Disc Brake Rims [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Disc Brake Rims

Ed Selleck
Oct 11th, 99, 7:25 AM
For my '69 Chevelle, I recently bought a used disc brake system and converted over from drums. When I went to put the wheels back on, they wouldn't fit (they are the original stock rims with hubcaps), the inside of the rims were rubbing against the calipers.

Are there meant to be different rims for disc brakes to accommodate the calipers, or was I sold the wrong parts for this application?

Bob Tiley
Oct 11th, 99, 7:41 AM
Yes, you need disc brake rims. Your rims are from 1966 or older. Starting in 1967 or 68, I am pretty sure all wheels made would fit the disc brakes. I have one old wheel that will not fit my disc brakes, but it is a rallye wheel from a 65 buick.

Ed Selleck
Oct 11th, 99, 7:52 AM
Bob,
Being that my car is a '69 and has the original rims, would Chevy have installed the older type rims, or do I have another problem? Thanks for your reply!

drptop70ss
Oct 11th, 99, 5:44 PM
I am sure chevy would install different rims, disk brakes were still an option and not standard on all cars..you will need another set of rims. I have a couple of sets of wheels that are from 68 chevelles and they wont clear disk brakes.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

Havoc
Oct 12th, 99, 3:24 AM
I suppose your original rims are 14's, so the question is, what are your disk brakes off of? I know that the later model 12" disks will not work with 14" rims. Also, is it possible you could have older, pre-1965 rims with the 1969 hubcaps on them? You never know with these old cars....

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: havoc@chevelles.com
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org (http://chevelle.dhs.org)
ICQ UIN: 3923441

Canuck64ss
Oct 12th, 99, 5:58 AM
New wheels can have problems too! I installed disk brakes from 67 Chevelle onto my 64SS and everything looked terrific BUT then I went to install my brand new Cragar SS rims (15x7 with 4 1/8 backspace) and they don't clear the caliper's. After some choice language etc... some spacers and new McGuard long shank nuts and voila, solved the problem.

I guess it's a lesson learned issue...

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada.
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350
WebSite www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm (http://www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm)

mrein
Oct 12th, 99, 7:18 AM
I was just having this same discussion with a co-worker who bought a '69 SS. He has a pair of 15x7s just laying around his garage I'm trying to talk him out of. I have a set of 14" ralleys that came from the factory on my '72 with manual drum brakes. I have a '71 Monte I'm parting out - the disk brakes are going on the '72. The co-worker claims that they only made one ralley rim and my set will fit over the discs. So Sunday I tried one of my 14" ralleys and I was right, it doesn't clear the caliper. At the same time I tried a rim off of my '71 convertable that came from the factory with power drum brakes. It didn't fit either.

You can identify these non-disc rims by looking at the inside of the rim. The non-disc rim has a little buldge about half way between where it mates with the wheel and the inside lip of the rim. The disc rims don't have this buldge. It is hard to describe but easy to see when you are looking at the inside of each rim next to each other.

Funny thing is that ralley rim I tried on the Monte Sunday, my spare for the '72 still had the scar on the inside from when I tried to borrowed it to a friend in about 1986 who had a flat on the front of his '74 malibu. We bolted it on, set the car down and he tried to drive away. The caliper made a nasty scratch on the inside of the rim. (Of course we could have put one of his rears on the front and put my spare on his drum in back but we were pretty new at the car game back then)

Ed Selleck
Oct 12th, 99, 8:12 AM
Thanks for all the replies. As you move from stage to stage with a restore (this being my first one) you encounter different problems and challenges. The good thing is, I have not encountered anything that has not already been solved by the collective experience of the good folks on this site. Thanks again for all your help.