Question about 57 Chevy Rear [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Question about 57 Chevy Rear

gspan1830
Jun 30th, 05, 10:28 PM
Just watched my neighbor pull the pumpkin out of his Hotrod, he broke it over the weekend. Anyway its a 57 Chevy rear, he counted the teeth on the ring (37) and on the pinion (10) Did Chevy make a 3.70 rear back then?

dyno jonn
Jun 30th, 05, 10:45 PM
3.70 and 3.08, 3.36, 3.54?, 4.11, 4.56, and aftermarket 4.88, 5.13, 5.38, 5.57 and maybe even 6.17

big gear head
Jun 30th, 05, 10:47 PM
Eaton has a new posi out for those old '55-'64 Chevy rear ends. It doesn't require the "P" case like the originals did.

Mike Feudo
Jul 1st, 05, 12:24 AM
The std rear gears for a manual trans in 55-56 (same basic rear) were 3.70. It is a really weak rear end even with something with as little torque as a 283.

Cam
Jul 1st, 05, 12:48 AM
Way back the rodders would put a '57 Pontiac or Oldsmobile rear into their hopped up tri-five Chevy. It's amazing that those early rear ends can still hold together behind the old 409s.

gspan1830
Jul 1st, 05, 8:39 AM
This one was doomed, the fluid was way low and looked like black mud. One of the spider gears broke. The axles have the pressed on bearing with O-Rings with a four bolt retainer much like a Ford 9 incher. I thought that was kinda strange, i didn't know they used O-Rings back in the day and i didn't see any seals just the O-Rings.

Mike Feudo
Jul 1st, 05, 12:42 PM
They changed in 58 to the more modern style if I remember correctly. The 09s usually didn't break the rear ends because of traction issues. Too much torque and lozy tires, they just smoked the tires until you lifted.

OLDED
Jul 1st, 05, 7:04 PM
The rear end center sections are interchangeable from 55 through 64 in all full size chevys. Some carriers are a bit different but the entire center sections are fully interchangeable. We used to mark a straight line the full length of the axle and pull them out to check them regularly for twist. When they had a full turn or so - we'd change them. The "Salisbury"type 12 bolt as begun in the Chevelles in 64 and the full size in 65 were definitely revolutionary in comparison in strength. The old drop out type was about the same strength as an early 10 bolt, if in good condition. I still have a 4:11 posi in my old 59 Vette and it takes all the 270 hp.,283 with 2 4bbls and a 4 speed can put out. I have a spare 3:31 pegleg stored away in case I ever need it. OLDED

gspan1830
Jul 1st, 05, 11:54 PM
He is putting in a pumpkin with a 2.88 gear (i thinks thats what he said it was) but the ring gear on the pumpkin is larger and hits the back of the housing. He heated it up and pounded it out a little to make it fit.
That old stuff is interesting, still doing its job after all these years.

Surfcat64
Jul 2nd, 05, 9:27 AM
This could be a big help to your friend.
http://chevy.tocmp.com/booklets/5506top01.htm

gspan1830
Jul 2nd, 05, 8:11 PM
Thanks Surfcat

DZAUTO
Jul 4th, 05, 3:40 AM
The 55-64 style rearend (also 56-62 Vette and 62-3 Chevy II) is really a good sturdy rearend if properly built, especially with some of the upgrades that are now available. An old, tired rearend that hasn't had much maintenance (if any) certainly isn't going to stand up to much abuse. Since this is a Chevelle site and not a full size Chevy site, most people here are probably not aware that this same style rearend was used behind 63-64 425hp-409 engines. AND, another thing that most of you don't know, is that the 63 with the RPO Z-11 pkg had this same rear with 30 spline axles instead of the standard 17 spline axles. This is my favorite rearend to rebuild (I've been doing these for over 40yrs) and as I said, they make a pretty stout rear. As mentioned, they are about equal to the 10bolt rears, and as many here know, a well built 10 bolt is fairly stout.
Also, as Freddie (Big Gear Head) mentioned, Eaton now makes a posi unit for these early rears. I've already installed a few for customers.
The gear ratios that were FACTORY available between 55-64 were: 3.08, 3.36, 3.55, 3.70 (NOT 3.73), 4.11, 4.56. At one time, you could buy 4.88, 5.13 and 5.36 gears from Chev parts dept. There never was (either from Chev or aftermarket) a gear higher than 3.08 for these early rears. In addition to the over the counter gears that Chev offered for these rears, they also sold extra thick ring gears for installation on a 3 series carrier. For example, this allowed conversion of a 3.08, 3.36, 3.55, etc to a 4.88 without having to install a 4 series carrier.
Oh well, gone are the good ole days of rearends that were easy to build!!! Right Freddie?

gspan1830
Jul 4th, 05, 11:08 AM
DZ if i'm reading this correctly your saying that Chevy didn't make a 2.88 rear?
I thought it sounded kind of odd when he told me thats what it was.

I don't know why they quit making the removable center section. It's far better than having to take the entire rear out of the car to rebuild it and if you have two pumpkins set up you can switch gears in an afternoon easily. That was one of the reasons i put the 9 incher in my chevelle.

big gear head
Jul 4th, 05, 12:15 PM
Right. Now you have ABS and speed sensors, along with other junk. They are always changing things from year to year. It's hard to keep up whith what is what. Bring back rear wheel drive Chevy cars and the 12 bolt! :hurray:

Mike Feudo
Jul 4th, 05, 3:59 PM
Tom, what are you doing to keep the caps from blowing off. You are going to get a serious argument from me about the strength.

Jim Mac
Jul 4th, 05, 4:16 PM
not to steal the post but a friend of mine is going to be tossing a 56 or 7 rear end out, is it worth picking up? I just hate to toss anything, but I'm getting better at it. Jim

big gear head
Jul 4th, 05, 11:43 PM
Look at the front of the case. If there is a large "P" cast into the front then get it!

Mike Feudo
Jul 5th, 05, 11:28 AM
Grap the rear end the resto guys are looking for them.

DZAUTO
Jul 6th, 05, 2:25 AM
Mike,
I buy bearing cap saddles from Aubrey Bruneau. These are cap saddles which are easily fitted on top of stock bearing caps to add additional strength. Aubrey started specializing in rearend components to strengthen the 409 car rears to include a 4th arm for the axle housing, 30spline axles and axle gears for the center section and other parts. As of now, I only order the bearing cap saddles from him. These saddles are great additions to 55-7 (and up to 64) rears for standing up to bigger engines. Right now, Aubrey is out of saddles and is having some made (I have 2 customers chomping at the bit for rears that I need the saddles for). Go here then go to 409 parts http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/

Bob West
Jul 6th, 05, 12:44 PM
I used to have a 62 Impala with a MILD 350 and every weekend I would at least break spider gears, go to the junkyard, layout another 10-15.00 depending on gear ratio, put it back in and go racing again. Weak rearends at best. Ford took the idea and ran with it, made a much better setup.

DZAUTO
Jul 6th, 05, 2:24 PM
Bob,
The reason that you broke so many spider gears is because it didn't have a posi in it. JUST THE ADDITION of a posi in a 55-64 style rear will greatly increase the durability of these early rears.
I literally flog the crap out of the 63 3.08 posi in my 56 Vette (behind a SB400) with never a problem. The same exact rear in my 51 Chevy (behind a 350) also has never failed.

dyno jonn
Jul 6th, 05, 10:17 PM
US Gear / Strange Engineering also has an affordable Posi unit for the 55-64 Chevy pig type axle.

http://www.usgear.com/us_strange.htm

As Tom said about Aubreys caps, they work miracles on those old rear ends. The biggest problems on high horse cars with slicks was that the caps would break where the adjuster lock bolt went into the cap if the bite was good. Total destruction followed. In the late 60's I had steel caps made that fit over the cast factory pieces and used longer allen bolts to hold the whole affair together. Never lost another gear set. The Chevy bolt together posi was made by Dana who also made a similar posi for the 8 3/4" Mopar rear ends. We used the mopar fine spline side gears (also larger splines) in the Chevy posi with Summers Bros. axles made to mix and match. Made a pretty stout rear end. I ran a 4-speed with a Schieffer Rev-Loc (diaphragm) clutch dumping at 6000+ and could pull the front wheels of my 57 Chevy Stocker. If that's not strong enough for you go with a 57-64 Pontiac 9 3/8" pig type rear end. It's as strong as a 9" and sucks up less power.

Zman
Jul 9th, 05, 5:40 PM
Bob,
The reason that you broke so many spider gears is because it didn't have a posi in it. JUST THE ADDITION of a posi in a 55-64 style rear will greatly increase the durability of these early rears.
I literally flog the crap out of the 63 3.08 posi in my 56 Vette (behind a SB400) with never a problem. The same exact rear in my 51 Chevy (behind a 350) also has never failed.
Man...
I wish I'd known that when I had my 55 2dr post.
I went through so many center sections, I could change one in less than an hour from start to finish! I was young, and didn't have the $$ for a posi, but I could always manage to find another third member, or at least some spider gears to replace the broken stuff.
However, the one, and only time I ran the car at the track, it didn't break!
I made 5 passes, with a 4 speed, and drove it home in one piece.

jcautotech
Mar 29th, 06, 2:00 AM
is possible to install 55 chevy pumkin rear and 37 chevy this one has torque tube now i am asing t350 trans 250 eng thanks any input will be apreciate

jcautotech
Mar 29th, 06, 2:09 AM
is possible to install 55 chevy pumkin rear and 37 chevy this one has torque tube now i am asing t350 trans 250 eng thanks any input will be apreciate

DZAUTO
Mar 30th, 06, 1:19 AM
JC,
The 55-57 style rearends make an excellent swap into 54-earlier Chevys, BUT, they are becoming a little scarce these days. More and more people are using other rears which are more readily available such as those from Camaros.
The 55-57 Chevy axle housings use 55-64 drop out center sections (as well as 56-62 Vettes) and they have 11in brake drums. These rears were available with posi 57-64, and those are also becoming a little scarce as well as somewhat expensive. Fortunately, there have recently been some aftermarket posi units available to convert the non-posi 55-64 rears. My favorite is the Eaton unit. I done several Eaton conversions to 55-64 rears. The highest gear ratio in the 55-64 style rears was 3.08 and the lowest (factory installed) was 4.56, but lower gears were available from Chev parts dept as well as aftermarket.

novadude
Mar 30th, 06, 10:47 AM
My uncle had a '64 425/409 back in the late '60s. He went through several of these rears on the street. He still has a pinion stem that sheared off right behind the yoke.

The one good thing he said about these rears, was that they were a good "muncie saver". He tore through several "pumpkins" but never broke a trans. Of course, he was just swapping in used junkyard units, but he said that they didn't last well in a heavy car when you were powershifting at 6500 rpm. LOL

Philip
Apr 1st, 06, 5:00 PM
Tom JC is asking if he can just install the pumpkin from a 55 - 64 in his 37 housing to get rid of the torque tube.

dyno jonn
Apr 1st, 06, 9:39 PM
Here's the cure. Aubrey Bruneau. 409 racer from Canada.

http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/

Look for the parts page. There are all the rear end upgrades you will need to make one bulletproof.

Check out the really neat videos on there of his 409 car.

DZAUTO
Apr 2nd, 06, 6:53 PM
No, a 55-64 center section will not work in a 37 axle housing. It will only fit in a 55-64 housing. To use the 55-64 type center section will require swapping housings also.