 2 places:

1 - the kick panel vent/air door assembly behind the kick panel has a mastic behind it. If this is original and has never been removed, the mastic dries out and separates, allowing water that flows down inside the cowl and around the sides to come in. I sealed mine in with urethane back in '92 and it lasted until this rainy season. Had been leaking for years before that. Do the same for the drivers side.

2 - the seams in the floor where the main firewall metal is mated to the main floor pan had a ribbon of sealer from the factory. It had failed, and would allow water in when I drove through deep puddles. Sealed it with urethane also.

So far, knock on wood, no leaks anywhere areound the main cowl plenum or top of cowl.

Good luck,
Tom

#6 ·
My 72 gets wet also. Only while driving, If parked it stays dry. I think it may be the seal on the plate that covers the steering coloumn. I haven't checked yet but i think thats the spot as it runs down between my feet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.