Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"SS" Fender Emblem Location

47K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  70cko4sp 
#1 ·
I am attempting to mount the "SS" and "454" emblems in roughly the orignial location on my car. The problem is locating the right spot on the new fender.

The assembly manual does a great job of placing the two "S" emblems and "454" relative to each other but my problem is finding the right spot on the fender to mount the group. The manual shows a 20 line and a +5 line, but I have no idea where to measure them from.

The original fenders were gone when I got the car so measuring on them is not an option.

Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Refer to the LH & RH diagrams, shown on each one is a "5" and a "20" in a small circle. Those two numbers are used to create reference lines from which all other measurements are taken. The 20 means a line 20" up from the bottom of the fender, while the 5 means a line 5" forward of the back of the fender. Use a digital dial caliper to make measurements shown in the manual.

When ready to make transfer punch marks, I would suggest applying masking tape in the area of your marks (first with a sharpie) before punching. Check the horizontal marks with a level, matched to the "levelness" of the bottom of the fender, not the body line above. The body line is not level, but descends towards the front of the car.

The 454 emblems can either be the stick-on type, or the manual also covers the placement of holes for original style emblems with studs.

#3 ·
I'm about to do the same thing. I have one with the right holes I think(got it off ebay). I was going to make a template from it and then bolt it to the other fender's three "el camino" holes and drill through it for the SS/396 emblems. Anyway could you post a pic of that page in the assembly manual?

You would think someone would sell a template for this.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Originally posted by RAT396:
very cool, thanks gregg. Do you know if it's the same for a '70?

btw awesome velle's, what did you paint the chasis with?
Yup....70, 71 & 72 are all the same emblem placement. My chassis on the '71 Pro Touring Chevelle was powdercoated. Looks like glossy black paint!

#7 ·
Hey Riskyvt, do you know if the 5" line from the back of the fender is from its most forward location, or rear location? If you notice, the back of the fender is curved.

Thanks for the help!

#8 ·
Hey Rat396, if you can tell me exactly what you want, I will draw it up for you. I actually drew a scale template for mine in AutoCAD. If I can find the +5 and 20 line, all I have to do is tape it on and drill.

#9 ·
Well I just went out and measured my "good" fender and it's not even close to th 20/5 mark. It's more like 18.5/8.5. Either El Camino SS emblems have a different placement than Chevelles or I have a very poorly cloned fender. Looks factory to me though.
Anybody got a '70 El Camino assembly manual that can help me out?

thnx, pat

#10 ·
My manual has the Elky it in it, should be in your email......

#11 ·
Here’s what I did. First, I grabbed my 1969 Chevelle Assembly Manual and opened it to the UPC diagram for placement of the SS396 emblems. The placement of the SS396 emblems uses a “Base Point” as a starting point for drilling the holes to mount the two S’s and the 396 emblem. I thought it was crazy that there’s actually no hole at the Base Point… It’s just a spot to start measuring from. Next, because all the measurements in the Manual are in 100ths I got some Grid Paper printed with 10 lines per inch (http://incompetech.com). I drew a horizontal line just above the bottom of the paper and on an existing line. Then I drew a vertical line down the middle of the paper on an existing line. The point where the two lines cross will be the Base Point in my diagram. I then made the measurements for the emblem holes (measure twice, drill once). I found that you often have to plot where one hole is in order to be able to plot where some other holes go. I had my emblems nearby to help me do the plotting. Once all the holes were plotted out on my grid paper with little crosses, I went out to the car. I held my level against the bottom of the rocker panel and used my floor jack to jack up the front of the car so the rocker panel was level. My next task was to measure 5 inches forward from the bottom rear of the fender. I placed a strip of (green) masking tape to cover that spot. I drew a short vertical line near the bottom of the fender at the 5 inch point. I then used a 90 degree angle to measure up 20 inches from the bottom edge of the fender (following the curve of the fender) making sure the measurement was true vertical. I covered that whole area with more masking tape and then drew a cross at the spot (5 inches forward and 20 inches up) that will correspond to the Base Point. Remember: The factory emblems were installed very close to the bottom of the D80 Stripe. I then taped my grid paper diagram onto the fender by matching up the fender’s Base Point with the Base Point on the grid paper. I used my level to make sure the lines on the paper were level. Next, I took a punch and a lightweight hammer and made dimples as starting points for the drill bit. Just tap lightly with the hammer, if you hammer too hard you’ll get the fender to bounce the punch around. Once all the starter dimples were made I used a new 11/64ths drill to drill the holes. Regardless of how careful you are you will get some drill walk. I used the emblems to judge where I needed final corrections and finished the holes with the proper size drill. To save in frustration, before mounting the new emblems I took the speed nuts and started the nuts on the emblem’s posts. Then I removed the tape and mounted the emblems and had a beer.

#12 ·
I see that Ground Up (love those guys) is now selling a template for the correct placement of the SS396 emblems. P/N: TFT-69SS

Part Description:
This is a 1970, 1971, or 1972 Chevelle SS fender emblem template which was blueprinted from an original GM fender to provide you with the correct mounting points for your SS fender emblems.

Part Notes:
Does not fit El Camino

#13 ·
The top of the SS emblems might be 20 inches from the bottom of the fender on a 69 but not on the 70-72.
Mine are around 17 inches from the lower edge of the fender to the top of the SS. The edge of the S is 4.5" form the inner curve of the fender.
I measured from the bottom of the 396 to the bottom of the fender and it was around 13.5".
This is a rough measurement since it doesn't allow for the curvature of the fender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.