What are these heads worth? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: What are these heads worth?

forever young
Jul 8th, 10, 10:47 AM
I have a matched set of 1973 BB open chambered 113cc heads, 353049. They are oval port bare castings, what would they be worth if I finished them and wanted to sell them. I am not sure whether I want to do the pressure test and re-surface if they are not worth it.
Thanks,
Roland

Mr69
Jul 9th, 10, 2:17 AM
A pressure test and surfacing is probably not even needed. Unless they have been hot.

I have a pair of 049 bare cores for $250. That should give you an idea.
Ironically I was just at the machine shop today and mentioned them to the owner and asked what they are worth, in his opinion, and when I said $250? he said "minimum".
You might get $150 each to the right guy.
They are 1973 ONLY and purportedly the best flowing oval port cast iron head GM made. 781 is right there with them.

I rebuilt cyl heads for 8 years and all this pressre testing BS is just that. BS. I don't think I pressure tested 1 in 1000 cast iron heads. It's just not a common practice. On the rare occasion you suspect a problem and you can't figure it out or find it with the naked eye, then maybe a pressure test is necessary. But I can tell you that a true pressure test where all of the ports are sealed off and regulated air is applied to the water jacket is a very time consuming procedure.

Disassemble, hot tank and magnaflux and go from there. If there are signs of overheating or hot cylinders, then look for cracks in those cylinders. But as far as pressure testing. Prob not needed 99.9% of the time.
I am so good at spotting cracks in heads that I can find them with the naked eye. That doesn't mean that I don't magnaflux them, but often times I'll find a crack and determine a head to be junk before even wasting any time getting out the mag and powder.

Here's a tip for the poormans crack check. Degrease the head and wash it down with water. Blow it about 3/4 dry and then look for water leaching out from a crack. Often times I found cracks while blowing the head dry while still in the Jet washer rack.
In the machine shop business, time is money. Once a crack is spotted, spend no more time on that head. Put it to the side and move on to the next job.

Tod74
Jul 9th, 10, 2:57 AM
I don't know about the 73 only etc so I am not disputing that.

But I do know 781 heads can be found pretty easy for $100-$150 per set bare. Last set I bought I paid $75 for the pair. They had valves but no springs,retainers, etc

JMO

69 Post Sedan
Jul 9th, 10, 9:27 AM
Usually a complete set of 781/049 heads in my area sell for about $150. That's without them being checked. Most of the time BB heads are rock solid and don't crack.

If I do have them checked I have them pressure tested. The main reason is because this is how my local machine shop inspects them.

Kurt :thumbsup:

forever young
Jul 9th, 10, 12:46 PM
Interesting commentary, I had a set of heads checked recently at the machine shop and under 7 lbs. pressure some leaching or leakage was noted on 3 valve castings behind the valve / seat. This is what I thought was a standard practice with heads, the pressure test. It costs about $60.00 a head, so that's why I inquired about what these heads may be worth.

Thanks

Mike
Jul 9th, 10, 12:50 PM
They are 1973 ONLY and purportedly the best flowing oval port cast iron head GM made.

About that 1973 ONLY
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324530

Look's like they were around until '84 - recheck the casting date.

Mr69
Jul 10th, 10, 5:51 AM
About that
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324530

Look's like they were around until '84 - recheck the casting date.

casting 353049 is 1973 only on pass vehicles and trucks.

The 454 head that came after the 353049 was the 336781 in 1974.

I suppose it is possible to find a 353049 dated after 1973 sold over the counter, but you won't find one as original equipment on any 1974-up pass vehicle.
Maybe on a motorhome???
Here's a pair dated 1978. Have to be over the counter or something other than pass car or truck. This guy says Chevelle Camaro Nova Corvette, but not on any of those in 1978.:noway:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BBC-CYLINDER-HEADS-GM-CHEVY-353049-FRESH-454-427-396-/150465260467?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23086dabb3

I should also point out that what you guys are leaving out of the equation is the machine shop costs to disassemble, hot tank and magnaflux.
Maybe the going rate for a pair of 353049 heads is $200, but that's filthy dirty and no guarantee they are not cracked.
What do you think it costs to have the machine shop check them out. Do you think it's free? Wrong. Try $40-50

I never had a problem selling guaranteed good SB head cores for $75 each min and $125 each for any BB head.

I had one guy that insisted he could find his own pair of 350 heads at the wrecking yard. It took him 6 trips and 6 pairs of heads before he found a good pair. The first 5 pairs he brought me were cracked.
Then the $75 each sounded pretty darn good :yes:

MEJ1990TM
Jul 10th, 10, 7:41 AM
If I remember right it did cost about $40 to have my heads jet washed and magged. That was back when I was trying to nail down this smoking issue.

FRYNTYR
Jul 10th, 10, 11:22 AM
$100 a pair all day long, nomore than $150, but make sure you make some kind of deal on if they are cracked when magged.

If they have any false seats in the exhaust, worth less, as you don't know how the quality of the machine work was. I preffer virgin castings and try to refrain from buying any that have been rebuilt already.

I've had the 049's off engines up into the 81-82 year range. Mostly 781's in the later 70's and that 81-82 range but they did make then for many years.

Mr69
Jul 10th, 10, 3:01 PM
$100 a pair all day long, nomore than $150, but make sure you make some kind of deal on if they are cracked when magged.

If they have any false seats in the exhaust, worth less, as you don't know how the quality of the machine work was. I preffer virgin castings and try to refrain from buying any that have been rebuilt already.

I've had the 049's off engines up into the 81-82 year range. Mostly 781's in the later 70's and that 81-82 range but they did make then for many years.

no more than $150???? are you on crack?

Yeah most guys that are putting in the hard seats are doing it in their back yards with a sledge hammer pry bar and plasma cutter. wtf are you on crack?
worth less??? are you stupid?

NO 353049 in pass vehicles after 1973 period.
If you think so then prove it.

Tod74
Jul 10th, 10, 6:10 PM
no more than $150???? are you on crack?

Yeah most guys that are putting in the hard seats are doing it in their back yards with a sledge hammer pry bar and plasma cutter. wtf are you on crack?
worth less??? are you stupid?

NO 353049 in pass vehicles after 1973 period.
If you think so then prove it.

Don't know about 049 but 781 heads are easy to find and cheap.

Why would someone pay $150 each for a core big block head?(as you stated in another post...)That,in my opinion, would be stupid.You start out at $300 bucks for a set of castings with small valves. By the time you buy new valves and have the larger valves installed properly you very quickly get up in the price range of some aftermarket heads. JMO

But at any rate, anyone in the market for some stock heads, think of this.If those heads are worth $250 -$300 for the pair complete. A better option might be to look for a complete 454 from a truck.They are pretty easy to find complete in the $400-$450 range around here.. Most all of them are going to have 781 heads and if they are late 70's they will have hard exhaust seats already. Buy the motor keep the heads and sell the shortblock. You end up with a dirt cheap set of good heads.Plus the chances of getting a set of unmolested heads is better when buying a complete running engine.

forever young
Jul 10th, 10, 9:50 PM
Hey guys, take a step back a minute. Why I am asking your opinions is because for me to pressure test the heads, that's $60 each = $120 to start, The hot tank is nothing. If I build these, as with nmy 781's I will replace any questionable guides, install swirl undercut valves, 300# springs and the budget spring retainers and locks. If they have to be cut that's an added expense. I am i NY and we pay thru the wazoo for most everything because of taxes. SO...... I have to figure I will put in $300 - $400 and am asking what a finished completely rebuilt new heads are worth. I am not sure if these would make $500 - $600 completely rebuilt. Any comments?
thanks,
Roland

Tod74
Jul 10th, 10, 11:06 PM
Hey guys, take a step back a minute. Why I am asking your opinions is because for me to pressure test the heads, that's $60 each = $120 to start, The hot tank is nothing. If I build these, as with nmy 781's I will replace any questionable guides, install swirl undercut valves, 300# springs and the budget spring retainers and locks. If they have to be cut that's an added expense. I am i NY and we pay thru the wazoo for most everything because of taxes. SO...... I have to figure I will put in $300 - $400 and am asking what a finished completely rebuilt new heads are worth. I am not sure if these would make $500 - $600 completely rebuilt. Any comments?
thanks,
Roland

If you are asking if they will be worth $500-$600 when finished then I say yes.

If they had 2.19 valves in them I'd pay $500-$600 for them in a minute if I trusted the shop doing the work. I can't get a set built for that....It would cost Closer to a grand (counting initial purchase price) if you have them opened up for the bigger valves .

12Flat
Jul 10th, 10, 11:30 PM
Whats the stock valve size on a 049 head? How much HP will they support realistically?

Tod74
Jul 11th, 10, 1:04 AM
Whats the stock valve size on a 049 head? How much HP will they support realistically?

I assume they would have 2.06/1.72 valves stock. that's what the 781's have.

fishhead
Jul 11th, 10, 2:49 AM
I bought a complete 454 with these heads on, and I think they have a late 72 date code, which I guess would be 73 model year...

forever young
Jul 13th, 10, 9:18 PM
If you are asking if they will be worth $500-$600 when finished then I say yes.

If they had 2.19 valves in them I'd pay $500-$600 for them in a minute if I trusted the shop doing the work. I can't get a set built for that....It would cost Closer to a grand (counting initial purchase price) if you have them opened up for the bigger valves .

Todd, that's really what I was looking for. If I invest $400.00 in springs, valves, guides, will it be worth my while to do this and get my money back and some for my time........thanks, Roland

Mr69
Jul 13th, 10, 9:37 PM
Todd, that's really what I was looking for. If I invest $400.00 in springs, valves, guides, will it be worth my while to do this and get my money back and some for my time........thanks, Roland

Probably not.
Just let the next guy do what he wants to do to them.

Bunz-T
Jul 13th, 10, 10:55 PM
It is just very difficult to recover 100% of investment at any level . Every buyer is going to try and get you well back of full retail. Most feel no need to assume all the risk without a big discount.

Tod74
Jul 14th, 10, 4:04 AM
Probably not.
Just let the next guy do what he wants to do to them.

I agree. I said what I'd pay if I trusted the person and or shop. And that was with 2.19 valves and the appropriate bowl work.If they have stock valves now you will spend more than $400 getting them worked over with larger valves.Also I never expect to get anything extra for my time on this sort of thing. If you are only interested in selling them then I would sell them as is with a guarentee of no cracks. Let the other guy pay to get them checked..then if they are bad refund his money.