1979 Belair [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 1979 Belair

jtjohnston
Mar 16th, 03, 7:11 PM
Sorry to be off-topic. I found a 79 Belair to scrap for a 350 motor. I feel bad about the old car, which seems in real good shape. I was wondering smile.gif anyone know of a place to buy door panels and a dash pad?

jtjohnston
Mar 17th, 03, 1:29 AM
I was serious smile.gif

mr409
Mar 17th, 03, 9:09 AM
1972 was the last year for the Belair.

Shawn
Mar 17th, 03, 10:14 AM
No the Bel Air nameplate died out in '78 or '79. http://www.angelfire.com/retro/impalafarmer/78Belaircpead.jpg

jtjohnston
Mar 17th, 03, 4:11 PM
No the Bel Air nameplate died out in '78 or '79. http://www.angelfire.com/retro/impalafarmer/78Belaircpead.jpg Is that from a showroom book? Do you have the 79? Stupid, but I thought that back window glass gave the Impala something that other cars did not have. I might not scrap this one.

However, ..., in fact ..., you are both wrong. tongue.gif

Biscayne died out in 1976 (1975 for sure, but am pretty sure on 1976). Belair died in 1979. I believe 78 was its last year? If not, 79. (I remember my first car, a worn out taxi, was a 1980 Impala; I don't think I swapped Belair off of it for Impala.)

The Impala-Caprice, remodelled in 1980, underwent one design change in 1981: a different grill. It died out in 1989. Then the behometh caprice boat came into being. It died in the mid-nineties. Dad stopped buying them after 1989, switching over to Luminas which were more affordable - and a damn site faster as taxi and police packages.

Dad's taxi company ordered oodles of them as new taxi packages. Taxi packs came in the cheapest model with vinyl seats - different from your picture, more plain. Passengers would complain in the winter if the car was not warmed up first. A plaid split bench was "often" installed in police packages; their back seat were swapable in a taxi package. The northern cars were mostly dark blue inside, southern cars were a tan. I have seen green too. Last going off, they all came from a plant in Texas.

P.S. Impala farmer: it's not 1973 - 76. It's 71-76 tongue.gif - doors, trunk lid etc. were swappable. It was 1974-1976 that had a different tail-light arrangement than the 1971-1973. 1974 was my least favourite. I prefered the 75, but 73 and 72 had their attributs.
(You think Chevelle gearheads are packrats, go see: http://www.angelfire.com/retro/impalafarmer/frontpage.html )

Not bad for a college prof? Dad did his best to keep me away from the business, but I had to make $ to pay for school. I always followed the business, until Dad sold it in 1994 and retired. Did not want any of us to continue the business and divested completely.

Shawn
Mar 17th, 03, 8:31 PM
The guy that owns the Impala farm site was very helpful with my car about what parts interchange with 9c1 models and where to get parts and other info on the car itself. He even had some brochure shots that weren't on his site so you might want to contact him to see if he has the '79 brochure. It strange that back in '57 the Bel Air was so snazzy and then 20 years later it's so plain on another body style.
Also the boxy Caprices ended in 1990 not 1989 and the boat bodied ones ended in 1996. The Impala coupes ended in 1982, and the Caprice coupes ended in 1987, only 3,110 built so mine is sort of rare. They were the last full-size, rwd coupes Chevrolet built. The Caprices went through a few design changes, the remodel in 1980 but went through grille and rear end treatment changes every few years. The Impala nameplate died in 1984 and had a couple grille changes since the new design. Not all were built in Texas though, mine came from some other midwest state, I don't remember it though. Good luck with the Bel Air, that's a pretty rare find.

impalafarmer
Mar 17th, 03, 10:10 PM
I hope this works. I don't want to join your forum because I don't join forums. This incredible misinformation is exactly why. The Canadian-produced Chevrolet BelAir, as far as I know, was offered from 1977 to 1982. I've heard reports of fleet units being offered as late as 82 anyway. Pontiac produced two B-body models in the 77 to early 80s period that were Canadian-only as well; the Parisienne (not made here until 83) and the Laurentian. If you "scrap" that 79 BelAir merely for it's engine, especially if it's an Aerocoupe, you are doing a grave injustice to an extremely rare car! This is a Chevelle forum? Then someone here should know that Canada produced American car model clones. Their clone for the Chevelle was the Pontiac Beaumont. I don't really blame any of you for being misinformed, as the 77-90 GM B-body line is not terribly popular. They are my LIFE, however. Therefore if you would like to get the real info simply visit http://www.angelfire.com/retro/impalafarmer.cspecs.html and I assure you these facts are as close to correct about these cars as possible. graemlins/sad.gif It really IS sad, there aren't any nice forums like this for MY kind of cars. I also do have a domain: www.impalafarm.com. (http://www.impalafarm.com.)

impalafarmer
Mar 17th, 03, 10:14 PM
let's try that again: http://www.angelfire.com/retro/impalafarmer/cspecs.html

jtjohnston
Mar 18th, 03, 12:42 AM
Canadian only or not. I don't know about rare?! smile.gif Let's be serious. #1 It's not a chevelle. #2 The Belair was the cheapest of the line. A bit like hte Chevelle Chevelle. It was not an Impala. But I do like the aerocoupe look.
The guy is selling for $100 and when I get back in town next weekend I'm buying it, at least for the motor. The rest looked solid. If it is I might keep it for the summer, before I extract the motor. I'm wondering if there are interior parts I can get. If not, I won't bother.

mr409
Mar 18th, 03, 9:11 AM
Wow, you learn something new everyday! redface.gif Im so embarrased. LOL I thought they were all Impala's by those years. I don't think I ever saw one in person anyway.

JimN
Mar 18th, 03, 9:53 PM
The Bel Airs could be popular strippers like the Chevelle 300 Deluxe models. The earlier model Bel Air post coupes made great sleepers. Think about it.

Frank the crank
Apr 9th, 03, 8:07 PM
:cool: Don't scrap the belair! I once went to look at a "78 belair areocoupe for sale, but passed on it because I thought the color was dull. So for a fact they do exist although they were far outnumbered by caprice and impalas. Heck if the body's half decent I'll by it.

jtjohnston
Apr 11th, 03, 2:01 AM
Is this thread still alive?! He changed his mind. I still have to call him back. He was looking for another $200 car before he sells. Decent 350 in it, that's why I want it. From what I saw it was solid enough. I'll wait and see.

impalafarmer
Aug 9th, 03, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by jtjohnston:
Canadian only or not. I don't know about rare?! smile.gif Let's be serious. #1 It's not a chevelle. #2 The Belair was the cheapest of the line. A bit like hte Chevelle Chevelle. It was not an Impala. But I do like the aerocoupe look.
The guy is selling for $100 and when I get back in town next weekend I'm buying it, at least for the motor. The rest looked solid. If it is I might keep it for the summer, before I extract the motor. I'm wondering if there are interior parts I can get. If not, I won't bother. :( OK, number1; ANY 77-79 Caprice Classic, Impala OR BelAir parts will fit that car, I would just try to personally keep it's appearance as "BelAir" as possible. Number2; I was recently contacted by a gentleman in Washington state that acquired a 1981 BelAir sport coupe. He wrote to GM Canada in Oshawa, Ontario for the specs on this car, and received all the info he needed including the production total, 258 units! How much rarer would you like? There probably weren't many more produced in your year.

impalafarmer
Aug 9th, 03, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Frank the crank:
:cool: Don't scrap the belair! I once went to look at a "78 belair areocoupe for sale, but passed on it because I thought the color was dull. So for a fact they do exist although they were far outnumbered by caprice and impalas. Heck if the body's half decent I'll by it. graemlins/hurray.gif I sure hope you did! Sounds like you'd save it.

impalafarmer
Aug 9th, 03, 2:30 PM
Originally posted by jtjohnston:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> No the Bel Air nameplate died out in '78 or '79. http://www.angelfire.com/retro/impalafarmer/78Belaircpead.jpg Is that from a showroom book? Do you have the 79? Stupid, but I thought that back window glass gave the Impala something that other cars did not have. I might not scrap this one.

However, ..., in fact ..., you are both wrong. tongue.gif

Biscayne died out in 1976 (1975 for sure, but am pretty sure on 1976). Belair died in 1979. I believe 78 was its last year? If not, 79. (I remember my first car, a worn out taxi, was a 1980 Impala; I don't think I swapped Belair off of it for Impala.)

The Impala-Caprice, remodelled in 1980, underwent one design change in 1981: a different grill. It died out in 1989. Then the behometh caprice boat came into being. It died in the mid-nineties. Dad stopped buying them after 1989, switching over to Luminas which were more affordable - and a damn site faster as taxi and police packages.

Dad's taxi company ordered oodles of them as new taxi packages. Taxi packs came in the cheapest model with vinyl seats - different from your picture, more plain. Passengers would complain in the winter if the car was not warmed up first. A plaid split bench was "often" installed in police packages; their back seat were swapable in a taxi package. The northern cars were mostly dark blue inside, southern cars were a tan. I have seen green too. Last going off, they all came from a plant in Texas.

P.S. Impala farmer: it's not 1973 - 76. It's 71-76 tongue.gif - doors, trunk lid etc. were swappable. It was 1974-1976 that had a different tail-light arrangement than the 1971-1973. 1974 was my least favourite. I prefered the 75, but 73 and 72 had their attributs.
(You think Chevelle gearheads are packrats, go see: http://www.angelfire.com/retro/impalafarmer/frontpage.html )

Not bad for a college prof? Dad did his best to keep me away from the business, but I had to make $ to pay for school. I always followed the business, until Dad sold it in 1994 and retired. Did not want any of us to continue the business and divested completely. </font>[/QUOTE]:rolleyes: Well, JT, PLEASE stick to professoring! The BelAir was Candian ONLY produced from 1977 to 1982. ALL Caprice, BelAir and Impala Coupes built from 1977 to 1979 were Aerocoupes (the three-sided rear glass). I am FULLY aware of parts interchangeability, and what years they changed on these cars. I am simply stating my personal interest and genre, I feel that 72 was the last attractive year until they revamped them in 77. 1990 was the last year for the square-body design, NOT 1989. Try looking past the front page of The Impala Farm, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the vast amount of info & pictures. Wherever you're getting your info prior is mostly wrong. Many 9C1 and taxi packages were built in Texas, but not all of them. And if you think luminas are faster than V-8 9C1s, you haven't driven a properly equipped & tuned 9C1 BelAir, Caprice or Impala!

Cam
Aug 14th, 03, 1:07 AM
The door panels for the Canadian Bel Air from 1977 - 1981 (the final year) were simply Impala door panels without the woodgrain applique, while the seats at that time were based on the Impala but with a simpler, cheaper upholstery. The Canadian Pontiac Laurentian shared the door panels and seats during that time. I havn't seen one in quite a few years. The Impala continued into 1985 ('94 - '96 Impala SS excepted). Biscaynes were last seen in the U.S. in 1972 but continued in Canada into 1975 (the last year for Bel Airs in the U.S.)
Also, the Biscayne & Bel Air 2-door post models were produced through 1969. Starting in 1970, the Bel Air 2-door was offered only in Canada and was actually a hardtop, sharing the body with the Impala Sport Coupe. Yes, in Canada we once again revived the Bel Air Sport Coupe for the 1st time since the '62 bubble-back (I love them). The Sport Coupe body style was offered through 1975, then was based in 1976-only on the Impala Custom Coupe (with the concave back window). From 1977-9 they used the aerocoupe style rear window, then switched in 1980 to a simpler rear window while lowering the hood and raising the trunkline. Low drag disks and lockup torque converters made there appearance in 1980 as well.
I can vividly remember seeing back in 1973 a 1970 Bel Air Sport Coupe in Hamilton, Ontario with some interesting equipment. It was Misty Turquoise with black interior, H70-15 factory redlines on 15x6 factory Rally Wheels, F41 suspension, 390-horse LS5 454. It was a flawless survivor at the time, although it was only 3 years old then.
P.S., what colour interior parts are you looking for, blue or buckskin (the only 2 colours).

jtjohnston
Aug 15th, 03, 1:41 PM
Hmmm.
What ever the problem with the server, I'm still not receiving notices on this thread.
I did not get the car after. He decided to keep it to run to the ground.
I call, he never returns my call.