SC&C vs. UMI complete suspension kit [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: SC&C vs. UMI complete suspension kit

fathom70ss
Aug 22nd, 13, 3:58 PM
1970 chevelle Big block. Non A/C car.

I was looking into a UMI stage 4 complete suspension kit. I want to lower it 1 inch in the rear and I like how you can adjust the front shocks, giving me the ability to lower the front 1 OR 2 inches.

I recently read on the forum about SC&C. Heard a lot of good things too.

Between the two, what do you guy think? Anyone have either of these complete kits?

Kirk's67SS
Aug 22nd, 13, 4:21 PM
I looked at various other companies
eg. BMR Fab. / Hotchkis / Edelbrock / Hellwigs / SC & C / HRPartsNStuff / Speed Tech .....
I would have purchased the UMI Perf 64-67 GM A Body Handling Package- Stage 2 # ABF403-64
except that the kit came with 1" lowering springs
which I did not want or need as I run OEM stock springs for the stock riding height.

I would talk to Ramey at UMI Perf for any suspension needs .
I did and have bought all my suspension parts from UMI Perf.
I purchased the following from UMI Perf and found them to be
of the best looking & quality that I have ever seen/used;
1. UMI Perf 64-67 GM A Body Rear Lower Boxed / Adj Upper Control Arms # 402126
2. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A Body Solid Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit # 403534
3. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Tubular Upper & Lower Front A-Arm Kit # 403133
4. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Viking Front Coil Over, Dbl Adj Shocks # A205-550T
5. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A-Body Viking Rear Dbl Adj Shocks # B220

Good luck with your car and the changes you have planned .

BMR Sales
Aug 22nd, 13, 5:03 PM
I looked at various other companies
eg. BMR Fab. / Hotchkis / Edelbrock / Hellwigs / SC & C / HRPartsNStuff / Speed Tech .....

Thanks for including us Greg...... I wished you had called us because we often customize kits or put custom kits together for many of our customers according to their needs, budget, goals, etc.

Sean, I usually ask a few questions before I make any suggestions to determine the best possible bang for the buck.

I think many guys spend more than they need or will use. I pride myself in asking as many questions as possible before making a decision on what is best for the customerís hard earned money.

First question is what do you have for goals for the car once it is done? Is it going to be a factory restoration, daily driver/weekend cruiser, weekend warrior/drag car, Pro-Touring/handling machine, etc.

Second question is do you need and/or plan to improve the braking & steering systems to compliment any suspension upgrades?

Third question is do you have a specific budget in mind?

Lastly, do you plan to do the work yourself?

We have some great parts/kits that work great on these cars and we are developing more for the future!

Here is a install article that the folks at Chevy Hi Performance did on our Level 2 kit:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...l/viewall.html (http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/tech/chassis/suspension_steering/1012chp_bmr_level_2_handling_package_install/viewall.html)

Bluegoose1970
Aug 22nd, 13, 5:52 PM
I have a SC&C kit for a 70. Very well pleased with it, but the offerings from other companies are developing and expanding. I think you need to talk to the ones you are interested in, for the usage you intend, and get an idea of what they have to offer and the draw backs of their products. If they do not tell you the bad with the good, go to the next. Go in with a budget, yours not an a package by any of them, and see the results. Package deals sometimes are great, but you may get items you do not need.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

-SS454-
Aug 23rd, 13, 12:29 AM
From what I seen SC&C was the go to place that offered more advanced street/racing parts that were typically light weight and very adjustable, but UMI and even some other companies are offering the same.

fathom70ss
Aug 23rd, 13, 3:37 AM
Plans for the car are more towards street/strip. A weekend driver that will occasionally be raced. I will be converting the rear drums to a 4 wheel disc brake kit. As far as budget goes, the cheaper the better. by that I mean I would like to spend whats necessary to achieve noticeable results that will handle the way I will be driving the car. I wont be making turns at 70mph but I'm looking for something that rides nice at regular cruising speeds that can also perform well during straight line/drag race situations.

UMI Tech
Aug 23rd, 13, 9:51 AM
Plans for the car are more towards street/strip. A weekend driver that will occasionally be raced. I will be converting the rear drums to a 4 wheel disc brake kit. As far as budget goes, the cheaper the better. by that I mean I would like to spend whats necessary to achieve noticeable results that will handle the way I will be driving the car. I wont be making turns at 70mph but I'm looking for something that rides nice at regular cruising speeds that can also perform well during straight line/drag race situations.

Hi Sean.

Thanks for including UMI.

We've been having good success building street/strip Chevelles and can customize any of our kits to meet your needs. The online kits are kind of a baseline starting point.

For strip we've been swapping our Roto-Joint lowers for lift bars which help forward traction and still ride and handle nicely.

If you're not corner carving we actually skip fixing some of the front end geometry to save some $. Of course if you're so inclined we can make it handle as well as launch but of course the cost changes.

thanks

ramey