Team Chevelle banner

New Best

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  timvantol 
#1 ·
Went to the Redding,CA Dragstrip on the 14th. Rained all week up till Friday night, but I hooked up just fine on Saturday.

Last time out I was having an issue with a 1st gear bind at higher rpm, but Hughes sent me a new valvebody and it works great now! I am still having a weird issue were idling or cracked throttle in 1st gear will shudder. Trying to stage the car was somewhat of a pain, but when I stab the throttle it seems fine.

Ran my cord-showing Radial TA's just for the heck of it the first pass and got my 11 second street tire pass (11.97@117.44mph). 2.01 60':boring:

Threw on the 26x8.5 slicks and ran:

R/T .001
60' 1.58
1/8 7.24@93.45mph
1/4 11.40@117.2

Very happy with how it ran! I am going to exchange the 2.5" exhaust and spintech's for a good mandrel bent 3" exhaust with magnaflows. That along with some 1.6 rockers will hopefully get me into the 11.20's on motor.:beers:

I had been messing with the jetting and had it way rich, but I forgot my jets to mess with at the track.:sad:

See less See more
#3 ·
I am also going to try the 28x10.5 slick next time out. Peak power is at 6000rpm and I am crossing the line at around 6600rpm. I can feel it hit about 6300rpm, and really struggle to pull that extra couple hundred rpm.

#5 ·
It was a bittersweet night... Had a bet with someone and lost. Best 2 of 3 races and the loser polishes the others wheels once a month for a year.

I beat him motor to motor the first pass, but on the second pass he all of a sudden gained 6mph in the 1/8th.... knew something was up right away. He pulled over on the return road to pull a plug and I "helped" him with a flashlight... did a triple take when I saw the second regulator.:sad:

Third pass I treed him bad and thought I had him. At the 1000ft. mark I turned and saw him at my rear bumper... at the 1/4 I was at HIS back bumper. 11.41 to his 10.99, but he only beat me by a tenth.:cool:

Ran again motor to motor just for fun and beat him.

#7 ·
Hopefully I am going to be able to put some videos and pictures up tomorrow. The car sure feels good with a 1.58 60' :yes:

The funniest comment about my car was from a younger guy in an old chevy stepside with a 454. He asked me what I was running and I said 11's (he was running 13's). I ran 11.53 against his 13.60, but he got out in the staging lanes after the pass and said his big block was reeling me in since I had a small block... problem was he was about 20mph slower:confused: I thought he was joking at first, but he was bragging about it to all the guys with him...

Some people:sad:

#8 ·
Great job! I wouldn't worry about the young kid. But a 13.60 in an old stepside truck with a 454 isn't too shabby! It probably made his day to compare himself with your car. Everyone who saw the time posted knows the real deal. At least it might keep him in the sport. Not nearly as many young kids into drag racing this day and age. :(

#9 ·
It was just really hilarious listening to him. I hear ya about the younger generation thing... I am 20 years old and am the youngest person who goes and cruises with the guys who are 50-60 years old.

#11 ·
I will hopefully be up there next street legal as well. I might not have the exhaust, but I will try out the taller slicks and maybe some 1.6 rockers if I can find a good set to borrow. If they help I will just buy a set, but I don't want to drop $400 on a set if they don't help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.