Team Chevelle banner

Idle Stop Solenoid

13K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Flye 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of ordering all new wiring harnesses for my 1969 SS 4 spd. and need help. I have a choice to make about the engine harness with Idle Stop Solenoid. What is it, where is it, what does it look like and what does it do. Want to put everything back as original. Car was apart when I got it. All help is appreciated.

#3 ·
John-doesn't the solenoid actually hold the idle speed up when energized,then allow the throttle plates to fully close at shutdown.At least this was the way I had it configured to stop my 327 w/750 holley from dieseling.

------------------
66 malibu 427,69 c-10 350,65 chevy-II 327,etc.

#4 ·
Thats right "working on it".

If anyone knows where to get a new one, please let me know. The one on my 69 has been dead for years and after checking all the good auto stores, have found that this part is no longer available.

I've been running into that line alot lately. Try buying a horn relay for a '72 Chevy. "no longer available".

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Check out my website:
Bobs 409 Chevy Page

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

#6 ·
The idle stop solenoid pushes a plunger forward into the carb linkage when you first turn the car on. It is usually set a little higher than the idle screw so that the throttle plate gets fully closed when the car is shut off.
My 72 non-A/C car had one from the factory.

Mr409
You guys on the East Coast must wear out horn relays. Have another used one if you can't find one. Think I just mailed one out east about 6 weeks ago.

#9 ·
It's alot easier to set up your idle speed with one installed. When it's energized, it kicks up the idle speed to the correct RPM, and then when the engine shuts down, the carb closes completely to prevent dieseling or "run-on". Holley makes a replacement, which I used, when I installed my 4160 4 barrel a few years ago. It's probably original equipment on the '69 Chevelles as well because of the leaner mixture and higher idle speed and higher engine temps required to meet the new, at the time, emmission standards.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
551,000+ miles on car.
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

#10 ·
I came across this thread in a search for exact same question/issue that krum had..;

While I know this sounds extremely ignorant....

What does it specifically look like? When I go back to car, I'd like to know exactly what to look for to tell which harness I'll need. Pictures? (no catalog has pic of one that I've found)

Thanks.

#11 ·
I don't have any pics but here goes on a description... It's a metal cylinder looking device with what appears to be a bolt sticking out of it that the throttle linkage rests on. (will be on the driver side of the carb) You turn the bolt to adjust. It has a thick wire going to it as well.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton
Somebody stop me... :)

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

The 348/409 Chevrolet forum
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/187005

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.