How much should I pay for machine shop for a 283? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: How much should I pay for machine shop for a 283?

chevelle malibu 64
Aug 3rd, 12, 11:31 AM
I was going to reuse the original 283 in the car. It is tore apart and nothing looks too bad. The cam is wore out which I was going to replace anyhow. I called a local machine shop just to rebuild the bottom end and he wants to use a master kit. He would supply the master kit. I don't there is anything special, just a basic kit. I was quoted 1200 for this. This is to replace cam bearings, freeze plugs, hot tank, new pistons and assembly. This doesn't include anything for the top end. Is this the going rate ( I know prices will differ by area)? This is getting into a used LS1 conversion price. A basic crate 350 is what 1700? I dont know the finance manager(ie the wife) will like this. I am looking for something to cruise around in. Any recommendations on engine kits? There is another machine shop I am going to check out. My father used to rebuild his own in the 60's. I think he might be coming out of retirement on this one.

Middleagecrisis
Aug 3rd, 12, 11:40 AM
Depends on what kind of rebuild on the 283 your looking to have done. Does it need to be bored and have new pistons? $1200 for a stock rebuilt shortblock seems pricy to me, but I'm cheap by necessity. If you were in my area I could point you to several quality shops that would fix you for significantly less than that price.

richietables
Aug 3rd, 12, 1:33 PM
Rebuilding the 283 is more expensive than some of the other small blocks due to the more expensive rebuild kits. Just a little more specific market. The 283 'cool' factor is high, though. Go for it. Remember when picking a cam that the numbers are for a 350... Go one step less aggressive in a smaller motor. Just my 2 cents...

LeoP
Aug 3rd, 12, 2:13 PM
JMHO, go with the GM crate. My machinist says that rebuilding the 283 and 327 costs more than a 350. Good luck with your choice.

twotone64
Aug 3rd, 12, 6:54 PM
In central California, my machine guys machineing prices for the bottom end of the engine should be around $300-$400, crank about $150 to turn assuming yours is usable, and the master kit should be around $600. This doesn't include if he is going to do the assembly. The masterkit should come with a stock/oem replacement cam. Upgrading the cam should be around $100-$200. If I remember correctly heads are $150 to check, and another $400 to rebuild with new parts.

rkd
Aug 3rd, 12, 11:19 PM
If that includes the parts and machine work, and assembly, its a good price.

I spent a bit more than that on my 350 and did the assembly myself.

A 283 does have a cool factor to me in an early Chevelle.

novaderrik
Aug 4th, 12, 12:13 AM
JMHO, go with the GM crate. My machinist says that rebuilding the 283 and 327 costs more than a 350. Good luck with your choice.

do this.. get a replacement engine for a 92ish Caprice with a 350.. it comes with PM rods, hypereutectic pistons that have 9:1 compression, a decent roller cam, and makes almost 300hp with headers.. paint it orange and drop it in with all the stock accessories, and you can make it look almost like the 283 if you get adapters to run perimeter bolt valve covers..
last i checked this engine was right in the $1500 range- which is a killer deal for an all new 300hp engine with a warranty..

or there is also the idea of doing a 4.8 or 5.3 swap, which would come in at around the same price if you go with a good junkyard engine and do the work to put it in and get it running yourself.

64play
Aug 4th, 12, 3:46 AM
...or just drive out and buy my ready-to-go 283 for $450.

langss
Aug 4th, 12, 12:46 PM
If your not in a hurry to get this up and running, and can wait until the Thanksgiving Holiday, Every year as far back as I can remember http://sdparts.reachlocal.com/?scid=1995374&kw=13659771&pub_cr_id=5873201138 has had a sale on the Goodwrench 350. I got one of these a few years ago for my Truck. it came with an Edelbrock Performer,Gaskets, and Bolts + free shipping. That all may have changed, but just the same for the engine alone, its a pretty good deal.

shomejim
Aug 4th, 12, 10:27 PM
I say do like Derrick says. $1200 for the bottom end, then you have to do the heads, and to do them right you'll want to put in hardened seats for the unleaded fuel, a valve job, the guides may need done. Anyway you're looking at about 500plus or minus 100 added to the 1200. You can buy a crate motor with a warranty for about the same outlay. The hi-po crates are the way to go unless you want bone stock or all out racing.

SamSnyder
Aug 5th, 12, 2:52 AM
Cheapest 350 short block rebuild (machined .30 over w/ cast pistons, rings, bearings, RV cam, double roller timing set and a full gasket set) I could find in L.A. was $575. I think that's about the bottom for a short block rebuild.

chevelle malibu 64
Aug 6th, 12, 11:35 AM
I really want to keep it the 283 in it. Dont see many around anymore. Also keeping the 3 speed on the tree. I have a set of 416 305 heads that have already been machined. Going to check a couple of other speed shops and see how much just to clean, check the block and crank and put in cam bearings and freeze plugs. The last engine my Dad built was in 1991, and it is still going strong, so I am going to see if he can do another one.

richietables
Aug 6th, 12, 1:34 PM
:beers:

Glad you're planning to keep the 283... I have 416's on mine, eddy dual plane intake and eddy 500 cfm carb. Really a strong and reliable little motor...

chevelle malibu 64
Aug 10th, 12, 4:45 PM
I took the 283 to another machine shop today. Even less thrilled with this one. Didn't like the 416 heads I have. Would only guarantee the engine if he assemblied the long block and used his heads which he would do a valve job on. The quote was over well over $2000 but would knock 300 off if I paid all up front. I know the engine needs bored out. There is a pretty good ridge on top of the cylinders. The parts was going to be over 750. Wanted to deck the block, line hone etc.. said all blocks have problems. I asked about a crate engine, seeing if they sold their version of one. All I got was crate engines are massed produce and not very good. This car isn't one of 20 or rare or anything, just wanted the 283 to be different. He is going to hot tank the engine and magnaflux it to look for cracks. Told him would think about the rest of the work over the weekend and give them a call on Monday. Well actually, I barely left the parkling lot. It's not going to happen. Going to pick it back up, take it somewhere else and have it bored and going to have my Dad help me assembly it. Anybody know of good place for 283 master engine kits?

rortwein
Aug 10th, 12, 7:16 PM
This is just an option here so please take it for what it is worth. I know it is low buck but spending 2k+ is not always an option. At least not always for guys like me.

I would be considering simply taking it apart. Honing the cylinders. Having the block hot tanked. New Cam bearing, freeze plugs and putting it together w/ new rings and bearings. Chose a flat tappet cam and use your 416 heads.

This would be the cheapest by far. Look at Northern for a Re-ring kit and bearing kit and go. New oil pump too since the cam went. Probably only have a couple of hundred in it all together.

Hate to say it but had the cam not gone flat I may not have even hot tanked it but you want to make sure you get all the metal out before reassembly. Have done it before and have had a blast with the low buck engines.

If you have a ring compressor and a torque wrench you are set. Engine stand would be nice but I have done it w/o already.

Just an option.

BillsCamino
Aug 10th, 12, 7:52 PM
do this.. get a replacement engine for a 92ish Caprice with a 350.. it comes with PM rods, hypereutectic pistons that have 9:1 compression, a decent roller cam, and makes almost 300hp with headers.. paint it orange and drop it in with all the stock accessories, and you can make it look almost like the 283 if you get adapters to run perimeter bolt valve covers.

If you're refering to GM p/n 12513151 (according to an older Pace catalog I have) that replacement crate engine has been discontinued. :(
Shame...a great deal for what's in it.
Also, same catalog states it has no fuel pump boss?? Not positive about that...many errors in those GMPP catalogs.

oktunes
Aug 11th, 12, 12:47 AM
If you just want something low performance like the 283, check Jegs price for the 260hp 350. They currently have free shipping on engines. Save the wore out 283 for somebody that cares about numbers and put a new, complete engine in your car. Less money, better engine.

SSuper Dave
Aug 11th, 12, 12:05 PM
I've gotten engines off craigslist for a song that were great. The 461 in my '68 Chevelle has 3K miles on it and came with two sets of heads, and cost $450. If you're hung up on the 283, sounds like it won't be cheap.

Chevy67
Aug 11th, 12, 12:21 PM
I had a 283 in my '67 for several years. It had 416 heads, a small cam from Summit, Eddy performer RPM & 500 CFM carb and headers. It started up without drama, sounded great and was a fun motor to cruise around in. The parts will cost more but if that is what you want, go for it. I would farm out the machine work and do the assembly yourself. It isn't hard and is a fun and rewarding experience. That's how I got started about 35 years ago.

twotone64
Aug 11th, 12, 6:11 PM
The kit shouldnt be that much more in the grand scheme of things. Here is an example from ONE website, the first one from google:

CHE-350BLOCKKIT
350 Chevy Block Kit
$189.95
Piston Rings
Rod Bearings
Main Bearings
Full Gasket Set
Oil Pump
Cast Pistons

CHE-283-MK
Chevrolet 283ci 1957 - 67 Master Kit
$289.95 Each