Barn find/decode A-body 1968 [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Barn find/decode A-body 1968

Rigsby
Nov 3rd, 10, 9:10 PM
Hello Everyone: I am new & I just posted in the new member forum as well. I was told you guys know Chevelle/Malibu's like no one else!! I am green on decoding & I think I might have aquired a interesting Chevelle.

I have never had a Chevelle that seemed worth decoding until now. This one is a number matching 1968 Malibu 2dr 327/4-spd deluxe interior car. I am the third owner & it is in amazing unrestored condition. I plan on restoring it & I am curious how rare it may be...or not. I am used to seeing lot of 307/PG type cars in 1968, but this one is interesting to me for some reason. It retains everything in good working order... even the radio.

I found a sheet in the glove box that appeared to be very old. It has codes on it such as "20" for the trans & "EA" for the motor. It is labeled "Soft Trim Broadcast"... could this be the build sheet??? I did not find one under the back seat.

Next, I pulled the codes/info off the fisher plate on the firewall. here they are:

1st line: O4A 168769 530328
2nd line: ST 68 13637 BF 18613 BODY
3rd line: TR 765 118 NN PAINT

The Vin is: 136378Z142172

The car is Cordovan in color... not sure if this is original or not.

I am curious to learn if this is a rare Chevelle Malibu or not. I do see them much in this configuration. Seems like most of them were 307/auto's. Any feedback is appreciated. Also, if the "soft trim broadcast" sheet I found is not the buildsheet, what is it? Also, if it is not could it be that the build sheet is located somewhere else? Thanks for you help!! rigsby

Ethan1
Nov 3rd, 10, 10:36 PM
Hello Everyone: I am new & I just posted in the new member forum as well. I was told you guys know Chevelle/Malibu's like no one else!! I am green on decoding & I think I might have aquired a interesting Chevelle.

I have never had a Chevelle that seemed worth decoding until now. This one is a number matching 1968 Malibu 2dr 327/4-spd deluxe interior car. I am the third owner & it is in amazing unrestored condition. I plan on restoring it & I am curious how rare it may be...or not. I am used to seeing lot of 307/PG type cars in 1968, but this one is interesting to me for some reason. It retains everything in good working order... even the radio.

I found a sheet in the glove box that appeared to be very old. It has codes on it such as "20" for the trans & "EA" for the motor. It is labeled "Soft Trim Broadcast"... could this be the build sheet??? I did not find one under the back seat.

Next, I pulled the codes/info off the fisher plate on the firewall. here they are:

I am curious to learn if this is a rare Chevelle Malibu or not. I do see them much in this configuration. Seems like most of them were 307/auto's. Any feedback is appreciated. Also, if the "soft trim broadcast" sheet I found is not the buildsheet, what is it? Also, if it is not could it be that the build sheet is located somewhere else? Thanks for you help!! rigsby

VIN:
1- Chevrolet
36- Malibu, 8-Cylinder
37- 2-Door Sport Coupe
8- 1968
Z- Fremont, California (Assembly Plant)
142172- Sequential Production Number

TRIM TAG:
04A- April, 1st Week (Build Date)
168769- Data Processing Number (On block 24 of a Build Sheet)
530328- Data Processing Number
68- 1968
13637- Malibu Sport Coupe
BF- Fremont, California (Assembly Plant)
18613- Fisher Body Data Processing Number
765-118- Buick Alternative Seats (Bench Seat)
^It's actually common to find BOP's seats in this model year Chevelle^
NN- Cordovan Maroon (Upper/Lower Body Color) -- Nice color.:yes:

:thumbsup:

DaleM
Nov 3rd, 10, 10:37 PM

First there's no way to determine how 'rare' a car is by the color or apparent options. GM just didn't keep that kind of data. Being a 4-speed car though, and not an SS396, isn't seen everyday and certainly worth keeping especially if the engine is original to the car and has the correct partial VIN stamped on the engine pad. Should be stamped 8Z142172.

The interior isn't a 'deluxe' interior but rather a Buick interior. There was a Concours OPTION on the Malibu Coupe (RPO ZK7) available in March of 68 that had this upgraded interior plus a few more items. However, Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac interiors have been found in Chevelles from March through June of 68. Lots of theorys as to why, might look at http://chevellestuff.net/1968/chevelle/interiors/alt_int.htm for more on it.

Fremont was the only plant until 1969 that used what's commonly called al build sheet. I have photos of a couple at http://chevellestuff.net/1968/chevelle/bs/bf/bf_bs.htm. They can be found almost anywhere in the interior or on top of the gas tank; wherever an assembly line worker could find to hide it instead of tossing it in the trash when they were done with it.

Here's the two tags broken down...
04A - body assembly date, April (04), 1st week (A)
168769 - data processing number - block 24 of build sheet
530328 - a concatenation of two numbers...
53 - data processing number (SCHED. NO.) - block 10 of build sheet
0328 - another data processing number - block 24 of build sheet
(neither have any real meaning to us today but if a build sheet is found, it'll verify its for this car)

ST 68 13637 - Fisher Body style number with year (68) and Malibu sport coupe (13637)
BF - Letters designation used for Fremont, CA. plant
18613 - Fisher Body unit number

TR 765 118 - Black Imitation Leather-Buick alternative (bench)
NN - Cordovan Maroon lower and upper body color

1 - Chevrolet
36 - V8 Malibu series
37 - 2-dr sport coupe body style
8 - 1968
Z - Fremont, CA.
142172 - Sequence number (beginning with 100001) for all 1968 Chevelles built at Fremont; yours is the 42,172nd 1968 Chevelle built there.

I'd love to have a photo of the tag for my ChevelleStuff.net web site to go with others with BOP interiors.

Ethan1
Nov 3rd, 10, 10:38 PM
Also check this site out: http://chevellestuff.net/1968/bs.htm

Dale is a member on here and he might be interested in a picture of the sheet. :yes:

Tod74
Nov 3rd, 10, 11:21 PM
pics are posted here

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3016008&posted=1#post3016008

DaleM
Nov 3rd, 10, 11:37 PM
Thanks, Todd. Doesn't look like it has the Concours option but definately has the Buick interior. Nice looking ride. :thumbsup:

Rigsby
Nov 4th, 10, 12:25 AM
Ethan, Dale, thanks. That helps me. So it is fair to say that this car is not too common; but no way to know how rare. The fact that it is a 327/4-spd is good enough for me. I will continue to look for the build sheet; but lost some hope today when I pulled the seat. Also learning it is a true Cordovan car means that I will do the re-paint that way too.

I appreciate you guys giving me the help to know this car's history which I think is a vital step in the restoration.

Tod: thanks for posting the pics. I am happy you did so. I am not the best at doing that myself anyways!!

Ethan1
Nov 4th, 10, 2:08 AM
Thanks, Todd. Doesn't look like it has the Concours option but definately has the Buick interior. Nice looking ride. :thumbsup:

x2! Stunning car.:yes::thumbsup:

Lionel-n-Chevelles
Nov 4th, 10, 2:08 AM
Hi Casey,
You have an Outstanding 68 Chevelle. Congratulations on purchasing one interesting Chevelle.

Greg
Nov 4th, 10, 6:42 AM
A numbers matching 1968 Malibu 327 4-spd.

Casey, I think you have a keeper.
A '68 Malibu 327 4-speed sounds very unique.

Plus, seeing as how it's numbers matching, I'd give it a frame off, completely stock restoration, and keep it indefinitely.

Great find.

Regards,
-Greg

68SSFAN
Nov 7th, 10, 1:35 PM
Nice '68 with the 327 4speed!
Interior door panels are standard Chevelle replacements and are not correct for a Buick interior. Easy fix though....e-Bay or Legendary Interiors!
Although this picture is from a Concours and has the longer armrests, here is what the Buick panels should look like:

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/2952225/06b0_3.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:history.go(-1))

Ark68SS
Nov 8th, 10, 3:01 PM
I found a sheet in the glove box that appeared to be very old. It has codes on it such as "20" for the trans & "EA" for the motor. It is labeled "Soft Trim Broadcast"... could this be the build sheet??? I did not find one under the back seat. rigsby

Casey, if you'll post or PM the box numbers and code letters off of your Soft Trim sheet, I can try to decode it for you.
Very nice Chevelle you have there. Looks like a fun car.:thumbsup:
BillL

DougA
Nov 8th, 10, 4:07 PM
What hp. 327?L-79??

d1_bradley
Nov 13th, 10, 10:15 PM
If the engine is an "EA", it would be a 250hp 327 with manual transmission.

Rigsby
Nov 24th, 10, 12:07 AM
Sorry guys... have been busy here lately...

The "soft trim broadcast" sheet I found validates the motor to be an "EA" & the trans is a "M20". There are some other numbers, but I will try to get you guys a pic. Why would there be a soft trim & a build sheet?? Are they not one in the same? confusing...

DaleM
Nov 24th, 10, 1:44 AM
Sorry guys... have been busy here lately...

The "soft trim broadcast" sheet I found validates the motor to be an "EA" & the trans is a "M20". There are some other numbers, but I will try to get you guys a pic. Why would there be a soft trim & a build sheet?? Are they not one in the same? confusing...
Prior to 1969 (1969 was a crossover year), "build sheets" as most are referred to were only found on Fremont, CA. Chevelles. The building paperwork consisted primarily of a Body Broadcast Copy and Chassis Broadcast Copy sheets. I would suspect [this is a theory only] that the quantities of these for each car had a limited number of copies 'broadcast' to various sub stations. If the entire sheet wasn't needed, a "soft trim broadcast" sheet would be used for stations that only needed certain information. Why the engine ID and/or transmission type would be listed on these I can't say unless this might assist in dictating the badging, shifter arrangement, etc. for the trim.

Maybe someone with more research can verify or shoot down my theory.

Rigsby
Nov 26th, 10, 3:41 PM
Thanks for all your help. I have the "soft trim broadcast" in front of me now. I have decoded the obvious ones that I know or are easily defined on the sheet itself I.E; Transmissions (M) "20" I have EA (box80) which is 275/4bbl/3 or 4 spd, CB is 3.36 ratio, box 81 is "118" which reffers to the Buick interior I think, verified partial VIN, & that it is 13637 car. Here is where I get really lost:

box 78: "PA"
box 79: "DA"
box 85: "CF 7"
box 86: "AXR"
box 87: "EY12"

This paper is 5X7" & only partailly completed by the factory/worker. It is still in ok shape, definately looks 42 years old. I am really glad to find it; as it ties the cars options to the car itself & will be a way to prove it is what it is I guess. Ever seen any of those codes above?

Ark68SS
Nov 27th, 10, 7:28 PM
I haven't seen a PA in box 78. 78 is the front carpet, I have seen "AA" and "BA" for black front carpet codes
DA is black rear carpet
CF7 may be "CFT", which is the code for the front seat cushion pad
AXR-could it be "AXK"? I have 3 example of AXK for the rear seat back pad
EY12 is probably EY1Z, which is the code for the rear seat cushion pad.
BillL

Rigsby
Nov 27th, 10, 10:30 PM
Hi Bill,

Here's the thing... this person wrote very legibly... I mean it is nice (almost like females writing). The sheet is in good condition @ the top,but the bottom has a rip which has a small peice missing under the section that says "other"... there is a 5 & then it is missing about a one inch square.

PA on this sheet is clear as a bell on box 78.

CFT is what the sheet does say... my bad, I miss-typed CF7 (box 85).

AKX does look like a possibility for sure... instead of AX"R" like I said. Again my bad...

You are probably right about the EY1Z too... I see where that could be the right code on this sheet.

Box 79 clearly says DA.. still not sure what that one is... but I have decoded many of the importanat ones her thanks to all you guys!!! Thanks!! I know EA & M20 where some of the biggest codes I loved to see on this sheet verifing the trans & motor. The 765 & 118 helps w/ the interior too... just one mystery left on that one. In the trim box it sys 765 D. Not just "756" what do you think the D is??? Thanks again. Casey

SS Chad
Nov 28th, 10, 12:28 AM
Casey,

What sort of restoration are you planning on doing? Based on the pictures in the other thread it looks like you have a pretty nice unrestored car. If it isn't mechanically unstable or if it hasn't already been repainted I would suggest leaving it alone. Remember, it's only original once and the survivors are the most rare of all.

Nice car. :thumbsup: