Can an M22 be built to take a 650HP/650ft-lbs? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Can an M22 be built to take a 650HP/650ft-lbs?

SethT
Nov 24th, 11, 12:03 PM
I have a 496 in the car with Canfield 310 heads, and I'm about to have Chris Straub grind me a hyd-roller. Is there any way to build a munci that can live behind this beast?

greg5436
Nov 24th, 11, 12:23 PM
Probably not,there is a company that makes a super Muncie (auto gear)chech into tree trans. Greg

MEJ1990TM
Nov 24th, 11, 1:23 PM
I have a 496 in the car with Canfield 310 heads, and I'm about to have Chris Straub grind me a hyd-roller. Is there any way to build a munci that can live behind this beast?

It comes down to tires, and how it will be driven. You could put a Saginaw behind that if you drive it like an old lady.

The drag racers I knew ran M22's deep into the tens at probably that same power level. After really thrashing them they each broke one. At the very least you should probably get Super Case and put your OEM internals in it. Even better would be to get a new Auto Gear transmission built by a reputable builder.

blubu
Nov 24th, 11, 1:27 PM
Anything can be broke

Tod74
Nov 24th, 11, 4:03 PM
I AM PUTTING an m20 behind a 13 to 1 461 with a hyd roller

427L88
Nov 24th, 11, 4:27 PM
No. And the type of clutch will either extend the inevitable or not. You'll eventually need to go aftermarket at that power level. Our 67 runs 125-150 HP below that and the AutoGear M22Z is only "enough" imho.

dreis454
Nov 25th, 11, 9:29 AM
Just do NOT dead hook!

cgocifer
Nov 25th, 11, 9:45 AM
Nice thread, hate to hijack it, but this seems like a good place to ask Muncie/power questions.

How about an M21 behind 430HP/430TQ? Will it be reliable?

dreis454
Nov 25th, 11, 9:56 AM
Nice thread, hate to hijack it, but this seems like a good place to ask Muncie/power questions.

How about an M21 behind 430HP/430TQ? Will it be reliable?

IMO, as long as you don't run slicks it will last a long time....:yes:

cgocifer
Nov 25th, 11, 10:00 AM
I've had the tranny in a 65 Chevelle for over 25 years with zero problems other than having to double clutch 4th gear (typical). I'm having it rebuilt with some later year goodies by Jerry MacNeish. I've never had it behind more than about 300hp, but that's going to change. Hope it holde up! :-)

DougA
Nov 25th, 11, 10:11 AM
There are so many variables,every combo will be different.Tires,driving habits,and suspension condition.One thing I learned a long time ago,is if you dump the clutch with a subpar suspension,there is hardly a transmission built that will hold up.Wheelhop is like a huge jackhammer,knocking the gears back and forth.The constant on off,on off,rapid release and then grabbing of traction will murder your trans in a short order.I ran a stock M-20 in the low 11's with slicks on a heavy car,constantly,never hurt it,but it had a tight suspension.I had a high 13 second 55 Chevy when I was a kid in the 60's,with an M-21 that I busted the countershaft in twice before I figured out it was a shot suspension doing it.:(

MEJ1990TM
Nov 25th, 11, 10:34 AM
I've had the tranny in a 65 Chevelle for over 25 years with zero problems other than having to double clutch 4th gear (typical). I'm having it rebuilt with some later year goodies by Jerry MacNeish. I've never had it behind more than about 300hp, but that's going to change. Hope it holde up! :-)

Double clutch as in push the clutch in, take the trans out of gear, release the clutch, push the clutch back down, and then shift into gear? If that is the case, no, that is not typical. You should be able to shift proper working Muncie without having to double clutch.

JodysTransmissions
Nov 25th, 11, 12:26 PM

You need to post more stats about your car and driveline.

Flywheel weight?
Clutch?
Differential gearing?
Rear tires?

As others have mentioned;

Autogear Supercase/Iron midplate or a Doug Nash cast iron Muncie case.

Reduce the endplay/axial movement of the cluster gear
Add extra maindrive gear shim

Preload the transmission/gearset/driveline before you do a holeshot!

cgocifer
Nov 25th, 11, 3:47 PM
Double clutch as in push the clutch in, take the trans out of gear, release the clutch, push the clutch back down, and then shift into gear? If that is the case, no, that is not typical. You should be able to shift proper working Muncie without having to double clutch.

As in, push the clutch in, shift from 3rd to... grind, release clutch, push clutch back in, and shift into 4th.

Not typical for normal ops, but a typical issue as these age. My synchros were old and needed some work.