Team Chevelle banner

Venting: people trying to buy my car all the time

5K views 59 replies 49 participants last post by  oktunes 
#1 ·
I love my car but sometimes it gets very frustrating trying to drive it and enjoy it.

I can deal with the "used to have one just like it", "too bad it's not a big block", "too bad it's not a 4 speed", and "is it a real SS?", but my big pet peeve is when a person asks if it's for sale and I tell them no. But they insist and I throw out my "I would be retarded not to sell for this" bottom dollar.

Then they get pissed at me like I was the one who was trying to get them to buy it.

I drove the car to the office this morning and first thing a guy came in asking who owned it and if it was for sale. I told him it was not for sale as I have owned it 10 years and am attached to it. He kept insisting "everything is for sale" so my exact words were "well it is but not for any price a sane person would pay". He kept on about it. I finally told him just leave his name and number and I would think it over. While writing he was already starting in: "What engine does it have?" "so it's not numbers matching?" "so it's not a true SS?" and closed with "well it still needs paint and I know what these are worth".

If I list my car for sale for an outrageous price, feel free to heckle my ad. But if you come into my place of work, I tell you it's not for sale, and straight up tell you I won't sell it for less than I could duplicate it with upgrades...don't get cranky at me I'm not going to let you buy it for $4000 or something ridiculous.

My uncle offered to trade me straight across for his '99 C5 6 speed, fully loaded with z51 suspension with 86k miles on it and I turned that down without a question and that was a $13-15k car. So no, you won't buy my car for the 4 digit price it is really "worth" on the market.

I'm sure plenty of you other guys with nicer cars have to put up with this all the time too...I don't know why it bothers me so much.

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly, I think it's because of the flat black paint, people assume that you can't afford paint, you need money, you don't care about the car, and they can get it cheap... When they see a car that is shiny and looks like it's someone's "baby" they don't automatically make those assumptions.

No disrespect intended BTW, just my observation about people...

#12 ·
That is a very good point. At least when it had nice paint I got reasonable offers for it. Now everyone assumes it's junk.

if you don't want that kind of attention, then don't drive around in an old car.
it's as simple as that.

it's like a hot woman that walks around in a bikini top and Daisy Duke shorts and gets pissed because all the guys are staring at her..
Like I said I don't mind the attention in general. But just because a girl wears short shorts doesn't mean you should go up to her and ask her how much, then when she says she's not a hooker offer her some low ball dollar.

#4 ·
This literally happened to me yesterday, I was unloading groceries from the trunk and a family pulled up, "is that for sale"? , "not really", "well what would you take for it"? I gave him a price and he and his wife jump out of thier car and start looking it over. They were nice enough, and then it started, "it's not a GTO", "I'm not asking GTO money", "Let me call my brother, he knows Pontiacs".....

So... Then all of a sudden I have an offer for $1,500 less than I'm asking. I tell him no, and he goes into the economy thing, I tell him that's exactly why it isn't for sale and I'm fine keeping it. Anyway after a few minutes I tire of the conversation and head in the house. A few minutes later there is a knock on the door and he's standing there with cash, but not enough cash, I tell him thanks anyway and close the door. This is one of the milder confrontations I've had, from people calling me names, to telling me I'm a crook, to actually telling me they'd haul one of my cars for free. My cars are usually middle of the road, and I ask middle of the road money, if you don't like it, move on....

I can't understand somebody knocking on your door, asking about a car that's not for sale, then pitching a fit when they don't get it. It frustrates me to no end...

#6 ·
if you don't want that kind of attention, then don't drive around in an old car.
it's as simple as that.

it's like a hot woman that walks around in a bikini top and Daisy Duke shorts and gets pissed because all the guys are staring at her..

#7 ·
Sometimes the easiest way is to just throw a number out there so high they don't even try to counter offer and obviously won't pay

#8 ·
I've had a few people want to buy the Buick, but the biggest problem I have is a certain class of people in Memphis who shall remain unnamed who gravitate toward Bruricks. I'll have a group of people hanging around my car with their kids and their strollers and of course they don't keep control of their kids. The show where the hood got damaged the missiz saw this happening and kids were wiping their damn hands all over it and rocking it and opening the doors etc like it was some damn used car lot. Anymore I just want to keep it in the garage or just take it out for joyrides or maybe to the occasional small show where I can keep an eye on it and never never NEVER take it to a show that is connected with another event like a fair unless I am prepared to sit by it and keep those types of people away.

I get more with the vert, but always people who want me to give it to them for some insane price.

#13 ·
I tell people all the time "not a penny less than $25.000" i know my car isnt worth that much, but its mine. and as far as the attention, eh...it comes with owning a bad ass car. try to enjoy it.

#41 ·
X2 I give them the apraisal price 28k. My wife says I have a face people don't argue with, always been sort of a Shrek but harmless, so nice people say nice car and idiots keep walkin'.:D:beers:

#14 ·
how much yew wown fer it?

not for sale

evrthangs fer sale

$50k

it ayn worth thayet much!!

it is to me. have a nice day

#16 ·
how much yew wown fer it?

not for sale

evrthangs fer sale

$50k

it ayn worth thayet much!!

no, but someone stupid might give me that much, and I thought you might be that guy
fify :D

#15 ·
What engine does it have?" "so it's not numbers matching?" "so it's not a true SS?" and closed with "well it still needs paint and I know what these are worth".
Funny how so many people are experts but yet how many of them have actually turned a wrench on one or know what kind of money goes into making them run correct, let alone even restoring them.

I think it's another side effect of Barrett Jackson Syndrome.

I prefer to just laugh at people like this....

#18 ·
I usually toss out a number but didn't feel like doing it in the office in front of coworkers.

I usually toss out $20k if I think they might be serious about wasting money, if I know they're full of it I tell them $30k just to see their reaction.

Then I could sell my truck too and get a used C6 Z06. :D

#19 ·
I get this too. It is never from anyone with dignity, always lowlifes. People with dignity know better. I get it at the gas station, and red lights, at show n shines, at dairy queen, etc. You'd figure that something like this would be flattering...it's not. It is a nuisance.

I'm susceptible to all sorts of criticisms, "oh, it's only a 350?" or "it's not an SS?" or "it's not a 4 speed?" Ask me if I care.

#29 ·
You must be a youngster.:D Patience comes with age and so does jerking a person around them not knowing it.;)

Classic used car salesman trait:D

Usually when confronted with someone interested in my toys I just say

"Let's discuss my mortgage"

That usually sends them on their way.

#23 ·
I have found if the car doesnt have paint or look like its in nice condition, such as a rolling and driving project or a primer rod. Then these people will always come out of the woodwork to ask you how much. Sometimes, ill just tell these people yes to all the typical questions like is it original? Is it this, is it that? The only answer thier questions get a no to is if its for sale. If they keep with the name your price crap. You can always tell them its been in the family since new and our heirlooms arent for sale. They usually get the hint then.

#24 ·
Never had anyone want mine enough to offer me stupid money. :noway: If I got the right size wad of cash in my hand though, it would be sold, and I'd buy another to play with. Just good comments on occasion from passers by, or the occasional thumbs up. I was at gas station a few weeks ago in the Chevelle filling up, and an older gent (very nice guy) in an older truck next to me was talking my ear off. I just say thanks, and move on. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
As I slowly pull into the back rows at a local car show a guy with his girl friend comes over by the pass window and yells "I'll give you 2 grand for it right now" I look him straight in the eye and say you couldn't buy the motor for 2 grand.He had no comeback at all but his girlfriend was laughing histerically.
And yes Derek it was/is in primer. ;) er,I mean suede. :D

#27 ·
I was driving the Firebird one night when a guy pulls up next to me at a light driving a minivan. He tells me he had one just like it in high school, then asks if it's for sale. I wasn't selling it at the time, but I told him "hell yeah, everything's for sale!". He asks how much. "$18,000 right now and it's yours." He says it's a bit high, so I replied "it's a lot cheaper and a lot more fun to drive than that minivan you have." The smile on his face melted away as he realized I was right. l:)

#31 ·
I was driving the Firebird one night when a guy pulls up next to me at a light driving a minivan. He tells me he had one just like it in high school, then asks if it's for sale. I wasn't selling it at the time, but I told him "hell yeah, everything's for sale!". He asks how much. "$18,000 right now and it's yours." He says it's a bit high, so I replied "it's a lot cheaper and a lot more fun to drive than that minivan you have." The smile on his face melted away as he realized I was right. l:)
Good one....Everytime i take mine out some jackass in a pickup wants to race...so i blip the throttle and he takes off like a bat outta hell and i laugh.
Someday all this crap will go away and i can drive mine in peace.

#28 ·
The last time I was pressed about selling my SS.:mad: I told the guy $100,000. Of course, the guy started with the usual.:boring: Then I countered, well friend its $25,000 for the car and $75,000 :thumbsup:for my signature on the title, paper work. Of course this lead to, you’re an A$$ Hole deal, then I countered I am not the A$$ Hole walking around insulting people who actually own a collectable car and incorrectly making observations, on a car that he knew nothing about. let's just say he left quickly and my signature is still a deal breaker:yes:

#30 ·
When they see a car that is shiny and looks like it's someone's "baby" they don't automatically make those assumptions.
most times not some are just ignorant

Took the 67 into work on a night off just to pick my check up then left. MOst the guys saw it.

Following night a guy at work approached me and asked if its for sale
Said not really just finished it.

"Ill give you 10k for it"
Told him I was in the motor over 12 top to bottom he could not comprehend that. 7-8k will get him something decent but still needing a lot of work.

Said look, Id be super happy in my dream world with 40..I will take 35k
In the car over twice that....he just stared slackjawed.

Nicely told him its not the car for him anyhow he wouldnt know how to maintain it nor would any "mechanic" he brought it to.

May not be truly worth that much but to give it away for the price these 6 mo quickie restos go for...couldnt replace it with anything this nice.

#32 ·
At one point I decided to just respond with some absurd price when I'd get this, but then the moron would start telling me how it wasn't worth that much.. I was dreaming if I thought it was worth that etc... so now I just tell them they couldn't afford it and walk away...

#33 ·
I used to get it all the time with my first '65 Elky. I always said no and usually that was the end of it. I did ask one guy what he would have offered, it was the typical lowball crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.