PAW: Performance Automotive Warehouse [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: PAW: Performance Automotive Warehouse

Rich-L79
Jul 1st, 03, 1:50 PM
I remember their ads in car magazines over the years and I remember "paw"ing through their catalog. Since I've been having trouble finding a complete 427 for the wagon project it dawned on me that PAW would probably have what I need.

All I really need is a short block. I know they will include the good parts if you are willing to pay for them, but I wonder about their machining ability and quality.

Has anyone built their engine kits? Quality work? Any problems?

Alan
Jul 1st, 03, 2:37 PM
I bought a SB 350 unassembled long block kit back in 1998 from PAW. Fully machined block (0.040 overbored), pistons hung on the rods, balanced (not with my flexplate or harmonic balancer, so that couldn't have been a TRUE balancing job for the rotating assembly), and screw-in pipe plugs where necessary. I went with a cast crank, TRW forged pistons (flat-top 4-valve relief), Clevite bearings, house brand cam (since changed to Comp 268XE), and Edelbrock Performer RPM 70cc chamber heads. Push rods and rocker arms were Pioneer brand I think and piston rings were moly. Cost was $2600 out the door with tax (I picked the parts up personally to save shipping - I lived in So Cal at the time).

All clearances were within spec and the assembly went great. In the five years and 21,000 miles since, it's run beautifully. I've upgraded the cam, valvetrain, rocker arms, and installed a steel shim head gasket since, but the bottom-end remains the same. I needed a 350 block and this was a convienent way to get one. I'd buy from them again. One thing though: they usually charge extra for any block overbored less than 0.060 (like $100). The guy taking my order dialed me in with the 0.040 block for no extra charge.

Probably more info than you wanted Rich, but there it is anyway smile.gif . Any thing else you want to know about it, just ask!

BlueSS454
Jul 1st, 03, 2:55 PM
I ordered a crank kit for my 454 from these people. It was supposed to be a new forged crank, forged rods and forged pistons with moly rings. It ended up being a stock crank that was cut 10/10, reconditioned GM rods, and the only thing that was correct was the pistons. Long story short, I called, got in a huge argument with them over the crank being cut. THey said they have to cut it to balance it graemlins/sad.gif graemlins/angry.gif :confused: . I sent it back and got my $1200 back.

Rich-L79
Jul 1st, 03, 3:10 PM
At the very least I wish they'd put their catalog on line. Get with the times, dudes!

Hopefully we can get some more experiences posted.

Rich-L79
Jul 1st, 03, 3:12 PM
Does anyone have a copy of their current catalog? Do they even OFFER any BBC 427 engines anymore?

awsome502
Jul 1st, 03, 4:34 PM
Rich I just looked at my June 2003 Super Chevy and thier add list a 427 short block for $2295.00

1966_L78
Jul 1st, 03, 4:44 PM
They advertise a 427 (even in their magazine adds), based on a 454 block and a 396/427 crank... I would think the shipping would be enought to make it worth it to find those parts locally...

I too have been thinking of going this way, as I do not have a block, and I don't know any machinists around here anyway...

Keep meaning to order one of their catalogs, but haven't done it yet...

427WOT
Jul 1st, 03, 9:31 PM
I have a PAW 427. I got it back in 1992. I took all of the parts to a friend at NAPA machine in Richmond, VA and he put it all together. I have a little over 10,000 miles on it and have been very pleased. Other than a cam change a couple of years ago, I haven't done anything. Mine is a 1974 454 with a forged 396 crank.

DaleM
Jul 1st, 03, 10:54 PM
When I rebuilt my 67 the first time around in 1987 I used a balanced PAW crank/rods/pistons/rings kit and had no problems at all. I did wait until the stuff arrived before having the block bored so they could match the pistons to the cylinders just in case.

Rabbit
Jul 2nd, 03, 3:41 PM
Originally posted by BlueSS454:
I sent it back and got my $1200 back. The important question is "Who paid for the return shipping?".

Speaking of shipping, PAW is about three miles from my house. I've driven there and bought things, but only name brands, not their house brand engine kits. I've been very pleased with the service, and the people there seem knowlegable.

Reid

drkass
Jul 3rd, 03, 12:16 AM
Rich

I have a copy of their current catalog. I can bring it to the Gretna show for you. I won't be able to make the meeting in Kearney, but I have registered for the Gretna show.

Rich-L79
Jul 3rd, 03, 12:28 AM
Rats! I just ordered my own copy this afternoon.

Oh well, thanks anyway!

BlueSS454
Jul 3rd, 03, 2:05 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BlueSS454:
I sent it back and got my $1200 back. The important question is "Who paid for the return shipping?".

Speaking of shipping, PAW is about three miles from my house. I've driven there and bought things, but only name brands, not their house brand engine kits. I've been very pleased with the service, and the people there seem knowlegable.

Reid </font>[/QUOTE]I ended up paying for the return shipping. That seriously pissed me off, it cost me $77 to send it back. I called them up again and got into another huge argument over that issue itself. I ended up saying screw it, not worth the hassle.