1967 Vintage Air heater and air controls [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 1967 Vintage Air heater and air controls

HMartin
Feb 4th, 12, 8:44 PM
Need some advice, I have a 67 Chevelle with no heater controls, no nothing in terms of heat or air. I smoothed my firewall and assume that the Vintage Air Surefit IV kit with be sufficient for my application. One of my questions is do I need a heater control switch panel (stock) to work with this kit or can I buy a control panel from Vintage Air and make it work in my dash. I have a 427 with stock AC brackets (short water pump).

Feb 5th, 12, 2:38 AM
if you go online with Vintage you can read their installation manual. It appears you need your controls either way ( electronic conversion or cable style ), you can use stock AC controls or stock non ac controls too. I am looking at this kit for my 66 too. I am going long style pump so I can tuck all the engine accessories in tight> I went to March pulleys website and looked around a bit there.

HMartin
Feb 5th, 12, 9:30 AM
I was kinda of wondering if I need to get another heater control panel, I had two and sold them both when I raced the car! Any other parts I need to source together underneath the dash, right now I have nothing, my car was gutted for racing.

fasteddies68
Feb 5th, 12, 12:51 PM
I just installed a Vintage air system in my '68 Chevelle last summer. The control panel comes with the kit . I think it works great and the install was pretty easy.

HMartin
Feb 5th, 12, 1:01 PM
I just installed a Vintage air system in my '68 Chevelle last summer. The control panel comes with the kit . I think it works great and the install was pretty easy.

Guess I just need to contact them! None of the pics of the Gen IV kit show this, at least the ones I have looked at. The control panel would be great, I don't care about originality, just functionality!

Bryan59EC
Feb 5th, 12, 4:06 PM
The Gen IV kit want you to use your original control panel.

Not too difficult to modify for their control slides at all.
Took me about 15 minutes to get all three slides connected.

But---if you have no control panel, I see no reason why you could not use one of their control panels.

Of course you would have to figure out how to mount it in the original location, and that might mean some fabricating.

HMartin
Feb 5th, 12, 4:32 PM
The Gen IV kit want you to use your original control panel.

Not too difficult to modify for their control slides at all.
Took me about 15 minutes to get all three slides connected.

But---if you have no control panel, I see no reason why you could not use one of their control panels.

Of course you would have to figure out how to mount it in the original location, and that might mean some fabricating.

Think I am going to buy the repop 66-67 heater control panel and go that route! I just talked to a friend who did it in a 64 Lemans and was sold on the deal!

Feb 5th, 12, 4:46 PM
thats what I would suggest, then it looks pretty stock and you know it fits and works