Rear spring mounts? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Rear spring mounts?

Blownchevelle68
Feb 23rd, 12, 9:24 PM
Im having a new rear end built for my '70 and found that a previous owner cobbled together some type of spring clamps that held the rear coil springs in. Is there supposed to be a clamp or something holding the rear springs in? Once I lowered the differential the springs remained held in by a upper bracket that also looked homemade, but not sure.

On the lower spring driver side I had this clamp that looks homemade:

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp107/Blownchevelle68/Chevelle/IMG_2477.jpg

Passenger side they used a muffler flange and a old dumbell weight to make this disaster:

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp107/Blownchevelle68/Chevelle/IMG_2482.jpg

And holding the springs in at the top was this on each side, which I did'nt think looked right either:

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp107/Blownchevelle68/Chevelle/IMG_2479.jpg

I've looked around and cannot find anything else on these clamps. Looking at the springs Im not really sure they are the correct ones either. HELP!! lol...

VinceS427bb
Feb 24th, 12, 2:22 AM
none of that crap belongs there...
springs are held in place by the shocks not allowing the rear to drop down too far.
unless the springs are very short or the car had hydraulics the springs should stay in place.
even with the car jacked up and the wheels hanging.
oh yeah, the upper mounts should have some rubber cushions to cut road noise transfer.
pigtail of upper end of spring rest on the rubber donut cushion...

SSR71
Feb 24th, 12, 9:15 AM
x2 - no clamps.

fleming23
Feb 24th, 12, 9:17 AM
I wonder why they went through so much trouble to rig all that together...

UMI Tech
Feb 24th, 12, 10:37 AM
I wonder why they went through so much trouble to rig all that together...

I don't know but anytime you can use a square nut on something...

fleming23
Feb 24th, 12, 11:10 AM

Or a dumbbell weight...all in one application

gary72
Feb 24th, 12, 11:12 AM
love the dumbell- thats is the funnest thing I have seen- no clamps on both of my 1972's, 1965 or my 1967 Chevelles- not sure why anyone would do this other than if they were incorrect springs and previous owner was afraid they would fall out- love the square nut!!!

dream66
Feb 24th, 12, 11:16 AM
dumbbell weight - good way to prevent wheel hop :hurray:

Kirk's67SS
Feb 24th, 12, 11:44 AM
To me it looks like they are 66 coil springs installed upside down !

The small end of the spring is at the top when it should be on the bottom on a 66 rear end spring perch,
and the open end of the spring is at the bottom when it should be on the top in a 66 body
so it indexes into the upper frame pocket/rail of the 66 body .
This would seem to lock it into place preventing it from rotating !?

Blownchevelle68
Feb 24th, 12, 12:37 PM
Well I did'nt think anything should have been in there, but got to second guessing myself! We were getting ready to take off the spring with the dumbell weight and my buddy said "No way, thats a weight" !!

And the square nut...It took a torch to cut that whole mess out. We did'nt think the springs looked correct either.

Im discovering all sorts of weird crap that people have done over the years to this car. On the rear end yoke, I found where someone broke one of the retaining tabs for the U-joints off somehow-so they screwed a sheet metal screw in right next to the bearing cap to keep it in the car!! :noway:

Thanks for all the replys everyone! I'll be taking that crap out and ordering new springs!!

dream66
Feb 24th, 12, 12:43 PM
... they screwed a sheet metal screw in right next to the bearing cap to keep it in the car!! :noway:

Sounds like a San Antonio special. :yes:

Blownchevelle68
Feb 24th, 12, 1:00 PM

Ramey-I'll have some great before and after pics for ya once we get your suspension installed in the fall!!

VinceS427bb
Feb 24th, 12, 3:23 PM
Square nut:beers:

UMI Tech
Feb 24th, 12, 3:37 PM
Ramey-I'll have some great before and after pics for ya once we get your suspension installed in the fall!!

Hey Jason.

Our parts usually do pretty well for themselves but especially when the baseline is dumbbell weights and farmer nuts!

I actually feel pretty bad that I've fastened lead blocks onto my stock car with square nuts. My dad had a bunch of long all thread type product that came from a telephone pole type installation. Oh the shame.

ramey