butt joint exhaust band clamps [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: butt joint exhaust band clamps

greg_moreira
Sep 27th, 10, 11:16 PM
have you guys had good luck with these? I can see the lap joint clamp working real well where the pipes can slide into each other first....but the butt joint concerns me. Just seems like there would be the possibility of the pipes pulling apart.

Im building a system, and most of it will use the slip fit connections and lap bands to tie them together....but one of my connections "may" use the same OD pipes, requiring the butt joint if i dont figure something different out.

Thanks!

CDN SS
Sep 27th, 10, 11:26 PM
have you guys had good luck with these? I can see the lap joint clamp working real well where the pipes can slide into each other first....but the butt joint concerns me. Just seems like there would be the possibility of the pipes pulling apart.

Im building a system, and most of it will use the slip fit connections and lap bands to tie them together....but one of my connections "may" use the same OD pipes, requiring the butt joint if i dont figure something different out.

Thanks!

I have been using a 3" butt joint band clamp for 4 years .......no leaks no problem at all .......I connect my header collector to my 3"exhaust pipes with the band clamp

3pedals
Sep 27th, 10, 11:28 PM
I've done it, and it worked fine, but the rest of my exhaust was located very well. I used a peice of tin foil at the clamp to seal it up

forcd ind
Sep 28th, 10, 12:19 AM
i used one to join the H pipe, worked great

BillyGman
Sep 28th, 10, 2:12 AM
I plan on using the walker stainless steel butt joint exhaust clamps soon, (nice tip on the tin foil trick, thanks :thumbsup: ) but if you're bent on obtaining a slip fit so that you can use the other type of exhaust clamps instead, and you have an air compressor and a decent impact gun at home, then you can buy one of those pipe expander tools to bull-nose one of the ends so that it will be a slip fit (probably not something you would want to do without safety glasses BTW). ;)

Stikman33
Sep 28th, 10, 2:53 AM
I use the lap band clamps on my exhaust, and am very happy with them.

Schurkey
Sep 28th, 10, 3:40 AM
I installed butt-joint band clamps on my Flowmaster system about fifteen years ago. Maybe more.

Yeah, I had to pull the pipes back into position last year. The tailpipes had rotated somewhat; and the H-pipe had pulled apart a little.

An impact wrench is a definite assist. Rattle 'em tight!

Camaro_fever68
Sep 28th, 10, 4:52 AM
Been using them for over 20yrs on diesel tractor rigs without problems. Never tried on my car exhaust as everything I ran, I mig welded butt to butt except the collectors.

greg_moreira
Sep 28th, 10, 9:55 AM
good enough for me guys, thanks!

cwilks
Sep 28th, 10, 5:16 PM
I plan on using the walker stainless steel butt joint exhaust clamps soon, (nice tip on the tin foil trick, thanks :thumbsup: ) but if you're bent on obtaining a slip fit so that you can use the other type of exhaust clamps instead, and you have an air compressor and a decent impact gun at home, then you can buy one of those pipe expander tools to bull-nose one of the ends so that it will be a slip fit (probably not something you would want to do without safety glasses BTW). ;)

that wont work Billy....you'll never get the pipe opened enough without breakin that expander....you could take the pipe to a muffler shop and have it expanded....I'd just use the band clamps

greg_moreira
Sep 28th, 10, 6:15 PM
yeah im not married to the slip fit pipe and lap band connections. Before this thread, I thought it might be possible that slip fitting and the lap joint band connector would be a better way to go.....but with everybody saying they have perfectly good luck with butting the pipes and using the butt joint band connector.....Im not gonna sweat it at all.

At this point....I just have some measurements to make tonight and then I'll order up whatever piping seems like its going to be the most convenient to get the lenght and "style" I need without worrying which of the two types of clamps i end up needing cause it seems as if either is fine.

BillyGman
Sep 28th, 10, 8:51 PM
that wont work Billy....you'll never get the pipe opened enough without breakin that expander....you could take the pipe to a muffler shop and have it expanded....I'd just use the band clamps Really? But isn't that exactly what those pipe expanders are supposed to be for? Are you saying that they're just a sales pitch, and that they don't work at all? I never used one, so that's why I ask. I noticed that some of them come in kits that are about $100. Is it a rip off?

Raven1
Sep 28th, 10, 9:19 PM
I used band clamps and these, no problems: http://corsiautomotive.com/purchaseourhookups.html Also available for collectors, called eliminators.

BigRed-L72
Sep 28th, 10, 9:26 PM
They work just fine, I use the Permatex (red) Hi-Temp silicon to help seal.