67 Chevelle Malibu=to clone or not ? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 67 Chevelle Malibu=to clone or not ?

Ken's Email
Jul 30th, 01, 7:30 AM
This is a polical hot ball question. But, I seek your opinions for my friend.

This past weekend I attended a cruise in for
a Maryland Chevy Club. One member had a nice
67 Chevelle. It was cloned from a Vin 136 (Malibu) to a Super Sport, i.e., hood and
badging changed to reflect an SS. The owner was up front about it and indicated it was
a clone.

This leads to a question for my friend who has a 67 Chevelle Malibu. He is putting in a
larger engine (427 ?) and a new paint job. He
is deciding to leave it as a Malibu or go with the SS hood and SS badging. I know this
is a political hotbed question but any opinions on this cloning ? He is not looking
to sell this as an SS. Just use it as a driver. But he does like the SS look.

Your opinions, re: pro or con. Thanks,

Ken

P.S. Note: he is not worried about "originality" of a Malibu since the
67 Malibu combo of 283 engine and powerglide
transmission does not fetch you big bucks in
the Chevelle world.

66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE
Jul 30th, 01, 8:06 AM
Hot bed is right, but it shouldn't be. It's simple and most of us have been preaching it for years on this forum. "DO IT THE WAY YOU WANT!"

Why would you even care what someone else on this board or anywhere else thinks you should do with your car ( friend). I mean I think it's nice that people value the opinions of other people, but ultimately it's yourr friend's own taste. You alraedy said he is not going to try and pawn it off as a TRUE SS, and wouldn't be selling it in the future as such, so no problem.

Some of the nicest SHOW CARS in the country I have seen are SS branded Malibus. The owners don't proclaim them to be REAL Super Sports, they just like the emblems and various SS looks the car has. One of theee Nicest 67 Chevelles in the country is a Malibu and member here, that has the markings of a SS, the car has won every award that is to be won and most people could care less that it is a CLONE., some don't know it's a Malibu. This not because the owner hides the fact or altered the cowl tag, most just don't care to inquire. There are other people, and some are here on this site, that somehow take offense to the fact that the car is a CLONE, or that the owner doesn't specifically make everyone aware of the clone status?? As long as the vin and Cowl tag are not altered, then do what ever pleases you/your friend. If your friend happens to beat out a REAL SS with his Clone at a show, too bad.....IMO.

Lastly, I especially think that building a Clone is no different than putting wild graphics, Purple paint and a blower in a Chevelle. They didn't come that way from the factory either, but nobody gets irritated when it's done.

Stepping down...next

------------------
MY 66 SS.COM (http://hometown.aol.com/mysterychevelle/66CHEVELLESS.html)
ACES # 1493
TEAM # 751
MCC # 501

SS_Dave
Jul 30th, 01, 8:12 AM
The only issue is ripping someone off with a clone. That is fraud and un-ethical.
Otherwise, the factory made a lot of SS's from Malibu bodies, so I did too.

Dave

Tonyr
Jul 30th, 01, 8:19 AM
I agree, do it the way "you like it!"

A lot of people gave me hell when I decided to put a blower on my 69. I listened, then walked away. IT'S MY CAR and I PAID FOR IT!

The most important thing though, HAVE FUN!! That's what it's all about.

------------------
Image: My blown 468 Dyno sheet, 700 hp (http://www.edigitalphotos.com/chevelle/dyno.jpg)

Picture: My blown 468 Chevelle will look like this, in hugger orange (http://www.edigitalphotos.com/chevelle/blown.jpg)

Picture: 69 SS Chevelle (http://www.edigitalphotos.com/chevelle/003.jpg)

Picture: 396 engine (http://www.edigitalphotos.com/chevelle/006.jpg)

Picture: My car on the cover of Super Chevy Magazine (http://www.edigitalphotos.com/chevelle/010.jpg)

Video: 1 meg video of my Chevelle warming up (http://www.edigitalphotos.com/chevelle/002.mpg)

1966_L78
Jul 30th, 01, 9:15 AM
I agree with the other so far, it's your car, (or your friends), do what you want...
As long as you are not selling aa an SS, I see no harm...

Although I myself see no problem with altering the cowl tag, since this has no legal bearing on the car. The paperwork and VIN tag will still identify this as a Malibu... Once again though, it isn't right to decieve a potential buyer here either...

Afterall, what is the REAL difference between an SS and a Malibu except a bunch of parts bolted on at the factory???

As for your friend tell him not to worry, the SS hood, etc. wasn't available, but he likes the look. What about all those 64-66 Chevelles with rally wheels, they didn't come out until 67, so they shouldn't be on an early Chevelle...

------------------
"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."

Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

Gene Chas
Jul 30th, 01, 9:46 AM
Tony, yeah but they were all the right parts in 1967, 12 bolt, big block, frame braces, etc.

If he doesnt he'll constantly get the " Yeah too bad its only a Malibu". Which is a rather ignorant statement.

What does he like, the hood? Thing is functionally useless. Oh the bulges look OK, but I'd give anything to be able to get fresh air to my carbs.

The emblems?

Hey to each his own, I personally wouldnt because it doesnt matter TO ME. I'd rather use a cowl hood that actually WORKS! Plus, anybody who knows anything will look at the cowl tag and say, " Yeah another clone".

But its totally up to him. You cant please all the people all the time. He's just got to please himself.

Mytmouse
Jul 30th, 01, 9:49 AM
Seems like we have gone down this path once or twice before http://www.chevelles.com/forum/wink.gif. The advice given by "Reverend" Mike http://www.chevelles.com/forum/biggrin.gif and others above is, IMO, right on the money. Do what you want but don't misrepresent the car, especially at time of sale.

I personally like the SS badging and especially the hoods on 66 and 67 Chevelles. It just sets them apart...kind of like the 69 Camaro Z/28 cowl hood you see all over 67 & 68 Camaros (including mine). If originality is not your thing then do what pleases your eye.

Now I will step down...and I sure hope I didn't leave the pulpit in as big a mess as Mike did http://www.chevelles.com/forum/biggrin.gif http://www.chevelles.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl (http://www.pascale.org/Muscle_Cars/Mytmouse/mytmouse.html)
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black (http://www.pascale.org/Muscle_Cars/Myts_Mouse/myts_mouse.html)
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black (http://www.pascale.org/Muscle_Cars/Myt_70/myt_70.html)

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

[This message has been edited by Mytmouse (edited 07-30-2001).]

Ken's Email
Jul 30th, 01, 10:26 AM
Thanks guy. You make good sense.

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE:
Hot bed is right, but it shouldn't be. It's simple and most of us have been preaching it for years on this forum. "DO IT THE WAY YOU WANT!"

Why would you even care what someone else on this board or anywhere else thinks you should do with your car ( friend). I mean I think it's nice that people value the opinions of other people, but ultimately it's yourr friend's own taste. You alraedy said he is not going to try and pawn it off as a TRUE SS, and wouldn't be selling it in the future as such, so no problem.

Some of the nicest SHOW CARS in the country I have seen are SS branded Malibus. The owners don't proclaim them to be REAL Super Sports, they just like the emblems and various SS looks the car has. One of theee Nicest 67 Chevelles in the country is a Malibu and member here, that has the markings of a SS, the car has won every award that is to be won and most people could care less that it is a CLONE., some don't know it's a Malibu. This not because the owner hides the fact or altered the cowl tag, most just don't care to inquire. There are other people, and some are here on this site, that somehow take offense to the fact that the car is a CLONE, or that the owner doesn't specifically make everyone aware of the clone status?? As long as the vin and Cowl tag are not altered, then do what ever pleases you/your friend. If your friend happens to beat out a REAL SS with his Clone at a show, too bad.....IMO.

Lastly, I especially think that building a Clone is no different than putting wild graphics, Purple paint and a blower in a Chevelle. They didn't come that way from the factory either, but nobody gets irritated when it's done.

Stepping down...next

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chevelles'R'us
Jul 30th, 01, 10:34 AM
Tonyr,

OMG! that engine looks fantastic. Can you tell me what you got under that '69 Chevelle hood? And where did you pick up the parts?

Rich-L79
Jul 30th, 01, 11:26 AM
The old "it's your car, do what you want" applies here. But if you want opinions I can offer a couple:

1. There is NOTHING wrong with a nicely done Malibu. The whole sleeper effect works well and sometimes simple is better!

2. If he does go the clone route, go all the way and get ALL the details right. Don't just plug SS badges on the quarters and call it an SS clone. I really do hate seeing Malibus with one or two SS emblems. A Super Sport package is unique and special and contains a heck of a lot more than a couple extra letters on a fender. This includes interior badging and gauges if this applies the to year in question. And please also remove the Malibu-only trim to complete the effect!

Ken's Email
Jul 30th, 01, 1:05 PM
Hmnnn. I will run that by my friend. How about just the SS hood and the Malibu script
on the rear quarter panels ? Or paint over
the wood grain interior dash color with crinkle black ? He He.

Thanks again.

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich-L79:
The old "it's your car, do what you want" applies here. But if you want opinions I can offer a couple:

1. There is NOTHING wrong with a nicely done Malibu. The whole sleeper effect works well and sometimes simple is better!

2. If he does go the clone route, go all the way and get ALL the details right. Don't just plug SS badges on the quarters and call it an SS clone. I really do hate seeing Malibus with one or two SS emblems. A Super Sport package is unique and special and contains a heck of a lot more than a couple extra letters on a fender. This includes interior badging and gauges if this applies the to year in question. And please also remove the Malibu-only trim to complete the effect!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

69bigblock
Jul 30th, 01, 1:24 PM
If you are doing it to please others or afraid of hearing "it's not an ss" , Don't! If you are ashamed of having a "malibu" (which is still a chevelle by the way) then buy an "ss". You are the only one the car has to make happy. Yes my car is not an "ss" and I don't care if anyone thinks any less of it because of that. It still black, beautiful, very fast and gets it's fair share of attention even without the badges. So decide what you like and makes you happy and then "make it so". Stepping down.....

------------------
Frank
69-496/th400/9"
Gold Member # 216
Best 60' 1.63
Best 1/8 7.29
best 1/4 11.48
best mph 116.67
The_Car (http://69blackbigblock.i8.com/images/05200004.jpg)
The_Engine (http://69blackbigblock.i8.com/cgi-bin/i/05190020.JPG)

67cheve11e
Jul 30th, 01, 6:10 PM
I am cloning my 67 Malibu!!!
I love the SS look. #'s mean absolutely nothing to me. I want to drive it everyday too!
Even if I do ever sell it. People want the SS look over the plain Malibu. I'll tell em that it is a Malibu with all the SS Trim. It WILL be an SS except for the Vin and cowl tag.
For some reason a Malibu wasn't a muscle car....but an SS IS!!

Build it like you like em!
Just my $.02 worth!!

Barista
Jul 30th, 01, 8:05 PM
Gotta agree with Rich L-79. Do what you want!Clones are fine in any form, but when it's done completely and correctly I have a lot more appreciation for the car, and more respect for the owner. Just my opinion. A hood and a couple of badges don't impress me as much as a fine looking, original, Malibu.

I had some correspondence with a seller on Ebay a few months back. He told me his 69 was actually an SS because he had MADE it one, "The SS stuff was just trim anyway". In my reply I listed 7 or 8 things that were missing from his "SS" car. He responded by calling me, "another one of those Chevelle nuts". I think he was trying to insult me.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 402ci TH400 (Yes, it's the dreaded Cranberry Red, and I like it!)

We've not been called upon to hold the fort, but rather, to storm the heights!

jmw
Jul 30th, 01, 8:17 PM
My 67 will include a 454HO Gen 6 engine, TH400 with B+M shift kit, Dennys driveshaft, refurbished 66 12 bolt posi, full refresh of the front and rear suspension, SS braces added to the rear, rear sway bar, boxed lower CAs, bigger front sway bar, new 3/8ths fuel line, Stainless Steel Brakes disc kit up front, 4 core radiator, trans cooler, dual snorkle air cleaner, Heddman shorty hedders, flowmaster pipes with Super Hemi Turbo mufflers, refurbished SS dash trim, aftermarket gauges, black interior with buckets and console, Kenwood 4 speaker stereo, all SS exterior badges properly installed, SS hood, wheel well trim, rocker panel trim, and steering wheel button. Will I ever try to claim it is a "Real" SS, no, will I care? It will be a better car to drive than an original as far as I'm concerned and it will be driven a lot!

John Walker

[This message has been edited by jmw (edited 07-31-2001).]

Maynard
Jul 31st, 01, 8:04 AM
Just an other opinion, when I see a clone it just seems like a cover up, even if the guy admits it's a clone.
It is your car and build it the way you want but for some subconscious reason we try to please someone else.
Well back to the car remember it's a '67 Chevelle one of the best looking body styles in the 60's.
This is what I did to my 67 Malibu: 396 motor w/400 trans 355 posi, disc brakes, rebuilt complete suspension,new sheet metal and paint,red w/black vinyl top, big block hood and no emblems or wheel opening trim, SS grill without the SS emblem painted black and american racing wheels (AR-136),black bucket interior custom console and custom plastic carbon fiber dash insert. It gave the car a very clean look, I am very happy the way she turned out. Build it the way you want, and don't try to please anyone but yourself.

rocks66ss
Jul 31st, 01, 3:31 PM
Always do what you want, but it seems that somewhere down the line, a clone get's misrepresented,and some unknowing person finds out they been had!!always after the fact, than it's too late.

Rocky Hill

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

My66SS (http://www.geocities.com/rocks66ss)

harleydad
Jul 31st, 01, 7:24 PM
While I agree with doing it how you want, I personally don't like clones. That said I do Have an SS hood on my Malibu but that is it as far as SS gear goes. It came on the car and the only reason I kept it was I was able to make the power domes draw in fresh air.
How about that Gene.

------------------
1966 malibu/396/400

Jerry Acheson
Jul 31st, 01, 9:31 PM
Ok; let's stir the pot.

First; I agree that a person should build a car the way he/she wants it. Don't worry about what others think.

Second; Never lie about what it really is. If someone questions what it is, be honest. Never sell something for what it isn't.

Third; Many of these cars are modified in some way anyway (bigger engine, performance parts, chrome, paint color, etc.) so putting a little trim on it doesn't make much difference.

Fourth; Here's where the pot gets stirred. I really believe an unmollested car should stay that way. If the car's original and doesn't need to be changed, don't do it. I really think we need to do what we can to preserve the few 'pure' cars we have left. If you have one, save it so the rest of us can see what they really were. (That includes leaving the 6 cyl powerglide in it if that's the way that 70 Malibu convertible came.

I personally drive a legit 64 Malibu SS, made up as a L30 clone. However, I'm the first to fess up to the classifiers at shows where it matters (like Chevellabration and NCOA (I mean Late Great)).

Enjoy the car the way you want it.

------------------
Jerry Acheson
Indianapolis, IN
Jerrys 64 SS Home Page (http://sites.netscape.net/jerryacheson/jerryssite)

67Heaven
Oct 7th, 10, 1:03 AM
to me it's ALL about personal preference...if you like the SS look and it works from a malibu why not? you have guys that have a SS and tub it and drag race so what's the difference...they ruin an SS for what they love to do with their car. be honest ONLY if you sell...other than sellin' who cares we are all muscle car guys...appreciate our kind for being muscle car guys...not about the car it's about the commradity...and keepin the muscle alive...geesh. if a guy has 5 kids and mom died and all his dream is to clone a car that he cannot afford and do his best to what he likes for HIS car your opinion cloning don't mean...***** in this short time we are here...peace out love you all...

Pete 67
Oct 7th, 10, 1:12 AM
to me it's ALL about personal preference...if you like the SS look and it works from a malibu why not? you have guys that have a SS and tub it and drag race so what's the difference...they ruin an SS for what they love to do with their car. be honest ONLY if you sell...other than sellin' who cares we are all muscle car guys...appreciate our kind for being muscle car guys...not about the car it's about the commradity...and keepin the muscle alive...geesh. if a guy has 5 kids and mom died and all his dream is to clone a car that he cannot afford and do his best to what he likes for HIS car your opinion cloning don't mean...***** in this short time we are here...peace out love you all...

Just an FYI....this thread is 9 years old! :eek: