Freiburger, why wasn't the Howard/Wayne head in the 6-banger article?? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Freiburger, why wasn't the Howard/Wayne head in the 6-banger article??

pdq67
May 15th, 05, 7:22 PM
DF,

I'm finally commenting on the GREAT 6-banger article!!

Why wasn't the old Howard/Wayne 12 port cross-flow head mentioned or was it AND I didn't realize it?

Or does it fit the later 194 to 292 6-bangers 4.40" bore centers??

And btw, what's the bore spacing of the older 216/235/261 Chevy and 270/302 GMC 6-bangers if it doesn't?

pdq67

PS., and please tell Marlin Davis it was a GREAT article!!!!

Great for the young ones to learn that we have ran such motors!!!

Eric68
May 15th, 05, 8:28 PM
PDQ -- I know you're not directing your question to me, but I also enjoyed the article. I don't know about the Howard/Wayne head you are referring to, but man that lump-porting has GOT to be EXPENSIVE !! :eek:

I enjoy these articles a lot because I still have the original 250 I-6 from my Camaro sitting under the workbench waiting for the day I have more money than brains and actually build it. I've been toying with the idea of a draw-through turbo setup -- kind of like the old Corvair turbo flat 6 motor on steroids . . .

PS. The only thing that really annoyed me about the article was that they kept referring to the engine "heads" rather than the "head" -- after all, there's only one on an I-6, right? LOL ;)

Harold Sutton
May 16th, 05, 3:22 AM
The Self's of Durant, Oklahoma know a bunch about the Chevy inline six cylinder motor as Glen Self has specialized in these motors for about thirty five or fourty years. I bet this man has seen just about every head made for this motor type. Seems like Lump is a nephew to Glen and now resides somewhere around Houston, Tx.

Greybeard
May 16th, 05, 2:48 PM
Eric,
Send me an e-mail address and I'll send you some pictures showing how to turbo the six with-out much money.

Freiburger
May 17th, 05, 12:27 AM
DF,

I'm finally commenting on the GREAT 6-banger article!!

Why wasn't the old Howard/Wayne 12 port cross-flow head mentioned or was it AND I didn't realize it?

Or does it fit the later 194 to 292 6-bangers 4.40" bore centers??

And btw, what's the bore spacing of the older 216/235/261 Chevy and 270/302 GMC 6-bangers if it doesn't?

pdq67

PS., and please tell Marlin Davis it was a GREAT article!!!!

The 12-port is for the older 216/235/261 engine.

DF

Great for the young ones to learn that we have ran such motors!!!

The 12-port is for the older 216/235/261 engine.

DF

ehjorten
May 17th, 05, 4:25 PM
If you want a 12-port for the later Chevy L6s then go to Sissells Automotive. I would love a 12-port head for my 292, but that is WAY TO MUCH coin for a single head!

pdq67
May 17th, 05, 10:50 PM
You can cut some matching SB heads up and furnace braze them back together to make a SB style, straight 6-banger head! But I figure it is alotta trouble..

And now that I think of it, I wonder how far off the newer, DOHC straight 6-banger truck motor's metric bore spacings are off from these motors bore centers?

Plus, we could always go with the old Pontiac Sprint SOHC head too!! It also had a matching Q-Jet intake AND factory split dual exhaust manifolds on the hy-po motor version!

pdq67

kirkwoodken
Dec 24th, 06, 2:27 AM
DF! Still waiting for you to offset bore that Pontiac Sprint.

I think with Harry Sternimann"s car running in the 9's, the Wayne head is a moot point. I should add, Harry's car is 302 CI, an overbored 292. (I think!)

pdq67
Dec 24th, 06, 3:12 AM
Thanks for bringing this back up!!

pdq67

kirkwoodken
Dec 24th, 06, 5:50 PM
About the siamese intake port: Vizard talked about removing the divider in a SB head to get more intake volume in a TC engine.

travis g
Dec 26th, 06, 12:16 PM
The Self's of Durant, Oklahoma know a bunch about the Chevy inline six cylinder motor as Glen Self has specialized in these motors for about thirty five or fourty years. I bet this man has seen just about every head made for this motor type. Seems like Lump is a nephew to Glen and now resides somewhere around Houston, Tx.

Back in 1990-1991 I lived 2 doors down from the Self Racing Engines shop. During the time I was there, all I ever seen him build was V-6 engines for a couple of rails and a drag boat. Them things sounded absolutely unreal when they test ran them!
I want to say that it was Kevin Self that ran the tuneup shop there in Durant....man that guy could put a demon tweak on anything.