Aluminum Shine [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Aluminum Shine

Autoengineer
Mar 11th, 05, 1:44 AM
I purchased repro wheel well moldings and I put two of them on already when I realized the finish on them was pretty dull when compared to the stainless drip molding. Can these aluminum moldings be polished as shiny as the stainless drip molding? Right now, the aluminum molding looks like it was painted white from some angles because its so dull.

EddieC67ss
Mar 11th, 05, 9:57 AM
Yes,with a buffing compound and cloth wheel.

70ElkySS
Mar 11th, 05, 10:01 AM
Yes, it can be polished, but you're gonna' have to strip the anodizing from it first. I ordered a product off the internet that works well - don't recall the name right now, but if you're interested, I'll check tonight. After you strip and polish, the surface of the aluminum will be softer and subject to corrosion. so you will either have to have it re-anodized or keep some sort of protective coating on it (just waxing a few times a year will usually do it). My only concern with doing wheel well moldings is they may rock-ding more easily without the anodizing - probably not a concern with a weekend car, but if it's a driver, that might be a problem. Good luck!

Jeff65SS
Mar 11th, 05, 10:25 AM
70Elky's right, you'll have to strip it first.
Here's the stuff I recently bought:

http://www.bluelightningproducts.com/
scrowl down the page to "anodize remover"

Works great, I'm in the process of stripping all of my trim right now!

Jeff
65 Chevelle

1badss396
Mar 11th, 05, 10:27 AM
I used this stuff and it works great!!
http://www.aacutabovepolish.com/
12 oz bottle $20.00 Item#143
For orders contact 770-354-1976
They also take paypal for payment
This stuff works great!!! graemlins/beers.gif graemlins/beers.gif

Autoengineer
Mar 12th, 05, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the help. It really stinks that I paid $130 for the set and the aluminum is so dull... and its not just oxidized, its like it was never polished to begin with.

von
Mar 12th, 05, 5:44 AM
You can use E-Z Off Oven Cleaner (the fume emitting version) to strip clear anodizing. Takes about 3 or 4 applications though.