Team Chevelle banner

Evaporator to cowl seal? 1966 AC car

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sltouchstone 
#1 ·
Is there supposed to be some sort of seal between the evaporator & houseing and the metal inside the kick panel cowl area on a 1966 AC car?

Anyone have any photos of what this is supposed to be like?

There is a plastic/fiberglass shield over the top of the evaporator- but there is a good 1/4" -3/4" gap between it and the metal inside the kick panel cowl.

Trying to help a friend of mine figure out why water from the cowl keeps coming into his AC system

thnx-
Ben

#2 ·
October 3,2010

Rambo;

Yes, there is a foam/rubber gasket that seals out the elements and seals in the cold air. The "gasket" has edges that over lap the evaporator housing and the inside of the kick panel and finally the air duct assembly. This gasket is important to keep water out of the car and evaporator. You can see a picture of this in a 1966 chassi shop manuel on page 1A-65.

I know that I am writing you almost a year later, but I am restoring my AC now. I NEED THAT SEAL! Maybe you might have found a supplier/part number or figured a new way to seal that opening. Hope I help and I hope you can help me.

thanks
Stan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.