: 2009 Silverado Stabilitrak Problems

onick
Dec 26th, 10, 1:14 AM
Hey guys, while driving to the relatives house in my 2009 Silverado(crewcab, 4x4, bought new, less that 2 years old, 23K miles) when leaving a stop sign my dash started going crazy, the truck started to buck andthe truck died/lost all power. Scared the hell out of me, super dangerous. The message center than stated something like, traction control off, service stabilitrak, loss of engine power. It wouldn't start. while on the phone with AAA, tried once more and it started, limped home, service light remains on. I am going to drop it at the dealer tomorrow to be looked at Monday. Anyone had similar problems? From doing some research i've seen the following:

-Faulty intake failing causing plastic to get in the motor/causing issues
-Clogged injectors
-bad steering wheel position sensor
-bad code?

I am really upset as I almost wrecked my truck because of this, I take my truck to the dealer for ALL its service(want the record for warranty issues:sad: ), and that it less than 2yrs old and 23k miles on it! Any input would be great. I'm very persistent with this type of stuff and will be demanding a new truck if they don't have a fix!

twotone64
Dec 26th, 10, 2:18 AM
Have a friend of the family that had a similiar issue. His issue is similiar to the rearend of a posi track slipping and locking, the message center states all that stuff, and the engine detunes because of it. I found all the simliar possible causes none of which is bad. There are even sensors in the wheels of some models.

onick
Dec 26th, 10, 2:31 AM
Have a friend of the family that had a similiar issue. His issue is similiar to the rearend of a posi track slipping and locking, the message center states all that stuff, and the engine detunes because of it. I found all the simliar possible causes none of which is bad. There are even sensors in the wheels of some models.

Did he get it fixed?

dukess396
Dec 26th, 10, 2:33 AM
Could be many things. Judging by the number of systems that were effected, I would suspect a poor main power or ground connection. Possibly a damaged communication line in the high or low speed LAN circuits. Should not be a major deal to diagnose, especially since a service message has been set. Any DTCs stored will pretty much point the tech in the direction of the problem.

Chevelle505cid
Dec 26th, 10, 2:36 AM
Have heard of severe vibrations from the front end at speeds above 35mph. Ended up being a misadjusted brake pedal position switch that thought the brakes were being applied when in fact they were not. Correct adjustment of brake pedal position switch resolved the issue.

1970SS396&1967
Dec 26th, 10, 4:14 AM
The radio display went nuts on my 09 siverado the other night.It was cold out when I got off work and a minuite after I watched the radio display start to go crazy and finally black out while the radio was still playing just fine.I thought to myself,what the hell is this,the beginning of a ton of headaches?Truck has less than 5000 miles on it.C'mon Chevy,youv'e been building cars for 100 years and still no reliability.WTF!!!!:mad:

VinnyLSS572
Dec 26th, 10, 10:47 AM
Hey guys, while driving to the relatives house in my 2009 Silverado(crewcab, 4x4, bought new, less that 2 years old, 23K miles) when leaving a stop sign my dash started going crazy, the truck started to buck andthe truck died/lost all power. Scared the hell out of me, super dangerous. The message center than stated something like, traction control off, service stabilitrak, loss of engine power. It wouldn't start. while on the phone with AAA, tried once more and it started, limped home, service light remains on. I am going to drop it at the dealer tomorrow to be looked at Monday. Anyone had similar problems? From doing some research i've seen the following:

-Faulty intake failing causing plastic to get in the motor/causing issues
-Clogged injectors
-bad steering wheel position sensor
-bad code?

I am really upset as I almost wrecked my truck because of this, I take my truck to the dealer for ALL its service(want the record for warranty issues:sad: ), and that it less than 2yrs old and 23k miles on it! Any input would be great. I'm very persistent with this type of stuff and will be demanding a new truck if they don't have a fix!

What you have going on with your truck is an issue with the throttle body,the truck has a fly by wire throttle and when a code sets it goes to reduced power mode to prevent the throttle from opening on its own due to a mechanical or electrical issue.We have replaced at least 20 throttle bodies in the last few weeks with a similar concern.Contact your dealer Monday and tell them the symptoms,they should know what to do.
If you have an issue PM me,I could probably help.If your truck is in reduced power mode cycle the ignition on and off several times and it should clear reduced power mode,if it has a hard failure it will not clear the reduced power mode and the truck should be towed.Chevy roadside number is 1 800 CHEV USA
I am heading down to the dealership now,we have a big snowfall coming our way and I have to get the plows inside and some inventory moved,I will check back later to see if you have any questions.Good Luck

Vinny

BTW,the new throttle body is a redesigned unit with a new part number

onick
Dec 26th, 10, 4:07 PM
What you have going on with your truck is an issue with the throttle body,the truck has a fly by wire throttle and when a code sets it goes to reduced power mode to prevent the throttle from opening on its own due to a mechanical or electrical issue.We have replaced at least 20 throttle bodies in the last few weeks with a similar concern.Contact your dealer Monday and tell them the symptoms,they should know what to do.
If you have an issue PM me,I could probably help.If your truck is in reduced power mode cycle the ignition on and off several times and it should clear reduced power mode,if it has a hard failure it will not clear the reduced power mode and the truck should be towed.Chevy roadside number is 1 800 CHEV USA
I am heading down to the dealership now,we have a big snowfall coming our way and I have to get the plows inside and some inventory moved,I will check back later to see if you have any questions.Good Luck

Vinny

Wow, Thanks Vinny! I dropped it off at the dealer today at the overnight drop. After I talk with them in the AM and they give it a once over, I'll see what they say and post back. I'll mention the throttle body issue if they don't come up with it.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

novaderrik
Dec 26th, 10, 6:57 PM
gotta love the high tech crap they put in new vehicles these days..

onick
Dec 27th, 10, 12:47 PM
UPDATE 12/27/10

Got a call back from the dealer telling me that my truck is ready for pickup. I asked them what they did and said the had a bulletin for cleaning the throttle body and intake. They didn't replace anything. I asked him about the new throttle body Vinny mentioned (new unit, new part #)and he said there was no recall for one, so they didn't replace it. When I asked how it got gummed up in the first place he couldn't give me a good answer. This doesn't seem right to me.

Vinny- what are your thoughts on there response?

Thanks again

dukess396
Dec 27th, 10, 2:25 PM
It sounds like the technician working on your truck performed a repair procedure that GM has outlined in a internal bulletin. I'm aware of this, and have made this repair myself. It requires cleaning the throttle body and performing an idle learn reset. Throttle bodies can become carboned up at lower miles, all based on driving habits, fuel type etc. If indeed the bulletin was used that I suggested, the tech was likely led to it by one of the DTCs stored in your trucks PCM. Its not always possible to get a solid answer from a service writer. Many times, they have little or no auto knowledge, and are only deciphering what the tech put in his notes. Its like asking your doctors secretary to explain whats wrong with you.

Brian 69
Dec 27th, 10, 3:26 PM

Vinny

I agree with Vinny. When I checked with our GM Corporate contact last week, there was just over 12,000 on back order. Just wait until you have a door lock actuator go out on an 09. Last time I checked they were over $400 for the part alone and required you to replace the window motor/track since they were designed all as one piece.

onick
Dec 27th, 10, 3:30 PM
Well, as it stands now they are not giong to replace anything. No recall, no replacement they tell me. Is there any document that is out there I can present to them? I feel like I am sitting on a time bomb :(

Brian 69
Dec 27th, 10, 5:39 PM
Yeah, they won't replace anything until the part truly fails. Alldata doesn't have any TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) on the throttle body at this time. Not really any documents to present to dealer. Unfortunately, you will probably just have to wait until it fails.

onick
Dec 27th, 10, 5:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. Lets just hope it doesn't fail. At least the issue is on record now.

onick
Jan 17th, 11, 3:30 PM
UPDATE 1/17/11
Well, the same thing happened again this last friday as I was leaving work. Got it towed to the dealer, they took a look at it today. Same codes, even after they performed the Service Bulletin. I had mentioned the throttle body issue AGAIN on sat when talking to the service manager. I got a call this AM of him saying that he didn't get the code that would warrant a new throttle body, but given the issue and its timing, he is ordering me a new one. Its on back order, so they will be providing me with a rental for a few days (I had to inquire about the rental) So, hopefully this gets it!

Thanks again guys for your knowledge on this!

andrew5
Jan 17th, 11, 8:30 PM
yes gm has a technical bullitin for cleaning the throttle body.have not seen so much luck doing that.it's just a matter of time before it happens again.normally you can cycle the key,and it clears itself enough to get home.there is no recall for it.the throttle bodies are not on backorder anymore(at least on the east coast)if you bring youre truck to the dealer for all the services and have a good relationship with them.if you go back and talk to the manager,mabey they will whip one in for you.good luck. drew

andrew5
Jan 17th, 11, 8:34 PM
LOL looks like we posted a reply the same exact time(just the east coast to west coast time difference!!) glad it worked out!:hurray:

Trucker1220
Jan 12th, 12, 1:53 PM
I had the same problem and they have replaced the throttle body and it happened again, could it be something else or is it more likely to just of been another bad throttle body?

onick
Jan 12th, 12, 1:56 PM
Sorry for not updating! They put the new throttle body in and I have not had a problem since.

Dave Birdwell
Jan 12th, 12, 10:52 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks for the update!