Team Chevelle banner

POR Strip I cant get the spray bottles to work? HELP!!!!

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TC 
#1 ·
I must have been asleep in the spray bottle 101 class or somthing?
I cant get the striper to go through these sprayers.
They will pump water just fine but as soon as I put the sprayer into the POR strip , it quits? Then it wont even spray water!
The people at POR think im nuts, how hard can it be to spray through a spray bottle?
Is there another way? The stuff doesnt work well when brushed or rolled (I tried it).
I am using there "special" sprayers, and they say they have had NO problems with them?
What can I be doing wrong? Is anyone other than me having this problem? Am I the only one in the country that cant work a spray bottle?
HELP!!!!!!!
Thanks T.C.

#2 ·
I take it you're using those Preval sprayers. Pull that little screen off the bottom of the pickup tube. You may have to mix in a little Por solvent. But we spray some fairly thick paints through those where I work. It should work with Por strip better than with the teflon paints we use.

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 12-17-2000).]

#3 ·
The POR strip uses a pump action spray bottle. Could the stripper have some gel in it that is clogging the sprayer? When you pull the trigger, is there a lot of pressure against the trigger or does it feel like it's free-wheeling? I think a lot of pressure would indicate a plugged nozzle, no pressure would be a plugged pick-up tube.
Their catalog shows an adjustable spray nozzle, if you've adjusted on it, take it off to look inside (but don't shoot yourself the the eye!)
But then again I could be wrong. I was studying electron flow instead of spray bottle theory.

#4 ·
Thanks guys!
Yes I have taken them apart to clean the nozzle, I have taken the filter off the bottom, I at first get pressure then I get nothing?
Yes there are little white particles floating around in this stuff that do clogg the filter and the nozzle. But one would think it would still spray untill it cloggs?

NOT?
The only spray bottle I can get to work for awhile is from a Wendex bottle? I think it's amonia resistant?
I have four sprayers coming from the POR company (they have been very good about this)tomorrow so I will try them, if they dont work Im stumped?
I was hoping someone knew of a metal pressure type sprayer that would be resistant to these chemicals?
Like a bug sprayer or??????
thanks again T.C.

#5 ·
T.C.
I just remembered, in my previous life when I was refinishing antique furniture, I would get the gallons of stripper that came with a spray bottle. These would work well but you had to flush them with clear water before the chemical sat in the pump too long. It would melt the inside of the pump. So it was spray on the stripper and clean up the sprayer while it "worked".
Your pumps may also be failing due to the harsh chemical. The other current post on POR stripper reminded me of this.

#6 ·
I would agree with you, but the stripper isnt even hitting the pump long enough to spray a square foot before stoping to pump?
I can then clean the pump and it will spray water, but as soon as I put more por strip into the bottle and it reaches the pump, it quits pumping? After that the pump is ahot!
I agree they are getting eaten up by the stripper, POR disagrees and says im doing something wrong? whats to do wrong with a pump bottle?
Im not bashing anybody I just want to use the product?
any help?
Thanks T.C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.