GTO parts on a Chevelle Yes? No? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: GTO parts on a Chevelle Yes? No?

RDJunc
Mar 6th, 00, 6:16 AM
My son and I went to see a 69 GTO. (It would have been my son's his first car.) The enthusiasm was running high in both of us but it was a major dissapointment. The drive train was still very strong but the rest was a basket case. Lots of rust and there was not one item in the interior that was salvageable. (It is amazing the amount of damage mice can do to an interior!)

There is the possibility that the guy will part out the car. I'm interested in some of the parts for my '69 Chevelle, specifically the posi-rear, the front disc brakes, and the bucket seats. Will these work on my Chevelle.

The buckets on this car have the release high in the middle of the seat back, not a lever low on the bottom edge as I remember the seats in my first '69 Chevelle. (There is no question that these seats are original but I'm wondering if the GTO might not have been a 69.)

Thanks in advance.

Bob

JWagner
Mar 6th, 00, 7:26 AM
The brakes are a sure thing. The rear axle will fit the car, but might require a different length propeller shaft.
The seats would be no more difficult than putting in Chevelle seat, but you will have to address the different appearance between the the Chevelle and Pontiac upholstery. That is, the patterns available for the GTO seats will probably not match the Chev interior design and may be solved by getting a whole set of GTO interior parts.

halldor
Mar 6th, 00, 7:36 AM
Sure why not?If i had a GTO like that i wouldn´t hesitate to stuff the drivetrain into my 307 Malibu,and use all the good stuff like disc brakes,swaybars,posi,console,buckets.
I say,go ahead http://www.chevelles.com/forum/biggrin.gif
HR

Randy Mosier
Mar 6th, 00, 8:39 AM
The seat frames are the same, you just need to order the correct covers for a Chevelle. I'm not sure about the plastic seat back covers. I think you can repros in the correct color.

Tedster
Mar 6th, 00, 12:59 PM
Is it a BOP or Chevy posi rear? If it's a BOP rearend, be forewarned. It is commonly thought that these rear-end's are not as strong as the Chevy versions. While they are fine for mild to moderate motors, they are not recommended for high HP situations.

Does it have a hood tach or a guage cluster with a tach? I am looking for either one to put on my 68 LeMans.

------------------
Ted Stojkovski
Syracuse NY
Team Chevelle #172

[This message has been edited by Tedster (edited 03-06-2000).]

Ken K
Mar 6th, 00, 7:17 PM
Tedster, the Pontiac Buick 10 bolt rear end is much stronger than the Chevy 10 bolt. The Pontiac Buick 10 bolt has bolt in axles and a stronger pinion gear. These rear ends hold up under the high torque of the big Buick and Pontiac engines. The rest of the GTO parts will work in a Chevelle.

Dave Birdwell
Mar 6th, 00, 8:14 PM
PLus these rears use a 4-pinion posi carrier if they have the posi. Most all GTO's have either 3.55 gear without A/C, and 3.23 gear with A/C. The seat frames are the same, 69-72. All bucket seats 69-72 had the pushbutton in the middle of the seatback. Only the bench seat had the low outside release lever.
Is the Pontiac a 4-speed or auto??

------------------
'70 LS6
'69 Camaro Indy Pace Car
'68 Elky 396/375 M22
'69 Chevelle SS396/375
Wanted- '70 GTO Judge!

Tedster
Mar 6th, 00, 10:01 PM
You guys are absolutely right. The BOP 8.2 inch 10 bolt posi is superior to the 8.2 inch Chivvy 10 bolt. And while the 8.2 works, most people will tell you that when building a 10 bolt for strength, the 8.5 inch "corporate" rear is the way to go.

The "corporate" ring gear is 8.5 inches as compared to 8.875 for the 12 bolt. That's a difference of only .3750 inches. When we compare the 8.2 inch ring gear to the 12 bolt, we see a difference of .675 inches (over a half inch difference!!!). I'm not 100% on this but I beleive that they introduced 8.5's during the 70 model year and discontinued the 8.2's in the 72 model year.

While there is such a thing as a 8.5 inch BOP rear, it's pretty much obsolete and really shouldn't be considered for serious performance applications.

Just my opinion.

------------------
Ted Stojkovski
Syracuse NY
Team Chevelle #172

[This message has been edited by Tedster (edited 03-06-2000).]

RDJunc
Mar 7th, 00, 4:29 AM
The car has a 400 CID motor but with a 2B carb. The shifter is on the column but with the 400 trans. (Go figure. There are decisions that some people just shouldn't be allowed to make! http://www.chevelles.com/forum/wink.gif Like I said, the motor is still very strong, supposedly having been rebuilt 35K ago. The trans and rear have also been done, supposedly.

This guy is owner #2. #1 is also local and the car was purchased local. (NE of Philadelphia)

I would then assume that the rear is beefy enough for my Chevelle to replace my 2 hundred something rear gears connected to my PowerGlide (to be a TH350 eventually).

I didn't even bother to worry about the guages since it would be a real project and not something for my 15 year old son to get involved with. I don't even recall which ones it had or if they worked. I figure they did work. It was surprising how much in that car did work given its condition, even the key buzzer!

Oh, I forgot to mention. He wanted $1500 for the whole shebang. (Or is that chibang, or shibang?)

Tedster
Mar 7th, 00, 10:34 AM
If you decide to buy it, I'd be interested in some of the parts. If you have no use for the poncho motor/trans combo, I'd be willing to take it off your hands for you. Also, if it does have a hood tach and/or tach guage cluster, I'd be willing to take that off your hands also.

But, $1500 is steep for a parts car. From what you said, the body and interior are for the most part, scrap. That leaves the drivetrain. $3-500 for the motor/trans combo, $300 for the rearend and $200 for the brakes. Offer him no more than $1000 and you'll at least break even.

but I'm definetly interested in the parts.

------------------
Ted Stojkovski
Syracuse NY
Team Chevelle #172

RDJunc
Mar 7th, 00, 4:29 PM
He wanted $1500 for a car he felt was worth putting back on the road. I'm the one that suggested that it should be parted out.

It does not have a hood tach. My son remembers that it did have a tach in the instrument cluster and it did work.

If anyone is interested in any of these parts, email me with what you want. Include your name, address, phone number and email address. I will put a list together and let this guy know what parts you all are interested in. (I won't give out your information to him unless you want me to.) If he does part the car out, I'll let you know.

I'm only interested in the disc brakes, the bucket seats and the rear end.

Bob

Cam
Mar 8th, 00, 9:43 PM
If that GTO is an original 400-2 barrel regular fuel engine, then it will have smaller ports tha the 4 barrel versions. It will also have tall gearing if it is original, like 2.78:1 or 2.93. No rear sway bar until '70. The parts should fit.

lev
Mar 9th, 00, 2:09 AM
I thought all GTO were 4bbl, and the LeMans could be had as a 2bbl http://www.chevelles.com/forum/confused.gif

halldor
Mar 9th, 00, 5:50 AM
So did i,had a Haynes manual ranging US made cars from 1964-1972,and the 400 in that manual stated 4bbl. for the 400 installed in the Tempest,326 & 350 eng. had 2bbl,if memory serves me correctly.
Just my opinion :confused

RDJunc
Mar 9th, 00, 6:10 AM
Oh its all original all right. You have got to see this car. The original owner had the oddest logic for selecting the options in that car. He said he wanted it to have "get up and go" but also good gas mileage. Hence the 400 CID w/ the 2B.

Another odd choice was the shifter on the column but with bucket seats. Go figure.

Good point about the rear end. I know it is a posi. (We test drove it in a construction yard that was compacted dirt. Both wheels spun when jumped on it just a bit.) But I don't know what the ratio is.

Cam
Mar 10th, 00, 4:24 AM
From '66 (I believe) through '70 you had a 2 barrel regular fuel option on the 389 ('66) and 400s. They were supposedly automatic only, and came with fairly tall rear axles. They were Pontiac's version of what Olds called the 'Turnpike Cruiser' and are pretty rare in GTOs. With the compression drop at GM for '71 they became redundant.

Pontiacs are good for torque, and surprisingly there is recent development work in the heads. The Pontiac V8 may have been out of production since '81 but it isn't dead yet.

With regard to the original parts swap question; it might be wise to locate a Hollander exchange manual for the definitive answer. There are likely loads of little parts that could fit a Chevelle.

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited 03-10-2000).]

elcamino
Mar 10th, 00, 9:35 AM
On the subject of the rear axle assembly (drum to drum) the Hollander Interchange does not show the 1969 Pontiac Tempest/GTO as fitting. I don't know the reason but for 1968-72 Chevelle's only 1970-72 Tempest with 12 bolt (HD) cover fits.

Here's the complete list of interchange for 1968-72 Chevelle w/12 bolt (HD) axle.

Buick Special '70 12 bolt cover
Chevelle/El Camino '68-72 12 bolt cover
Gran Prix '70-72 12 bolt cover
Monte Carlo '70-72 12 bolt cover
GMC Sprint '71-72 12 bolt cover
Tempest '70-72 12 bolt cover

w/10 bolt cover
Chevelle/El Camino '68-72
Monte Carlo '70-72
GMC Sprint '71-71

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 03-10-2000).]

Ken K
Mar 11th, 00, 8:02 AM
Only the 455 equiped GTOs cam with a 12 bolt, all the rest are 10 bolts. The ports on a 2 barrel engine are not smaller than a 4 barrel, the valves are smaller. Don't waste your money on the Edelbrock heads, they are expensive and you need to get round port exhaust manifolds to make them work, a good set of D port heads on the street is all you need. Pontiac is not a high RPM engine so the Edelbrock heads will not help your performance on the street. The secret to a Pontiac engine is the heads and the cam, just about all Pontiac V8 engines cam with flat top pistons so a set of good heads will wake up a 2 bbl engine. All the good Pontiac heads came with screw in studs. Pull a valve cover off and if you see screw in studs than you have a big valve heads. The high compression big valve heads have 2.11 intake valves and 1.77 exhaust, the low compression big valve heads have 2.11 intakes and 1.66 exhaust. You will not get any better intake manifold than the 68-72 cast iron factory 4 bbl manifold, in most cases you will lose performance with an after market intake manifold. Look at the center exhaust ports, there should be some numbers just above the exhaust manifold, let me know what numbers are on it and I will be able to tell you what size valves you have and the compression ratio.