Team Chevelle banner

Where to buy bulk (10lbs) of baking soda for soda blasting?

15K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  BillK 
#1 ·
I'm doing a mini-restoration on the L79 car. The L79 has come out for a new rear main seal and some touch up on the heads. I figure while it is out I can really spiff up the engine compartment and front frame and suspension that can't easily be done when the engine is in place. I'm surprised how grungy the L79 has gotten over the years. It looked great from the outside, but once sitting on an engine stand it looks pretty dirty. It will look great all cleaned up, a bit of fresh plating on some odds and ends and a fresh coat of Chevy orange.

The aluminum parts, most specifically the intake, are dirty and stained. I bought a small soda blaster to clean them up, looking forward to giving it a go. But it occurred to me: where can I buy baking soda in bulk? I can buy little boxes of it at the grocery store, but it would take a bunch to fill up the (10lb capacity) soda blaster.

Also, I really want to clean up the distributor housing but don't dare take in inside my normal blasting cabinet. Can soda blasting remove minor dirt and old paint from cast iron? I have pretty mellow media in my blast cabient, but I'd hate to get the grit inside the housing and thus inside the engine!

#4 ·
Costco sells 5 pound bags of Arm and Hammer.

#5 ·
it's not the same, what you want is coarser grain. You can get it from TIP, shipping is expensive and the stuff can't be reused like sand.

#7 ·
Will soda blasting make and intake or other aluminum parts look nice? I thought all it really would do is remove paint. It doesn't go deep enough to clean rust or stains, does it? Anybody experienced with it?

#12 ·
I am sure you guys know this, but just a reminder, anything you soda blast and intend to paint needs to really be cleaned well to ensure paint adhesion. Usually washed down with water & vinegar solution to neutralize the soda.

#14 ·
I've never tried soda on aluminum but it couldn't hurt it, it's gentle. I use plastic media in the blast cabinet also very gentle cleaning. The best way to restore an aluminum surface is to tumble with the right stones, it gives it a correct looking "skin".

#15 ·
Rich,

Have you considered using chemicals to clean the aluminum? I have used them before and been very pleased with the result. It will clean the aluminum without changing the surface. Try some aluminum wheel cleaners and follow their instructions. You can always blast later.

Anything mechanical will change the original aluminum surface.

I have closely inspected "re-skinned" aluminum parts on a number of cars and they do not look original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.