180* Fan temp switch..Anyone know where to find one? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 180* Fan temp switch..Anyone know where to find one?

ShouldntBeHere
Oct 4th, 10, 11:18 PM
I ordered a Spal 185* on/165* off temp switch that screws into the radiator...WELL, the POS activates at 190* and off at 175* so its not what I am looking for...

Anyone have any idea where to get a GOOD 180* on / 170*ish off temp switch that is the standard 3/8" NPT...?

I'm searching the usual places(jegs/summit etc) and not finding much...only some no name cheapies... :sad:

I want this thing to run no warmer then 180*.... This lincoln MK8 fan will cool it down to the 160* stat no problem but it needs to be activated correctly.

I found this switch but I am leary about it since its a no name...maybe its worth a try but....
http://www.partzfinder.com/180_degree_Temperature_Control_Sensor_Switch_p/thg-zfswf.htm

Southern72
Oct 4th, 10, 11:29 PM
http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/16730/10002/-1?parentProductId=758411

ShouldntBeHere
Oct 4th, 10, 11:36 PM
http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/16730/10002/-1?parentProductId=758411

Thanks for the quick work! I did see that one also while searching. I actually need a single pole/spade switch that is self grounding...Not one that is either dual fan(although that would probably work) or just a continuity switch(2 spades that complete a circuit when hot enough)....

I need one that just goes to ground once the target temp is reached. The Spal switches do this but they are too hot to start with and even then activate 5* higher then rated...:sad:

Im still looking...

Southern72
Oct 4th, 10, 11:46 PM
Seems for a 180 stat most kits use a 185 on 170 off. here is a single spade self grounding but as i mentioned 185 on.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&N=0&Ntk=all&Jnar=0&Ne=1%2B2%2B3%2B13%2B1147708&searchTerm=555-10562

Southern72
Oct 4th, 10, 11:49 PM
I would buy one of the 30 dllr adjustable jobbies and dial it in to turn on and off wherever you want.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/31147/10002/-1

ShouldntBeHere
Oct 5th, 10, 12:02 AM
I would buy one of the 30 dllr adjustable jobbies and dial it in to turn on and off wherever you want.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/31147/10002/-1

Looks like the Derale switch you linked first may work...I looked it up on their website and it is self grounding, it just has 2 spades for dual fans. Its the only one I have found with a 180* on temp..... I may give it a shot.... I really want to keep this thing at 180* or less...

Thanks for your efforts!! I will hunt around some more in the morning and if I don't find anything I will try out the Derale switch....I just hate to keep dumping $30 each on these switches until I find one that works....

VORTECPRO
Oct 5th, 10, 12:09 AM
I ordered a Spal 185* on/165* off temp switch that screws into the radiator...WELL, the POS activates at 190* and off at 175* so its not what I am looking for...

Anyone have any idea where to get a GOOD 180* on / 170*ish off temp switch that is the standard 3/8" NPT...?

I'm searching the usual places(jegs/summit etc) and not finding much...only some no name cheapies... :sad:

I want this thing to run no warmer then 180*.... This lincoln MK8 fan will cool it down to the 160* stat no problem but it needs to be activated correctly.

I found this switch but I am leary about it since its a no name...maybe its worth a try but....
http://www.partzfinder.com/180_degree_Temperature_Control_Sensor_Switch_p/thg-zfswf.htmYou will find the switch your looking for, is an on and off switch.

68malibubbc
Oct 5th, 10, 1:01 AM
Is your switch on the inlet or outlet tank? If it's on the outlet side, I would expect the temp range to shift up and narrow like you're seeing.

ShouldntBeHere
Oct 5th, 10, 8:57 AM
Is your switch on the inlet or outlet tank? If it's on the outlet side, I would expect the temp range to shift up and narrow like you're seeing.

The switch is on the left(driver side) tank...just under the upper radiator hose inlet. I didn't think about the sensor location varying the temps....hmmmm

I would still think since it's on the inlet (hot side) of the radiator would work accurately.

badss540
Oct 5th, 10, 9:30 AM
Let us know how it works out.

65 Imp SS
Oct 5th, 10, 10:29 AM
Have you checked Zirgo?
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/zirgo/product.lasso?prodinc=tempswitches

ShouldntBeHere
Oct 5th, 10, 11:09 AM
You know I DID see the Zirgo 180* switch...I kind of questioned it's quality as I have never heard of that brand of anything but....Summit sells them, it may be the best bet. I wouldn't mind one of those adjustable dealies I could set if right where I want it but those all have the probe thing...I want to use the type that puts the sensor in the coolant, not the fins.

I may just roll the dice on the zirgo. I will let this thread run until this afternoon and see if anyone else posts up ideas, if not then I'll try the Zirgo and hope it's accurate..

Thanks bro..:beers:

65 Imp SS
Oct 5th, 10, 4:11 PM
I have heard of Zirgo but never actually used them. Could google and see what others think. I myself have a maradyne which is a 185 deg one. Had thought about trying something lower like the zirgo but really have not had any issues for me to try it.

Scotch
Oct 5th, 10, 4:22 PM
How about an adjustable switch, so you can put it where you want it?

I got mine from Flex-A-Lite- works great!

Amazon.com: Flex-a-lite 31147 Adjustable Temperature Control Unit: Automotive

69XF
Oct 5th, 10, 4:24 PM
CARUEST or Standard ignition parts seller TS87 screws into any edlebrock etc. intake. :)

onebad82z
Oct 5th, 10, 4:59 PM
CARUEST or Standard ignition parts seller TS87 screws into any edlebrock etc. intake. :)

Is this a 180?

Gonna subscribe here and wait for your experiences Alan. Needing a similar switch for when I rewire my fans this winter to become automatic. Getting tired of forgetting to tun the switches on and seeing 210*!

69XF
Oct 5th, 10, 5:56 PM
Yep... I got one in my motor.

davis95
Oct 5th, 10, 6:29 PM
I have the Derale switch on my setup and it has an adjustable temp control.

68malibubbc
Oct 5th, 10, 6:31 PM
I would still think since it's on the inlet (hot side) of the radiator would work accurately.

Agreed.

Btw - I have a hunch most of these temp switches come from the same factory. I also kinda doubt they're supposed to be really accurate. Most of time, if you can actually find the on/off temps listed, they give a single number for each. Then you'll find some places give you ranges for on, and a range for the off, instead of specific temps.

Napaonline.com lists decent info/pics if you search for coolant fan switch.

ShouldntBeHere
Oct 5th, 10, 6:46 PM
Thanks guys! I rolled the dice on the Zirgo 180* fixed temp switch. $41 shipped. I report back here once I get it and see how it works...

Hopefully it is 180* or no more then 185*...

WHT/73
Oct 5th, 10, 11:21 PM
Do you have the spal fan controller?
If so you can use your water temp sending unit. Thats what I did and it works perfect. :thumbsup:

That controller is great, only runs as fast as is needed.

struggler
Oct 6th, 10, 6:33 PM
I would have moved the switch you already have to a position below the thermostat in the intake manifold.

Where is the temp guage sender ?

SS_Sean
Oct 6th, 10, 6:36 PM
I'll give you one. PM me.

ShouldntBeHere
Oct 6th, 10, 6:52 PM
I'll give you one. PM me.

DAMN.....I wish I could have gotten with you yesterday..... I already ordered one from Zirgo for $42...

BUT I REALLY appreciate the offer!:beers: If the one I get doesn't work the way I want it, I will hit you up to try yours.... Was it pretty close to 180* actual when it tripped?

SS_Sean
Oct 6th, 10, 7:02 PM
SPAL fan unit 180* on the nose...but...you've already got one now. ;)

ShouldntBeHere
Oct 11th, 10, 10:54 AM
Well...no luck with the Zirgo switch. It is a "180*" switch yet activates at 186* and off at 178*. So the hunt continues.

SS-Sean, check your PMs. Thx.
:sad:

The Old Reliable
Oct 11th, 10, 11:32 AM
Anyone have any idea where to get a GOOD
180* on / 170*ish off temp switch

http://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/32137/DAKOTA_DIGITAL_DIGITAL_CONTROLLER_FOR_ELECTRIC_FAN .html

camaroman7d
Oct 11th, 10, 11:53 AM
Just go this route and be done with it. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSI-1225/ You will be able to adjust the on off to whatever you want. Yes it screws into the radiator as well. Most of your issue if that your sending unit for your gauge is not in the same place as the temp sensor for the fan. With the $42 you spent for the Zirgo switch you were 1/3 of the way to getting something you know will work. I have the CSR unit myself and it is nice and simple. Edit: Here is even a better deal http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-6337/ I don't see the button on the Autometer to set the temp so you might want to double check that it's not just a digitial temp gauge.

The best non adjustable thermo switch I ever saw/used was one that you epoxied on to the radiator tank is was about as big around as a nickel. It was dead realiable and consistant. I bought it at a swap meet from a vendor and have never been able to find another one nor who made it. It was all metal construction.

blumont
Oct 11th, 10, 12:07 PM
Alan when you first started this thread I was looking for a better way of controlling my electric fans. Thanks for bringing this up !! :thumbsup:
I was able to get a Painless Wiring switch locally that was 185 on and 170 off. I installed it this weekend in the intake right beside my temperature sending unit. The on/off cycle was pretty darn close to rated temps. With my aluminum rad and 2 small electric fans the coolant is not at 185 very long. As soon as the fans turn on the temp drops and it ends up running below 180 degrees.
When I am cruising at 40-50 mph plus my fans just never turn on, of course at this time of the year here the outside temp is not considered hot.
I guess what I am getting at even with 185 on, your engine should not be at that temp very long before the fan brings it down to acceptable levels?

ShouldntBeHere
Oct 11th, 10, 12:12 PM
BTW, my thermostat is a 160* Stewart Warner race stat and my mechanical temp gauge reads exactly at 160* when I manually control my fan and leave it on long enough to cool it down to stat temp. I have my mechanical gauge sending probe in the intake right by the stat housing and my temp switch for the fan is in the radiator tank RIGHT below the hose inlet. I couldn't see that much difference in temps from those two places. Only a foot and a half of hose separates the two sensors. If anything the fan switch would trip on sooner I would think...

ShouldntBeHere
Oct 11th, 10, 4:46 PM
Alan when you first started this thread I was looking for a better way of controlling my electric fans. Thanks for bringing this up !! :thumbsup:
I was able to get a Painless Wiring switch locally that was 185 on and 170 off. I installed it this weekend in the intake right beside my temperature sending unit. The on/off cycle was pretty darn close to rated temps. With my aluminum rad and 2 small electric fans the coolant is not at 185 very long. As soon as the fans turn on the temp drops and it ends up running below 180 degrees.
When I am cruising at 40-50 mph plus my fans just never turn on, of course at this time of the year here the outside temp is not considered hot.
I guess what I am getting at even with 185 on, your engine should not be at that temp very long before the fan brings it down to acceptable levels?

Hi Jerry, you are absolutely right. The new Zirgo switch triggers the fan about 186-187* and within 2 mins it's down to 180*... Once it cools to about 177-178* the fan turns off.

This is pretty close for what I wanted but....I really wanted the fan on right at 180* and off around 170-175*. This way the temps constantly cycle between 170-180*. I really just never wanted it to run over 180*....even at speed my fan will have to run some. If I can run about 60mph the temp will stay about 175* with no fan but anything 50mph or less will have it at 180-185* and the fan cycling. No grill and a laid back radiator is the cause of this...(ie. Bottom feeder)

I may just leave it alone since I can't find a true 180* switch and all the adjustable jobbies require more wiring/relays as they are not self grounding/ground trigger.

I would just feel a lot better looking down at the temp gauge locked on 180* then cycling back and forth at 185*...

SS_Sean
Oct 11th, 10, 10:50 PM
I replied back to you....I'd be happy to send it to you anyway. Just let me know.

87caprice
Oct 12th, 10, 8:38 AM
Well im looking for the same little switch. The switch i got from jegs somehow went out/stopped working after a couple of months. Im tired of having my fans come on whenever the car is on. After reading this post i was thinking of buying the Zirgo switch. But willhave to wait until Friday when i get paid.
@ss sean
What kind of switch do you have for sale. I'll buy one from you if the OP doesnt want it since we are both looking for the same exact thing.

badbehavior
Oct 19th, 10, 5:46 PM
ShouldntBeHere
Tech Team
Have similar interest in this thread and have been following posts. MY question, Why so anal about Exactly 180!!

Heckeng
Oct 19th, 10, 6:37 PM
I agree on the last question. The temperature changes so much depending on where you measure it at, it is kind of impossible.

ShouldntBeHere
Oct 19th, 10, 7:37 PM
I agree on the last question. The temperature changes so much depending on where you measure it at, it is kind of impossible.

I am measuring temps in the intake manifold with my mechanical gauge. I really wanted this thing to stay 180* and cooler at all times. Its a 10-1 comp, iron head motor in a very tight cock pit with horrible air flow and air conditioning....I live in Houston and this thing sees traffic on every drive.....Basically its a recipe for detonation....THAT is why I want to keep it at 180* or less...

Now after some miles with the Zirgo 180* temp switch in the radiator tank, it triggers the fan to come on about 186-187* and turns it off at 178*..... When it comes on it, it only takes a minute or two to pull the temps from 187 down to 180* or so.....Not bad but...I still would rather not have it go over 180* but.....it looks like this is just how its gonna be...I am not wiring up anything else or going to some other BS adjustable probe deals......This is very reliable and consistant, just a little warmer then what I want. It is what it is though....

I can pull the manual switch and let the fan run and it will cool it down to 165* or so pretty easy...and when the AC compressor is on, the fan is on. It actually runs cooler with the AC on then without because of the continuous fan usage.