Team Chevelle banner

1974 Laguna S-3 454

4K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Mr69 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a guy who wants to trade this 1974 Laguna S-3 for my 1997 Firebird 3.8 liter. Although I wasn't necessary looking for this type of car, I do like it. Here are some specs he told me.

454 BB
Auto-tranny
700 Holley Carb
Holley High rise Intake
Headers
Accel Coil
55,xxx miles
The guy says the paint is 5 weeks old. I can't really judge from pictures, but I should be going to look at it soon.

http://img689.imageshack.us/g/1011539.jpg/

There is the link to the album. Does anybody know approx how much something like this is worth? I'm not sure if I can afford the gas this baby "sips" up, and I don't want to stuck paying for it if I can't sell it.

I really appreciate any help you guys can offer! Drive safe!

Thanks,
Austin

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not really sure on the value. If I had to guess I would say between $5-8K. You mentioned not being able to afford the gas. Does that mean you would be using it as a daily driver? I don't believe a Chevelle with a 454 would be a good daily driver. However if you wanted this car as a collector vehicle then I would say go for it. These cars while right now are of a lesser value than 64-72 Chevelles they will slowly continue to increase in value. However one thing to consider would be the availability of parts for this particular car!! Personally I am a fan of white paint jobs. This paint could use some accent color/stripes added to it!!!

#3 ·
You'd be money ahead making that trade. The chevelle would be easier to sell than a vanilla 6cyl firebird, I see them practically given away of late. It's just an economic decision if you can't tolerate the 454 as a daily driver and then you'd have to weigh the pain and suffering of trying to sell a car.

Jerry

#4 ·
If this won't be your primary means of transportation, I'd trade a V6 Firebird for a big block Chevelle any day.

I really like the '73-'77 Chevelles. If the car looks as good in person as it does in the pics, I'd be very interested negotiating a deal if I were you.

Not quite sure on value, but I'd agree with Brad and guess $5-8K if you're specifically looking for a '73-'77 Chevelle. If you could grab it for $3-4K that'd be even better IF it's as nice as the pics make it out to be.

#5 ·
I would have to drive it as a primary until I could sell it. But economically it seems wiser to take this deal and try and sell the Laguna, vs trying to sell my Firebird.As far as I know he wants to trade straight up...which made me a little nervous at first, since my car is worth 4k at best. I'll make a more informed decision and let you guys know after I look at it.

#6 ·
nice looking car i think your ahead for in trading out i would also guess 5-8 k being that's an auto trans it is a big block car right ? any way i think your ahead what are you gong to ask for the car if you trade ? let me know when you decide i would like more info thanks

#8 ·
What're ya waiting for?! :eek: Looks like a deal to me.

Actually, I would check the body/mechanical on the Laguna out and make sure it's not a worn-out bondo/rust bucket - most especially considering the fresh paint. ;)

If you don't know much about cars, get a knowledgeable friend to help you.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

#9 ·
I'd think you'd have a very tough time getting 4k for a 97 v6 firebird. My friend just sold an identical 97 3.8 bird that was show room condition with 60k for $2500 and he sat on it for 2 months before it sold. I had a mint 96 formula convertible and sat on that for a couple months and only got $4500 for it a year ago.

If the chevelle wasn't rigged up with spray foam and bondo I would trade in a heartbeat.

#10 ·
FRESH WHITE PAINT JOB...I would look the body over very carefully. Maybe that's the original color I don't know, but if it isn't then I FOR SURE would look at it close,which obviously you should anyway. It seems any time someone has a car that the body work is shoddy they paint it white to help hide how "friendly" the car is. Friendly cars wave to everyone.

#12 ·
I'd look closely at that car only for a few reasons. check the bottom of front fenders near the doors for bondo, wheel well lips on the rear especially. basically everywhere the burgandy paint is on the car! Do you have any underhood shots? I only ask because the car has an AC dash in it, but a non AC controller. Also, check out the trunk pan and passenger quarter/trunk lid, looks like it may have gotten tagged back there at some point in it's life, trunk lid doesn't line up that great.. other than that, if it's not a bondo bucket, POUNCE on that deal. you'll be money ahead..

#14 ·
Did anyone notice that it's a factory non-air car. Not many people were ordering these cars during the gas crunch for performance, yet that's what appears to have happened here since adding air on the order form would have been a couple 3 hundy at most. Ask if they found a buildsheet when they had the door panels off. That would really help this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.