Team Chevelle banner

4WD El Camino project

31K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Bowtie70ss 
#1 ·
#2 ·
i love 4x4 el caminos. I remember reading an article in Pick, Van, & 4wd magazine when I was a teen about a guy in SoCal who made 2, used 1/2 ton axles and transfer case. welded his own leaf spring brackets (slotted in the front for suspension forgiveness). I think they were a 68 and 69.

#3 ·
I think they are kinda neat too... something different. I remember seeing one at the el camino drags at LA county raceway running the 1/4 back in the late 80's. I don't think I would like the 4X4 conversion when it's a super sport though.

#8 ·
Hi Ron, really cool 4x4 conversion! I like the stout and aggressive stance in your design, really cool. So I guess now we can be called the 'Odd Couple' although I still haven't been able to sneak the check book away from my wife for my mid engine design waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa or maybe we can get Chip Foose to turn loose? Oh well Have Fun

#9 ·
I'd like to see someone do a 4x4 El Camino in a Pro Touring vein. Think like making it in the lines of an Audi Quattro or a Subaru WRX: 4 wheel drive but with an ultimate high performance style instead of an off-road style.

#10 ·
I'd like to see someone do a 4x4 El Camino in a Pro Touring vein. Think like making it in the lines of an Audi Quattro or a Subaru WRX: 4 wheel drive but with an ultimate high performance style instead of an off-road style.
that would be sweet! especially since it would be an elco that hooks up the tires!:D

#15 ·
I have seen quite a few 4WD conversions, including a true 70 SS454 Convertible (I know it gave me a small heart attack), a pinto wagon,81 malibu wagon, 79 Camaro, and some I can't remember right now. I think the 68-72 Elcamino's look the best, although I could never bring myself to do it. Here is a pretty cool car:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.