Nylon Oil Gauge Tubing Kinked [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: Nylon Oil Gauge Tubing Kinked

SHINER
Oct 7th, 10, 10:44 PM
I was routing this nylon tubing and it got bent, and was creased not cracked.

Is it still safe to use the creased area is laying straight and is inside the car under the dash, I was going to tape the area like 2 inches on either side of it with that aluminum duct tape for A/C ducting.

Is this a viable solution I have no other ferrules, has this happened to anyone of you or people you know of?

BillsCamino
Oct 7th, 10, 10:53 PM
Nylon tubing...as in oil pressure gage tubing? :eek:
I wouldn't use that crap...kinked or not. Unless you like hot oil bath treatments.
Copper or braided line only!

SHINER
Oct 7th, 10, 10:55 PM
Where can I get copper or braided to fit the back of my aftermarket sunpro gauge?

twotone64
Oct 8th, 10, 1:43 AM
any auto parts store has the kit, it comes with the ferroules and tubing.

69-CHVL
Oct 8th, 10, 7:21 AM
I know guys do it, but the copper lines scares me more...just too suseptible to kinks and bends. I like the braided stuff too. But, been running the nylon for years and havent had an issue. Just make sure it doesnt contact anything. I actually put some wire loom over it. Will probably go braided at some point.

Andy69
Oct 8th, 10, 7:53 AM
skip the gauge with the tubing and go straight to one that uses input from a block sensor

muncher
Oct 8th, 10, 7:56 AM
If I recall correctly, the fitting at the back of the gauge is for a compression fitting. I used a very short steel tube with a compression fitting on the gauge end and the other end of the tube I used a fitting that converted to NPT - then used a JIC x NPT adapter to use the braided line. A reducing bushing in the block and a NPT x JIC 90 degree elbow to the braided line. Sounds confusing but it's really simple. Take the gauge to a local industrial hydraulics store and they can fix you up.

DONTWANT2
Oct 8th, 10, 8:56 AM
I know guys do it, but the copper lines scares me more...just too suseptible to kinks and bends. I like the braided stuff too. But, been running the nylon for years and havent had an issue. Just make sure it doesnt contact anything. I actually put some wire loom over it. Will probably go braided at some point.
The copper lines will wear through way faster than nylon if the rub on anything. we have hundreds of feet of nylon tube on our readymix trucks, and i bet i havent had to replace 2 peices in 30 years I have even seen nylon rub steel and the steel had more wear than the nylon.

BillsCamino
Oct 8th, 10, 9:42 AM
Over time, the heat from the oil turns the nylon tubing very brittle...like pasta...which then breaks.
Why would you think GM choose to use copper oil pressure line???

Robinls5
Oct 8th, 10, 9:46 AM
I have Sunpro gauges in my 70 Sta. Wgn. I used braided Stainless on both my oil press. ( two 70s ) gauges. A 36" B. Stainless cost $28.00 and it will be the last piece you will buy in your lifetime.
Copper & Nylon may work just fine, You may not have a problem.
Braided Stainless is FOREVER.
Is your engine and & interior worth more than $28.00?
Bob

rkd
Oct 8th, 10, 9:48 AM
For anything more serious than temp use in my cruiser Chevelle, even this poor country boy uses electric senders. The Chevelle came with a cheapo mechanical water temp and oil pressure gage group under the dash, with copper tube, and I have kept them. In the past, I have had an oil pressure line leak, kinda messy at best. I will change these as soon as time and money permit. This may be the reminder I needed...

novaderrik
Oct 8th, 10, 3:32 PM
probably millions of people have put millions of miles on the nylon tubing that comes with gauges without any problems.
is it ideal? probably not.
but it works as long as it is properly installed and kept from kinking and rubbing on metal.

Schurkey
Oct 8th, 10, 3:40 PM
I was routing this nylon tubing and it got bent, and was creased not cracked.
Creased = damaged. It's done. Buy new tubing.

I have no other ferrules
Any hardware store or home-improvement center has ferrules. Worst possible case is you buy entire fitting to get ferrules. Best case is you buy 3--5--10 ferrules pre-packaged in a plastic bag.

Dave Birdwell
Oct 8th, 10, 5:34 PM
Creased = damaged. It's done. Buy new tubing.

Any hardware store or home-improvement center has ferrules. Worst possible case is you buy entire fitting to get ferrules. Best case is you buy 3--5--10 ferrules pre-packaged in a plastic bag.

Same dang thing we told you in chat last night... I guess you didn't believe us.... :sad:

The Old Reliable
Oct 8th, 10, 5:42 PM
I used braided Stainless on both my oil press. ( two 70s ) gauges.

A 36" B. Stainless cost $28.00 and it will
be the last piece you will buy in your lifetime.

Source? TIA! :thumbsup:

317millhand
Oct 8th, 10, 10:09 PM
I just had a nasty engine fire due to nylon tubing. Was my first and last experience with it. Sprang a leak, sprayed on the header,and caught fire quick. Luckily it was put out quick because the engine was being broke in and watched. We tend to go overboard buying stuff that our cars dont really need, but you can be damn sure that this little tube is worth the extra money to upgrade.

70-SS454
Oct 8th, 10, 10:27 PM
Buy the copper line....or better yet, keep that hot oil outta your passenger compartment with an electronic gauge...

Chevycollecter
Oct 8th, 10, 10:38 PM
You said it Frank. Junk that mechanical gauge and buy an electrical one. No fire worries. It's the only type I use.

rwin1592
Oct 9th, 10, 12:31 AM
You'll get a kick out of this...just finished installing my fresh motor, hood still off...did the 30 minute run at 2,000 rpm for cam break in. Figured I'd take it for a very short ride up the street and back. Forgot about the fact that I had removed the oil gauge from under the dash and laid it in the engine bay to keep a eye on it during the break in. Drove off up the street when smoke started pouring out of the engine bay. The gage had fallen off the spring tower, nylon line draped over the exhaust header and the rest is history! No serious damage but oil all over the header and inner fender. Scared the heck out of me for a minute or two. Immediately went to an electric gauge!

Philip
Oct 9th, 10, 1:08 AM
Nascar uses electric gauges and they spend more on an engine than most of us spend on the whole car. The gauges in my Nova are all electric and I will never go back to mechanical.

SHINER
Oct 9th, 10, 9:01 AM
Changed the whole thing out with new nylon tubing, it is routed to the oil filter plug location, and well away from any hot surface, cost me 3 bucks as opposed to 23 bucks for the copper.

SHINER
Oct 9th, 10, 9:02 AM
In my opinion you cant get more accurate than mechanical gauges, my temp gauge on my factory cluster says its 215-220 degrees when my mechanical says 190

69-CHVL
Oct 9th, 10, 9:03 AM
Keep some extra nylon and a fitting in the trunk...you never know!!!!!

swcash
Oct 9th, 10, 11:22 AM
The copper tubing has it's drawbacks also. One bump up against a live wire and you have a nice hole burned through it. In the older cars the ammeter and the cigarette lighter were always the things that would get the copper line.
Squido

BillyGman
Oct 9th, 10, 2:49 PM
In my opinion you cant get more accurate than mechanical gauges, my temp gauge on my factory cluster says its 215-220 degrees when my mechanical says 190 And do you have coolant running through a copper or nylon line up to a water temp gage right in your interior too? Ofcourse not. The guys on here who have suggested "electric" gages are talking about oil pressure gages that have electronic sending units which do NOT require a line with oil running through it to be fed directly into the gage itself. There is no longer any need to use fuel pressure gages nor oil pressure gages that require gas and oil to be piped into the interior of your car nor even a water/alcohol mixture to be going directly into the gage itself, because you now can get both fuel pressure gages and oil pressure gages that use electronic sending units that merely have an electrical wire that goes to the gage instead of a tube with liquids running though it. That's old hat and no longer needed. But you have to use a compatible gage.

They work just like your water temp sending unit and gage does, with merely a wire going from the sender to the gage. If that's how you gage your water temps, then why not do it the same way with fuel and oil pressure? It only makes sense.;)

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/2242/10002/-1

SHINER
Oct 9th, 10, 4:04 PM
I have had 4 different heavily modified LSx platform cars so I know the difference. They have omni gauges now that just plug into your OBD port that will tell you more information about the car than you need to know.

I'm stating that mechanical gauges will always be more reliable IMO. It's straight to the source and has no chance of interference

BillyGman
Oct 9th, 10, 4:05 PM
...and the same goes for fuel pressure gages. Pictured here below is an electrical one (comes with an electronic fuel pressure sender that does NOT require any fuel nor liquid of any kind to run through a tube to the gage itself....) and it comes with an electrical wire with one end that plugs into the fuel pressure sender, and the other end of the wire plugs directly into the gage itself....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-6161/

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/atm-6161_w.jpg

BillyGman
Oct 9th, 10, 4:09 PM
I have had 4 different heavily modified LSx platform cars so I know the difference. They have omni gauges now that just plug into your OBD port that will tell you more information about the car than you need to know.

I'm stating that mechanical gauges will always be more reliable IMO. It's straight to the source and has no chance of interference But even if you don't have a computer, nor a OBD II port, you can still use the old school looking analog gages with the dial sweep faces that use the electrical sending units. But hey, if you still want to have oil, and water/alcohol mixtures running into the interior of your car to feed the gages, OK. Suit yourself. Good luck with your build. ;)

Dakenzie1
Oct 9th, 10, 4:47 PM
probably millions of people have put millions of miles on the nylon tubing that comes with gauges without any problems.
is it ideal? probably not.
but it works as long as it is properly installed and kept from kinking and rubbing on metal.

Yeah! And I was one of those people. Right up untill the time my right foot took a shower in hot engine oil and the carpet was was soaked. The nylon line had split open a few inches away from the guage. No kinks, no rubbing, just 1 yr old nylon tubing that came with a new set of S/W guages.

Summit braided stainless steel line kit for pressure guages SUM-G2960 3' kit with fittings and ends installed for $24.95

Much cheaper than the tennis shoes and carpet cleaning.:D

The Old Reliable
Oct 9th, 10, 7:24 PM
Source for the stainless steel braded lines?

TIA! :thumbsup:

Let us all know when you find out!! -- :beers:

The Old Reliable
Oct 9th, 10, 7:27 PM
[QUOTE=Dakenzie1;2992258]

Summit braided stainless steel line kit
for pressure guages SUM-G2960 3' kit
with fittings and ends installed for $24.95

/QUOTE]

There you go, dude! -- :thumbsup:

The Old Reliable
Oct 9th, 10, 7:30 PM
[QUOTE=Dakenzie1;2992258]

Summit braided stainless steel line kit
for pressure guages SUM-G2960 3' kit
with fittings and ends installed for $24.95

/QUOTE]

There you go, dude! -- :thumbsup:

Thanks! :hurray:

Ordering some tonight! :yes:

317millhand
Oct 9th, 10, 9:50 PM
Changed the whole thing out with new nylon tubing, it is routed to the oil filter plug location, and well away from any hot surface, cost me 3 bucks as opposed to 23 bucks for the copper.

Id look for a new parts store if they priced you 23 bucks. http://www.anrdoezrs.net/image-3497329-10720525http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Copper-Tubing-Installation-Kit-for-Pressure-gauges-Actron_9030174-P_N3340B_P%7CGRP2032 (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-3497329-10720525?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.advanceautoparts.co m%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2Fproduct_Copp er-Tubing-Installation-Kit-for-Pressure-gauges-Actron_9030174-P_N3340B_P%257CGRP2032)____

Im going for the braided line myself. The price is much less than the fire extinguisher that I used on my fire, the burnt header, plug wire, clutch fork boot, and hei plug that I had to replace. Why risk it? Electric is by far the safest, but if you have factory gauges that you want to keep then get a safe setup. Nylon oil pressure gauge tubing is not allowed on most drag strips for a reason. At first you asked about putting tape over the bad part. That question alone tells me that you need to take advice from others that are offering it to you free of charge.

BTW, I was only using the nylon on a gauge that was mounted outside the car while breaking the engine in. I would never use this stuff inside the car and will never again us it on my test stand gauges.

DaleM
Oct 9th, 10, 9:59 PM
People have had good and bad luck with both copper and nylon and probably electric vs. mechanical as well. 1966 used a copper line where 1967 and up used a nylon line for mech oil pressure. Nylon is the only replacement listed in their parts book of the era as well.

Personally I've never had a nylon oil line go bad and I ran one in my 67 SS396 for 17 years - have another in my current 67 El Camino, 9 years and no sign of problems. Naturally if you run the tubing too close to a heat source like headers or near moving parts there's a greater risk of something going wrong.

Mechanical water temp uses a bourdon tube with an easily vaporized fluid, typically alcohol. I particularly like a mech temp as it shows the water temp even with the engine turned off. On the down side, if the tube breaks the gauge is worthless. :yes: