Team Chevelle banner

1970 Chevelle LS6 quarter mile time

19K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Keith Tedford 
#1 ·
As I recall when tested as a new car, the 1970 Chevelle LS6 ran a 13 something, I can't remember if it was a 13.4 or a 13.8.

My question is this....when they tested the car at the strip in 1970, did they run slicks on the rear? Or bias plys?

I ask because I always thought they ran the car bone stock out of the box, right down to the factory bias ply tires. But I have another guy trying to tell me they ran slicks on the rear and that the car ran 13's with slicks and 14's with the bias ply tires.

Anyone know for sure which was ran to get the 13 second time reported in 1970?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Hi Dave,
Fastest recorded ET's for an LS6 car back in late 1969/1970 was 13.20 @ 106 by Super Stock and Car Craft banged a 13.12 @ 107 MPH
All where done on the factory F70 14 tires
Super Stock magazine had a pre-production test mule that they tested in the Oct. 69 issue that turned a 12.69 @113.26 w/slicks and open headers, Auto too.

How is that T-Type treating you?

#3 ·
You wouldn't happen to know where I can find a copy of the super stock and car craft runs online would you? I want to use it as solid proof to shut this guy up. Thanks!

How is that T-Type treating you?
It's doing ok. I've not driven it much since I moved out of NC a month ago. I am still having some knock retard issues with it. My fuel pressure is good, I installed a Turbo Tweak chip and bumped up the fuel curves some....and that helped a little, I have a hot wire kit installed, now the next thing I am going to do is drop the tank and install a new Walbro 255 lph pump I have. I am suspecting it might still have the stock fuel pump in it. Next I want to install a new down pipe and exhaust and start looking into getting it ready for the track.

Although I do miss my Chevelle, even though it was a pig at the pump. I even considered trading the T for one if I found one I liked. (probably not gonna happen)

#8 ·
There can be quite a range in ETs depending on how the same car is set up. Our COPO Chevelle came from the factory with #68 primary jets and #76s in the secondaries. The advance curve didn't come in fully until around 5000 rpm. To say the least it didn't perform all that well and wouldn't launch at all with the no traction F70 X 14 Uniroyals. Just headers, jetting and advance curve changes made it like a different car. Still wouldn't launch at all but sure hauled once it did hook up. Adding slicks would knock several tenths off the et as the higher hp cars could easily lose 3-4 tenths right off the line with stock tires. Magazines tested in various modes, so it is hard to compare numbers without knowing what was done to the car first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.