454 tow build [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 454 tow build

Rixjohnson
Jun 22nd, 11, 9:59 PM
first hello to all and thanx for readin.im lookin to build a 454 for towing [lookin for a lot of torque ] i alredy have the block ,peanut port heads a steel crank and rods ,i really need help with the rest of the components like cam ,spring to go with the cam ,lifters and pistons .i would like to put a flat tappet cam the roller stuff is expensive .oh yeah this engine will replace my current 454 that i have in the truck its an 84 chevy c20.it runs good just feel like my 3800 utility trailer is pullin the truck,so hopefully you guys can help me i really need it. if im missing any info please let me know .o one mote thing about the peanut port heads when i have them rebuilt should i have anything special done? new valves ,bigger valves or anything please let me know .parts ill be using from my current will be the edelbrock performer intake ,the 750 carb ,taylor plug wires .thanx dor readin and hopefully someone can help mehttp://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz307/rixjohnson/069-2.jpgpicture of my truck

job68327
Jun 23rd, 11, 7:34 AM
Nice Truck:thumbsup:

jeff swisher
Jun 23rd, 11, 8:28 PM
for a tow build it is hard to beat the peanut heads..bowl port them ,,stock size valve are fine...I like the 268h comp cam for good low speed TQ and if you are bucks up a 1/4" stroker crank would be awesome...
I know one gent. with the 496 and peanut heads and a 280h comp cam and it makes over 600ft lbs of TQ and is in a 1 ton dually and he pulls a 40foot enclosed trailer to the swap meets full of iron..said it pulls better than any stock diesel he ever had

You may find some power in the current engine with a timing chain upgrade and advancing the stock cam 4 degrees..

Rixjohnson
Jun 23rd, 11, 9:24 PM
for a tow build it is hard to beat the peanut heads..bowl port them ,,stock size valve are fine...I like the 268h comp cam for good low speed TQ and if you are bucks up a 1/4" stroker crank would be awesome...
I know one gent. with the 496 and peanut heads and a 280h comp cam and it makes over 600ft lbs of TQ and is in a 1 ton dually and he pulls a 40foot enclosed trailer to the swap meets full of iron..said it pulls better than any stock diesel he ever had

You may find some power in the current engine with a timing chain upgrade and advancing the stock cam 4 degrees..
thanx jeff s should i put new valves

jeff swisher
Jun 23rd, 11, 10:23 PM
i usually do on certain builds..it is up to you..all my 351c builds get new valves no matter what
I have used the sbc valves many times..but the BBC used in a tow app. i would do it