Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevelle to 80's Camaro Drivetrain Swap

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BusDriver 
#1 ·
I am planning my 68 wagon project, and am considering swapping in a mid- to late 80's Camaro Drivetrain.

I wanted to swap in the engine, fuel injection and tranny and computer stuff, and try to keep the a/c compressor and modify it into an aftermarket kit.

Has anyone done something like this?

Also I am trying to figure out which camaro. I remember back in high school I drove a few 8 cyl camaro's both z28's and regular 8cyl. Both cars had lots of tourque and would roast the tires. I'm not sure which 305's they were.

This car is gonna be a driver but I would like it to have so "get up and go".

I have a line on a 88 Camaro w/ 60k miles totaled in the rear, I'm just not sure how to tell if its the right 8cyl combo.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
The best Thirdgen Camaro drivetrains would be found on the IROC-Z28's between 1987-1991 or 1991-1992 Z28's. They came with a TPI 350. The TPI injected cars made a ton of torque, even the 305's that can be found in Iroc's from 1985-1991. The 1987-1989 Iroc's w/350 had a Borg-Warner rear axle which is very durable. I owned an 1987 w/ TPI 350 and Borg-Warner rear, and it would plant you firmly in the seat.

Here is a link to a list of drivetrain configurations on Camaro's from 1982-1992, including power numbers, fuel induction type, and rearends available Drivetrains

Hope this helps you.
Shawn

#3 ·
One more thing. In 1988 GM only made a base Camaro and the IROC-Z28's. So if the '88 your looking at isn't an IROC then the original engine would be a TBI 305. If its torque you want then look for something with TPI.

Shawn

#4 ·
The following was cut from www.thirdgen.org
Engine codes: (8th digit of VIN)

H LG4
7 LU5
E L03
G L69
F LB9
8 L98
2 LQ9
1 LC1
S LB8
T LH0
7 LC2

Abbreviations:

2bbl - 2 Barrel
4bbl - 4 Barrel
H.O. - High Output
CFI - Cross Fire Injection
TPI - Tuned Port Injection
TBI - Throttle Body Injection
MPFI - Multi Port Fuel Injection
SFI - Sequential Fuel Injection

The LB9 was a 305 TPI, and the L98 was a 350 TPI. The 350 never came with a manual trans, and all TPI engines have the engine size, in litres, cast into the block behind the drivers side head. As stated, in 88 if it was a plain camaro, it'll probably have an L03 which has crappy swirl port heads and throttle body injection. The L98 is better suited to a Chevelle, but TPI is very restrictive on a 350 and will start to fall on it's face above 4800 RPM. Did you consider looking for an LT1?

#5 ·
I would consider an LT1, although I must admit I don't know alot about the newer stuff. I was thinking of the 80's Camaro's because there cheap and plenteful.

This type of swap is a whole new world for me, I was assuming that getting a wreck with a good drivetrain and electronics would make my swap easier than by peicing it together.

I'm looking for a reliable highway driver, that I could have some fun with around town as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.