whats a good distributor for a street/strip car [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: whats a good distributor for a street/strip car

67chevelle406
May 6th, 11, 5:00 PM
I am trying to get all my planning figured out for the 383 in the Camaro I have most picked but not what distributor to go with. I thaught about just using an HEI with the MSD module so it will have a rev limiter. I know a lot of people say you need an MSD distributor and 6AL box but I don't really want to spend $600 on my ignition if I don't need to. What are you guys running that work well for a street/strip car? Thanks

greg_moreira
May 6th, 11, 5:23 PM
HEI will be fine if thats the route you wanted to go. As of right now....I have a junkyard HEI(got a bunch of em in the garage). I used the MSD weights and center(17 bucks) for a curve that provides about 20-22 degrees of mechanical advance(im around 16 initial and around 36-38 total). No issue whatsoever with using factory weights and center if the curve in those factory parts works well with your setup. I use an original GM 990 module. Napa sells a replacement for that which is just as good in the 40 dollar price range.

I used the MSD dust cover for an external coil conversion(which is like 30 bucks and comes with the wiring) and I used a crane PS60 oil filled canister coil(like 40 bucks). The module fires the external coil, and the msd dust cover puts a post on the top of the cap for the coil wire. MSD low resistance bushing also is in the cap.

Up until last week I was running with the stock coil in the cap still, and no problems with just the good module.

I've been up around 6500rpm, and with the addition of the new coil....I expect it could handle even more.

Since I had the distributor and module, Im only about 100 bucks invested. not even really.. If I needed to buy an HEI...they are about 10 bucks at the boneyards, and around 40 dollars for a good module(unless you wanted to spend the extra on an MSD with the built in rev limiter). Even having to buy those parts....youre talking 150 tops in my system.

If you didnt want to mix and match and just wanted to buy a distributor and be done with it....the GM HEI off of the GM ZZ series crate engines is a good one.

Winston Wolf
May 6th, 11, 5:24 PM
I changed to a MSD Digital Ecurve last year. I really like it. You can dial in the exact curve you want, run vaccum advance if you want, it has a rev limiter and tach output built in, and can be used with or without a 6AL box. I wish I would have switched years ago.

Not having to monkey with weights and springs and knowing EXACTY what you curve is doing is well worth the extra money and time saved.

BillsCamino
May 6th, 11, 5:41 PM
I recently bought the MSD #8362 "Street Fire" HEI. Stand alone...no ignition box req'd. I did swap out the red cap provided for a black (less obvious) AC Delco one.
I like it! :thumbsup:

67chevelle406
May 6th, 11, 5:46 PM
HEI will be fine if thats the route you wanted to go. As of right now....I have a junkyard HEI(got a bunch of em in the garage). I used the MSD weights and center(17 bucks) for a curve that provides about 20-22 degrees of mechanical advance(im around 16 initial and around 36-38 total). No issue whatsoever with using factory weights and center if the curve in those factory parts works well with your setup. I use an original GM 990 module. Napa sells a replacement for that which is just as good in the 40 dollar price range.

I used the MSD dust cover for an external coil conversion(which is like 30 bucks and comes with the wiring) and I used a crane PS60 oil filled canister coil(like 40 bucks). The module fires the external coil, and the msd dust cover puts a post on the top of the cap for the coil wire. MSD low resistance bushing also is in the cap.

Up until last week I was running with the stock coil in the cap still, and no problems with just the good module.

I've been up around 6500rpm, and with the addition of the new coil....I expect it could handle even more.

Since I had the distributor and module, Im only about 100 bucks invested. not even really.. If I needed to buy an HEI...they are about 10 bucks at the boneyards, and around 40 dollars for a good module(unless you wanted to spend the extra on an MSD with the built in rev limiter). Even having to buy those parts....youre talking 150 tops in my system.

If you didnt want to mix and match and just wanted to buy a distributor and be done with it....the GM HEI off of the GM ZZ series crate engines is a good one.

That's what I'm looking for I was just thinking of the rev limiter for some insurance just in case. I know the HEI is a pretty good dist.and much cheaper. MSD is nice but I can use the money in other places rite now.

67chevelle406
May 6th, 11, 5:56 PM
I like the MSD stuff and I'm not trying to skimp on it just looking for something cheaper as long as it will do the job. I have a lot of things to do to the car and drivetrain so any money I can save is money I can use for other things. I think the HEI will work fine I do hate the weights and springs but rite now I have more time than money.

greg_moreira
May 6th, 11, 5:57 PM
yeah no knock towards msd at all. Obviously I used a good few of their components. It also came down to budget for me. It my mind...if I was going to buy one of their ignitions, it didnt make sense to buy the HEI when I've got a good few of those to chose from.

So it was like...in order for it to be a worthwhile investment and to be able to say for sure Im getting more than I already had....I started looking towards the more expensive stuff. With everything that Im doing to the car....I basically just decided against spending all that money and figured Id pump up an HEI that I already had. It does what I need it to do!

The E-curve does sound enticing. I didnt realize it could be used without a box. Wonder what the price tag on those are?

The Old Reliable
May 6th, 11, 6:14 PM
Pertronix Ignitor III Distributor :thumbsup:

Built-In Rev Limiter

Built-In Multi-Spark, to redline

Jegs has it for around 230. :hurray:
==========================================

GOOGLE: "MSD RUST" and "MSD CORROSION"
==================================

Hope this helps. :yes: