Team Chevelle banner

Help Lifter niose Lunati voodoo cam

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Tom Mobley 
#1 ·
I am going crazy I built my 454 into a 496 long story there. Anyhow I have a lifter noise coming from my left side of the motor. It is coming from an exhaust lifter /valve. The motor has 580 miles on it. Cam lifters and springs all Lunati voodoo cam 60104. On the dyno the cam was broke in with only 1 spring. then the springs installed to spring pressure of 100. I did not here it at first on the dyno until I listen to the video of it again over and over. The sound would come and go, also have a little of lifter float at 5500 rpms. So I shimmed it to 120 on the spring pressure. It still comes and goes the lifter noise. And the valve float is still there. Oil pressure is 60 to 70 going down the road. Noise is not there at an idle but going down the road. Also I am running roller rockers, I have swapped rockers around and it has not changed. and adjusted the lash to 1/2 turn past 0.
Please help I am going nuts on this.​
:clonk: :clonk: :clonk:​

#3 ·
are you sure it's not an exhaust leak? sometimes exhaust leaks at the header flange sound just like valve tapping. is this a hydraulic tappet cam? Also, I don't understand the part about breaking in with a single spring, them installing the inners to get only 100 lbs on the seat? that really doesn't sound right. can you post the info on the springs along with the current installed height? does the cam call for 120 on the seat? if it doesn't I certainly wouldn't shim up to it.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I guess I just am not familiar with needing a dual spring to get 100Lbs seat pressure. anyway, since 120 is on the edge of being a longevity problem, the cam asks for 100 and the 120 didn't help the problem I would back that change out. do you know how to use the EO/IC method of adjusting the valves? I would do that next, adjust the valves carefully to zero lash or just a touch of preload. run it that way for awhile, see what it sounds like. note any changes in the symptoms. then you can check to see if any have become loose, which would indicate an accelerated wear problem. if it remains stable a couple weeks then adjust all the valves carefully to 3/4 turn preload, see if resolves the problem. if none of this works it may not be a valvetrain related problem at all.

#6 ·
100 lbs seat pressure has got to be a typo. My 60203 which is smaller & calls for single springs call for 124 @ the seat.

#7 ·
The cam card link you posted is for a SBC
usually 120 lbs. on the seat is more than sufficient for a BBC hydraulic flat tappet that has some lift.
I used to run Crane single springs with my UD 280/288 that where 90 lbs. on the seat.

btw,nice looking 70 SS you have there

I have had quite a few BBC valve covers that would rub on the intake rockers and make some noises

#8 · (Edited)
AlsChevelle said:
The lunati springs are a 2 spring valve spring. I removed the iner spring for the brake in period then installed the iner spring. I then shimed to get the 100psi spring pressure and 1.75 on the height. According to Lunati that is the recomended setting. here is the link for the card. Also it is not a exhaust leak I have that.
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/60104.pdf
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/INST150.pdf
sorry I gave the info on my 400 small block in my truck. ME BAD.:clonk:
this is the right info.http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/60204.pdf I started at 120 and went to 140 with the 1.820 height. the cam in my truck I have had no problems with. and I like that one alot.
I have pulled the valve covers and no rubbing now. there was 2 I had to round off a little by top because of rubbing.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.