Impact gun [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Impact gun

blumont
Mar 4th, 11, 3:11 PM
What are you guys using? I need a new one that has some uummphh behind it. I can't remove my pinion nut right now with this darn thing of mine so a new it is.

Jasons 69 Chevelle
Mar 4th, 11, 10:58 PM
Ingersoll Rand
They seem to make a nice product.

Schurkey
Mar 5th, 11, 4:32 AM
Ingersol Rand makes many different models of impact wrench.

Some of them are low-powered junk, and some of them have real torque.

No different for CP or most other brands. It's not the brand name you buy, it's the specific model of impact wrench.

My Snap-On IM510 came to me used for a very moderate price; and it's been my "old reliable" for more than a decade. I don't actually know how old it is, and it's never been apart for service. Even so, it would completely KICK ASS on brand-new CP or Ingersol junk that my employer supplied. I had to bitch for months before they saw the light and bought something usable for the other guys to operate.

That said...keep in mind that a cheap-junk Chinese 3/4" impact wrench will eviscerate a very expensive 1/2" impact wrench in terms of usable torque. I won't promise that it'll still work next month. I am damn near to the point of looking for a decent 3/4" unit; Old Reliable almost couldn't rip the bolts that hold the bed of my truck to the frame rails. (Bolts were rusty, thread-locker-chemically seized, and a couple of them need a long extension with a U-joint. Extensions eat torque, and U-joints on the extensions eat a LOT of torque when they're steeply angled.)

blumont
Mar 5th, 11, 8:14 AM
I actually tried a Ingersol rand lat night, my neighbors, it couldn't do it either. His son is bringing over one today that is supposed to be a real torque monster. If it works I might just have to buy one like it.
That red lock tite I used on the pinion when I assembled this rear is really doing its job. :yes:
I thought about heating the nut to maybe loosen the lock tite but don't know if the heat would affect the pinion.

Jasons 69 Chevelle
Mar 5th, 11, 9:07 AM
www.ingersollrandproducts.com (http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com)

Here is a link the Ingersoll Rand.
I am not sure what model I have, but it has 650ftlb TQ in reverse.

With red loctite you will need a heat source to break the bond 400 degrees I believe.

blumont
Mar 6th, 11, 10:04 AM
My neighbors son brought over his Mac impact. All I can say is wow. No drama with this thing. Put it on the nut, pull the trigger and the nut is off. It sure is nice to use good tools!!

lucky3
Mar 7th, 11, 5:13 PM
I have the mac one too. ITs a rebadged ingersoll ti impact. Save yourself about $100 and get the IR not the mac one.

blumont
Mar 7th, 11, 5:47 PM
I have the mac one too. ITs a rebadged ingersoll ti impact. Save yourself about $100 and get the IR not the mac one.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Chris R
Mar 7th, 11, 8:47 PM
The Titanium guns are very nice. I have the same gun under Matco's label.

swcash
Mar 13th, 11, 5:09 AM
Gentlemen Please! It's an impact WRENCH. If our Lawmakers get wind of this they will be outlawed in California. As it is no gun dealer in the other 49 states will ship any (un gay) to California for fear of an all out audit of their life. I am thankful that we drive our drywall screws with a screw drill, not a screw (un gay).
Thanks
Squido

Grumpy
Mar 13th, 11, 7:00 AM
I use a IR 2131 and an old Blue point.

Big Mike's Garage
Mar 13th, 11, 9:55 PM
I use the 2135TiMAX http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/IS/Product.aspx-am_en-33453 and have not met anything it would not get loose or sheer off.

LevonH
Mar 13th, 11, 9:59 PM
Hi Jerry.
A GOOD air compressor helps too. At 90 lbs. air pressure not much moves but at 125 things happen

blumont
Mar 14th, 11, 11:43 AM
Hi Jerry.
A GOOD air compressor helps too. At 90 lbs. air pressure not much moves but at 125 things happen

Yep, got you there Levon. Mine only goes 110lb. I ran a hose from my neighbors and hit with 140.
A new compressor is on my list of wants.

Schurkey
Mar 29th, 11, 7:04 PM

It's not the brand name you buy, it's the specific model of impact wrench.
Again, it's not the brand name on the tool, it's the specific tool model that's important.

Looking through the newest MAC catalog that I have, it appears that MAC is soucing from Ingersol-Rand and from AirCat, among others. Probably Florida Pneumatic, too; but I can't tell for sure.

All I know is that after reading this thread, I went out on the internet and started looking at specs for modern impact wrenches...and now I'm likely to upgrade from "Old Reliable". I expect my IM510B will be for sale soon.

There's still a huge amount of low-powered JUNK available, even from the "big names". But the cream of the crop in 3/8 drive is about as powerful as an ordinary 1/2" drive; and the cream of the 1/2 drive is as good as cheap 3/4 drive stuff--which I never thought I'd see.

Of course, a top-line 1/2" drive unit costs more than a bottom-feeder 3/4" unit; but weighs less and is less bulky.

Most air impacts are rated with 90 psi AT THE INLET OF THE TOOL, with the tool RUNNING. 90 psi in the tank gets you about 70 psi at the tool when the trigger is pulled.

Yeah, more pressure in the tank is a wonderful thing.

At least one company is starting to rate the power of the impact tool using 125 psi at the tool inlet instead of "industry standard" 90 psi. I kinda think that's cheating, since most home shops won't be able to deliver that much air pressure.

Philip
Mar 29th, 11, 7:22 PM

Same here, that tool is outstanding. I have had mine for a long time, at least 20+ years and still working perfectly. It was a MAC 50th anniversary special edition. 650 ft lbs in reverse gets the job done. To put it in perspective my 06 Duramax also has 650 ft lb of torque :yes:

puhtpuht
Mar 29th, 11, 11:31 PM
get a min 350 ft lbs impact, cheap ones at harbor freight. like reallllly cheap and I put them through hell. I have 2, a 3/8" drive at 250lbs and a 1/2" drive at 500 lbs. got em both for under 100 bucks. no probs what so ever.

ingersol, mac and the others are great tools but start at 150 bucks each usually