downloading patchs/fixes for XP [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: downloading patchs/fixes for XP

no1dc
Jan 23rd, 02, 5:51 AM
Just thought I'd warn you. I downloaded Microsoft's security patches/fixes last night, on reboot it froze my computer. Thank god for the system restore feature in XP. My advice downnload one at a time and create a new restore point with each download. Took me awhile to figure out how to get the system to come up in safemode to do a restore. You press F8 while at the XP screen, similar to win98. Pete

------------------
Member# 1097
67 std camaro conv 327/210, 1978 annv vette, 1985 Z28 Camaro, 1970 Chevelle, challenged deer now in rehab, 00 grand prix,
www.chevelles.com/showroom/no1dc1.jpg

BobMcC
Jan 23rd, 02, 11:19 AM
I'm curious -
It sounds like the patches were installed as they were being downloaded. Generally, I don't like that practice. I'd rather download and save to disk and then shut everything off, including my antivirus program, before I load new things in.

------------------
Bob McCormick
69 Malibu project

no1dc
Jan 23rd, 02, 11:52 AM
Bob, Your right I ran them from the Microsoft site. I don't recall the option of saving to disk. Sounds like the way to go. Good suggestion about shutting down anti virus programs. I usually do that but for some reason didn't last night. Thanks Pete

------------------
Member# 1097
67 std camaro conv 327/210, 1978 annv vette, 1985 Z28 Camaro, 1970 Chevelle, challenged deer now in rehab, 00 grand prix,
www.chevelles.com/showroom/no1dc1.jpg

Big James 4XL
Jan 23rd, 02, 12:51 PM
I can't even get the update down load at all!!! All I get is "download incomplete"!

I think I will like XP once I get used to it but this update problem has frustrated me to the point that I have parked my new equipment($700 worth)till I can get the update. I had no problem registering it though.

I like the system restore feature too, especially since several of the W98 programs and drivers I tried to use caused problems.

Still can't get the correct driver for my modem or scanner installed. The modem will end up in this W98 Emachine and I'll get an appropriate one for the XP machine.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!
I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

Ole Paint (http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/olepaint1)