Team Chevelle banner

Anyone work at Deka batteries?

14K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Adam Loose 
#1 ·
In PA?

#3 ·
Yep,I'm looking for a new job.Lost my job last month,and been looking ever since.I don't get it with Deka though.I know 1 person working there,and they are advertising for hiring people,but the guy I know,said they are slow right now.I had an interview a couple of weeks ago,and they sent me a letter saying something like they don't have any positions right now,blah blah,etc.I wonder if this is their rejection letter,or are they keeping me on "file".
Why is it a nasty place for new people?The job market sucks now,and I don't have any formal training or degrees,etc.I have a wife and daughter to support,so I have to find something decent paying.Anything up in Blandon area?

#8 ·
I heard about the showers,but that depends on what dept your in from what I heard.For a decent job,you gotta do what you gotta do to support the family.
I've been there,a couple of times.I use their website from home also.Trouble is,nobody is hiring for a decent job unless you have a degree,which I don't.
You still work at Arrow?What do you do?Hiring?

#11 ·
I worked for Exide Battery back in the late 80's. That is no doubt the nastiest, dirtiest job I have ever done. The acid is a monster and there is no getting around it. Not sure what you are looking to do there but if you handle batteries be prepared to destroy all your clothes. The core batteries were the pain in the #$%.

#14 ·
I got word from Arrow that I was getting laid off about 15 months ago, but the move to Mexico isn't going as smoothly as they hoped. I think I'll be out of work by this summer, but I ain't holding my breath. We're talking about getting out of this area altogether and moving into the woods somewhere up north. It ain't looking good around here.

#15 ·
Tell me about it.It sucks around here.I had my last job for almost 18 years,and was making pretty good money,then I get fired for some BS.I got word that I was fired because of how much I was making,and it was a good way for the company to save money since they are slow now.I'm still wainting to see if I can collect unemployment while I'm looking for a job.I'd consider relocating for a good job,but my wife won't move away because all her family is here.

#16 ·
Adam: Your story rings true for me. I worked as an engineer for a company for 11 years and got to be the second highest paid non supervisor type in the company. That payrate was the result of years of excellent performance. Then, it seems, I was too highly paid and got canned. So, in short, you may suffer for being a good performer. If you are your own boss, that will probably not happen.

#17 ·
Adam,
First off,...sorry about the unemployment situation. Bummer when you need to support a family.:(
When I read the title of your post, I was going to say; "Contact Rick, he has had dealings with them." But he already chimed in, so that is good.
As far as your other issue, the lack of degree/formal training, maybe you would be better off collecting while going back to school for something. Anything that can raise you above the other million people seeking work like yourself. Like something in the medical field, X-ray tech, any kind of vauable trade like plumbing, electrician. Some of those fields may be slow with the crappy economy, but medical always seems to be good. Just a thought. Good luck to you!:)

#19 ·
I've already thought of that.The only problem is,I haven't heard from unemployment yet as to if I'm going to be able to collect,and I first applied in the begining of December.Most degrees take at least 1 year,and if I can't collect,I can't afford to live/support the family and go to school,etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.