Upgrading 8.5 10 bolt [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Upgrading 8.5 10 bolt

SamW_65SS
Jun 26th, 03, 11:46 AM
I have a 8.5 inch 10 bolt in my '72 Nova that I am looking to upgrade. It currently has an open differential with 2.xx gears. I want to build it to handle approx. 550 ft-lbs from a big block. It will be mostly street use with a couple times a year on the strip. Would like to not worry about rear end if I decide to throw on some slicks.

So looking at Eaton differentials they have 28-spline and 30-spline carriers - would the 30-spline work with my rear? I know I will have to replace to axles if the 30-spline will fit. What about C-clip eliminators? Since I'll be replacing most components in the rear end I would like to get rid of the C-clips also.(if needed)

I am planning on putting in 3.42 gears. So what I'm looking for is to build a strong 10 bolt that will last years under moderate to occasionally severe abuse.

Sam W

Scott_68_SS
Jun 26th, 03, 12:16 PM
The Eaton or a powertrax locker w/30 spline should work. Use 1/2" wheel studs while your at it.
The C clip eliminator will leak sooner or later from what I've heard. If your car is fast enough for the rules to require it. Then I guess you'll have to.
Everyone bags on C clip axles. There are literally millions of them on the road right now. How many cars do you see on the side of the road missing an axle?
The key to this though is a straight housing and minimal end clearance. As long as the axles slip in and out by hand. No slide hammers for pulling. The housing is straight. Welding all sorts of new brackets to a housing distorts them so it makes the axle load against the clip. Which wears it out. Not to mention the bearings and splines.

TronDD
Jun 26th, 03, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by Scott L:

Everyone bags on C clip axles. There are literally millions of them on the road right now. How many cars do you see on the side of the road missing an axle?Yeah, but how many are pushing 550 ft-lbs of torque and have slicks on?

Tim.

airrj
Jun 26th, 03, 3:03 PM
Originally posted by TronDD:
Yeah, but how many are pushing 550 ft-lbs of torque and have slicks on?823. :D

Do I win?

big gear head
Jun 26th, 03, 6:11 PM
Sam,
You should go with the 30 spline Eaton and 30 spline Moser axles. These should be fine with c clips, but if you think you must eliminate then then I would recommend using the Ford axle bearings with Moser housing ends. This requires cutting off the original housing ends and welding on the new ones. You can use the original brakes with these ends. You must use a housing fixture to do this so it will be straight. The spring mounts need to be reinforced while you are at it.