Team Chevelle banner

Basic ignition wiring

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mjk11 
#1 ·
I have just finished put my engine back together and am finally ready to break the motor in, but I have one problem, getting a simple ignition wired just for the break-in before I install the column and all that fun stuff.

Here is what I am trying to do. I have a simple four post key switch. Battery post, acc post, ignition post and the main post for the starter. I hooked the pos cable to the starter, ran a line from the starter to the switch (with a fuse in the middle) a cable from the switch to the battery and ran a wire from the ignition post to the dist (hei). What did I do wrong? There are two different small post's on the starter, does it matter which one I use?

Any help would be great. Like I said, I am trying to use a basic ignition to do the break-in. Once I get this accomplished, I will wire it with the harness.

Thanks again to all that help!

Oh yeah, I did do a search on this and found nothing!

Mike

#3 ·
Dean,
It is for a 69 Malibu. It is a mildly built 350. I am assuming I have the wires correct? If so, what might cause the starter to spin? Other thing that I might have to correct is the negative wire. I have it grounded against the frame rail, but it is painted and may not be metal to metal. Could this cause a problem if it is bolted to a painted surface?

Also, I am correct with running a wire from the MSD distributor to the ignition post on the key switch? Why does the distributor say that the wire should run to the battery? I am talking about the connecter that has a tach connector next to it.

Thanks again.

Mike

#4 ·
Relocate the battery ground to the engine. Factory location was a self-tapping bolt with star washer on the upper alternator bracket. A more reliable ground is a threaded stud on the passenger side of the water pump, again with a star washer.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I will definitly change the ground this eve when i get home from work.

As for the starter not spinning, I mean that the juice doesnt even get to it to make it do anything. It is a new starter, so I am assuming it has to do with my wiring!

Yeah, the MSD does say that it goes to the battery, but I don't understand why. Wouldn't that be a constant source of juice to the distributor and possibly drain the battery?

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.