U-BOX-IT boxed frame kit [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: U-BOX-IT boxed frame kit

66n67
May 1st, 04, 12:56 AM
Has anyone contracted to have frame boxing made.
I have a couple of frames and it seems the only
difference is the U channel is duplicated on the
inside of the frame between the front and rear tire area. I wonder if Ground Up Restorations or any members might be able to produce and sell such a product. It seems like you could just bend up the steel. Of course you would need to change the tranny mount and the fuel and brake lines.

tlowe
May 3rd, 04, 11:30 AM
your correct with your idea. the rust free conv frames are hard to find. it seems logical that someone would manufacture these braces so they could be installed on standard frames. i would order a few sets of them. tom

FO_FDYFO
May 5th, 04, 10:34 AM
how much are you willing to pay? to make them out of flat steel and weld them together would be quite a bit of work. it would be much better to have a big manufacturer stamp them out.

Peter F.
May 6th, 04, 1:21 AM
The piece would have to be stamped to be correct. It's too much of an odd shape to form from flat steel and still look like the origional.

Peter

66n67
Jul 7th, 04, 10:48 PM
I sent an invitation to Goodmark. I offered to cut
mine out, send then just the inner part, lat them fab the inner support, weld them on, and post them to this site giving them all the glory but no responce. Maybe I need to call them. Anybody have a contact at Goodmark?
Mark

WayneK
Jul 8th, 04, 10:13 PM
Neat idia.. Cars is selling Conv insert kit for 55/57 chevy.. I would hope in time some one would step up to the plate for 64/67 conv and el camino and 68/72 BOP, Chevelle and el Caminos cars..

jnorth
Jul 8th, 04, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by WayneK:
Neat idia.. Cars is selling Conv insert kit for 55/57 chevy.. I would hope in time some one would step up to the plate for 64/67 conv and el camino and 68/72 BOP, Chevelle and el Caminos cars.. Maybe the people to contact is CARS instead of Goodmark. They sell Chevelle stuff as well.

MikeJ
Jul 9th, 04, 6:13 PM
Oops

66n67
Jul 14th, 04, 1:04 AM
CARS ?

MileHiSS
Jul 14th, 04, 10:53 AM
www.carsinc.com (http://www.carsinc.com)

1-248-398-7100

66n67
Jul 16th, 04, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the information.
C.A.R.S. carsinc.com posting (http://www.carsinc.com/mr.bowtie/4890)

pat mc
Jul 17th, 04, 5:13 PM
am new to classic cars, just bought a 71 conv. frame rails are pretty rotted out, both sides, midway. if there is a way to deal with this problem, please reply

MedicTed
Jul 17th, 04, 7:21 PM
Pat, it depends on how bad your frame is rotted. It is possible to get them welded, but it may cost more to repair than to replace it with one from a donor car.

There is an automotive welder in Oreland that has done both of my cars. CSE, 123 Montgomery Ave, Oreland PA 19075, 215.885.5570. Owners name is Bill Sherwood. Please tell him I sent you. Maybe he'll cut me a break when I pick up my Chevelle.

Any questions, e-mail me.

Ted/King of Prussia, PA
'64 Chevelle 'vert 230/PG
'74 VW Thing :D

pat mc
Jul 17th, 04, 7:51 PM
thank you, sir. oreland is not too far from me. i also think a donor car is for me. any leads, send em along

jnorth
Jul 18th, 04, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by pat mc:
am new to classic cars, just bought a 71 conv. frame rails are pretty rotted out, both sides, midway. if there is a way to deal with this problem, please reply How about posting some pics? I kinda have a thing for 71 ragtops. smile.gif

ChevelleProSS
Sep 9th, 05, 12:10 AM
The El Camino and Chevelle Convertibles have boxed frames. Sedan frames are NOT boxed frames since they do not requre as much support. An El Camino frame CAN be used on a convertible Chevelle but only after a small modification. The modification is removing 3 inches of both sides of the frame behind the rear wheels/over the gas tank area where the box ends and open channels start. If you order a convertible frame froma yard or company, chances are that you recieved a modified El Camino frame and would not know the difference. If one uses a regular sedan frame on a convertible, sagging will occur due to not enough support.

Frame pricing: It is geographical. I found a 66 box elk'y frame that is in Chapparal NM/El paso Tx at "JJJ's yard (3 j's) for $300, shipping would be an additonal $400-500, but I found another one closer. Muscle Express in Jupitier Florida charges abount $850, but delivery is expensive, it's a pain to load/off load. There are places in Texas that run about 800 all over. New Mexico/Texas/ CA/ and Az are good spots to check yards since rust is surface mostly.

J early
Sep 9th, 05, 10:28 AM
So what you are saying is that the conv. frame has a "U" inside of the main "U" from wheel to wheel? My frame is so rotted that that art is essentially gone. I have a donor frame from a sedan and I was going to modify it. If Ione is not concerned about originallity, could that main "U" part of the frame just be boxed. Seems like a much easier way to stiffen the frame.

David Bates
Sep 12th, 05, 2:49 PM
Boxing a HT/sedan frame will give you just that, a boxed HT/sedan frame! The El Camino and Convertible frames main/outer rails (between the front and rear wheels) are not flat on top as the HT/Sedan. Rather, they are crimped downward somewhat and the inner piece is not a true "U" shape. So, if you are looking for strength and aren't worried about the physical appearance or correctness of it, box it in yourself!

Dean
Sep 13th, 05, 10:23 PM
Boxing a HT/sedan frame will give you just that, a boxed HT/sedan frame! The El Camino and Convertible frames main/outer rails (between the front and rear wheels) are not flat on top as the HT/Sedan. Rather, they are crimped downward somewhat and the inner piece is not a true "U" shape. So, if you are looking for strength and aren't worried about the physical appearance or correctness of it, box it in yourself!

I just noticed Herb's frame is not flat on top either however it is a 67 HT frame.
Now ya got me curious, I gotta check another 70 frame out in the shop.

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/medium/galvframe.jpg

FO_FDYFO
Sep 14th, 05, 9:22 AM
i can not speak for earlier then 68 frames. but all 68-72 frames are angled down as shown in the picture above. this contour is a close match to the floor sheet metal. if it were flat across it would interfer with the floor. the factory boxed frames for elky and converts (which are different lengths) contine with the same angle and then bend under and go flat on the bottom back out to the original frame. so the added boxed section is sort of like a triangle shape. other then these additional boxed sections welded on each side, the frames are identical. meaning, a convert frame is a coupe frame with boxed sections and a elky frame is a wagon frame with boxed sections welded on. 4 door frames are different, basicly a 4 door frame is a bastard weldment of a wagon frame with a coupe rear frame section from behing the rear suspension welded on.

gary salsman
Nov 23rd, 05, 12:14 PM
An El Camino frame CAN be used on a convertible Chevelle but only after a small modification. The modification is removing 3 inches of both sides of the frame behind the rear wheels/over the gas tank area

According to my 66 Chassis service manual, the difference between the Elky and Convert frames is 3.25 inches. Does this sound correct, and if you cut 3", is there enough slop in the bushing area to mount the body?

Gary

FO_FDYFO
Nov 28th, 05, 4:15 PM
that is not correct for 68-72 (cant speek for other years).
the elky frame is longer in the middle and in the rear. but the rear frame is not only longer it is straighter and would need to be swaped out with the car rear frame section. you can not just cut sections out to make it work.

Derek69SS
Nov 28th, 05, 4:43 PM
Gary is correct about the '64-67 frames. 3.25" removed from the rear of an el camino frame will make it the same as a convertible frame.

68-72 are 4" longer in the middle and 6.xxx" longer in the rear. (I think it's 6-3/16" but will have to double-check). Also the rearmost body mounts are 1" lower on an El Camino and Wagon.

ls7gto
Oct 10th, 07, 10:10 PM
we make a boxing kit for 64/67 and are working on a 68/72 kit and have a g -body kit almost finished. and the even do along the back by the tank. not for restorations. any questions give me a shout. doug

snake8700
Feb 11th, 08, 1:55 AM
let me know when the 68-72 kits are available

thanks,
kevin