Glass Holley Sight Plugs? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Glass Holley Sight Plugs?

Euell Florett
May 13th, 11, 4:00 PM
Does someone make actual glass fuel bowl sight plugs for 4150 Holley carbs? :confused:

The Holley plastic sight plugs, e.g., Street Avenger series, seem to start dissolving instantly. :(

It'd be great if there was a nice non-leaking, non-frosting, non-dissolving glass sight plug that you could leave installed 24/7. :thumbsup:

Hope there is a source for such.

Thanks!

crazydavey
May 13th, 11, 4:09 PM
you might see if you can get some from Prosystems, mine don't leak at all.....

dtrubey
May 13th, 11, 4:13 PM
Proform sells the bowls with the glass inserts. There aren't any screw in that I know of.

lg1969
May 13th, 11, 4:16 PM
Does someone make actual glass fuel bowl sight plugs for 4150 Holley carbs? :confused:

The Holley plastic sight plugs, e.g., Street Avenger series, seem to start dissolving instantly. :(

It'd be great if there was a nice non-leaking, non-frosting, non-dissolving glass sight plug that you could leave installed 24/7. :thumbsup:

Thanks!
Good old fashon brass plug will work fine. Unless you are taking drugs and look at the sight plug and watching gas slouching around like a tumbling washing machine and look at the window and saying "Hey man... that looks groovy.... wow!!" :cool:

crazydavey
May 13th, 11, 4:18 PM
where the hell is Bohemia??:cool:

lg1969
May 13th, 11, 4:20 PM
Right smack dab in the middle of Long Island. :D

crazydavey
May 13th, 11, 4:44 PM
that's a name I just wouldn't think of for NY.....of course Yucaipa......never mind.....:D

lg1969
May 13th, 11, 4:49 PM
Yeah, I can't even pronounce Yuca.... What???:p

Keith Tedford
May 13th, 11, 4:53 PM
I set the float levels when I first put the present carb on our L78 and that was 7-8 years ago. I've never seen much reason to be checking float levels very often. They never changed. I just use the stock Holley stuff.

lg1969
May 13th, 11, 5:18 PM
Davey, If you care to come to long Island you can go to a cruise night, We got plenty over here. We have it on Tuesday, Thrusday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday Morning. 100 to 500 Cars or more a night. 200 Sunday morning. All 120 miles on the Island. (Only 15 miles wide... Who cares anyway). http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=63792

Euell Florett
May 13th, 11, 6:39 PM
Thanks, Davey & Dal! :beers:

Thanks for your helpful replies! :thumbsup:

Any other responses as to potential sources for:

glass replacements for the plastic Holley fuel bowl sight plugs?

Tom Mobley
May 13th, 11, 9:05 PM
The Holley that's on my 57 Chevy truck, I set the floats 9 years ago when I built the carb. Never adjusted them again, never had the brass sight plugs out.

I don't screw around with it and it doesn't screw around with me.

Ever notice that guys don't constantly screw around with the floats on Q-jets, Carters, Edelbrocks, Webers, etc, etc? If the floats on those carbs were externally adjustable guys would be screwing around with them all the time, installing glass sight plugs, getting into debates on technique, frequency of adjustment, minute differences of fuel pressure and its' effects, etc, etc. The float/needle&seat assembly is not substantially different on the externally adjustable Holleys than those other carbs. Set it, forget about it.

Heresy, I know.

Know what else? I've never owned or spent even one dime of my money on one of those MSD red brick things you see on so many firewalls. Never will. Guess I must be just a total hot rod failure......

I think I'll change the air in my tires this weekend. Get some overpriced double throwdown super trick air and install it.

Mike
May 13th, 11, 9:19 PM
If you go for the aftermarket glass or plastic sight plug buy a good fire extinguisher.

Mikeys69
May 13th, 11, 9:19 PM

Thanks!

Got no idea what your talking about. Mine has never leaked, frosted or dissolved. But then again I use gas in my carb.

dreis454
May 14th, 11, 6:59 AM
Got no idea what your talking about. Mine has never leaked, frosted or dissolved. But then again I use gas in my carb.

IS there ETHANOL in the gas in Canada? That is what is eating the sight plugs.

creeper72
May 14th, 11, 9:05 AM
Right now Allstate Carb has the aluminum bowls with sight glass for
$18.99 ea. - great deal.
I got a set yesterday from AED for $30 ea and installed. They are the shiny aluminum, so dont match perfect on the zinc carbs but work well.

Try this LINK (http://www.allcarbs.com/detail.php?pid=682)

Keith Tedford
May 14th, 11, 9:19 AM
Here in Ontario we have alcohol. At a Shell station, on the pumps it said, zero alcohol in the premium, five percent in the mid grade and ten percent in the regular. With the loss of gas mileage with regular, premium turns out not to be as much more expensive as it first appears.

Yellomalibu
May 14th, 11, 9:46 AM
Here in Ontario we have alcohol. At a Shell station, on the pumps it said, zero alcohol in the premium, five percent in the mid grade and ten percent in the regular. With the loss of gas mileage with regular, premium turns out not to be as much more expensive as it first appears.

Here in central Florida, all the "normal" gas (found at gas stations) has "up to 10% ethanol" in it. Every octane.
The place on the edge of town that sells race fuel also sells gasoline with no ethanol. It's 40 or 50 cents a gallon more than the ethanol crap at the gas stations, but people with boats and classic cars are obviously buying enough of it to keep them continuing it.
10% ethanol kills gas mileage about 10%... so... I guess I'll stop before it gets political.

Float levels/ sight plugs - I'm with the people who believe you don't need to mess with them once they're set.

jmarkaudio
May 14th, 11, 12:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aluminum-Fuel-Bowl-Holley-QFT-/230615467355?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b1c0c55b#ht_500wt_1182

Both Holley and Quick Fuel have sight glass bowls, the one above is the QF design and has glass on both sides of the bowl. Since real glass is used, the fuel will not deteriorate it unlike the plastic screw in plugs.

forcd ind
May 14th, 11, 12:32 PM
about the only way i know of to get glass is buy new bowls-try and get the ones that are also on the drivers side-makes sense, i mean where are you when you first turn on the pump, prob on the drivers side, so cuts down on the time a carb could flood by shorting up your walk, lol

syracuse elkyman
May 14th, 11, 1:51 PM
Right now Allstate Carb has the aluminum bowls with sight glass for $18.99 ea. - great deal. They are the shiny aluminum, so dont match perfect on the zinc carbs but work well.Try this LINK (http://www.allcarbs.com/detail.php?pid=682)thanks for the link!! i just ordered a pair for the camino:thumbsup::cool::D http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/elkyman/Esta5-30-10143.jpg