Team Chevelle banner

Fasteners

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Greg P 
#1 ·
Just got an assembly manual for my 72 Chevelle. I see all the nuts, bolts, clips, screws, ect, ect, ect.... all have GM part numbers. They don't tell you the size or dimensions of any of these parts so you can't exactly go to the local hardware store and ask for certain fasteners you're missing. Can you go to a part store and order this kind of stuff by part number? Anybody know of a website to decode these part numbers or order these fasteners?

#2 ·
Thousands and thousands of years ago, GM published a catalog--in actual paper--called the Standard Parts Catalog.

It was a treasure-trove of wonderful semi-universal parts like fasteners, electrical connectors, trim clips, etc.

Last few times I've asked GM parts counterpeople about the Standard Parts Catalog, they look at me like they're deer in my headlights. I've 'bout given up.

If you're lucky, a few of those GM numbers will cross to something at NAPA or Carquest.

#3 ·
Once you have it from the assembly manual, try just Google searching the part number. That's the way I was able to find the specs for the little bolt that holds the starter support bracket to the side of the block on my '70 Elco. You may also want to add words like "bolt" or "GM" to the search if you get back too much crap. You'd be surprised how much info is just sitting there stored on the web and accessible with a Google search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.