1968-72 GM A-body inner fender ??? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 1968-72 GM A-body inner fender ???

mr
Jul 4th, 10, 4:56 PM
El Camino fenders, are not the same as Chevelle fenders.

1970 El Camino fenders are one year only.

It makes perfect sense that they would do this. Making fenders to fit the contours of the old 1968-69 body style, was a lot cheaper than re-designing the doors and quarters of the new models.

Only required making dies for the fenders, when the other way required making dies for fenders, doors, and quarters. GM must have saved lots of money this way.

Jeff Dotterer
Dated Components
Diamond Restored Judge

TWO pieces of sheet metal that will interchange from a 1970 Chevelle and a 1970 El Camino.

Any 1970 hood will fit " El Camino & Chevelle ", also the painted filler pan between the bumper and grill.

Also a 1970 Chevelle remote mirror will not work on a 1970 Camino, different shape on the doors.

Actually, the inner fenders will work also.
I'm curious, if "any other 1968-72 GM A-body inner fenders" will fit a 1970 El Camino ???.....

RealRed70
Jul 4th, 10, 5:31 PM
The inner fender wells for 68-72 are the same for Chevelle and Elcamino.

Mr69
Jul 5th, 10, 2:38 AM
The inner fender wells for 68-72 are the same for Chevelle and Elcamino.

This is not entirely true.;)

The RH 1968 metal inner fender on cars with AC is a stand alone. There is a hole for the AC hoses to go thru and uses a rubber grommet where they pass thru. Metal LH is same for 68-72.

1969-72 Metal L and R inner fenders are all the same. AFAIK

1968-69 plastic inner fenders are different than the 70-72. 68-69 do not have the flange above the upper control arm.

All above will bolt up and fit properly to any model 68-72 Chevelle.

chevygod
Jul 6th, 10, 1:29 PM
They fit 70-72 Monte Carlos as well. That's where I used to get my steels from, 68-70 Chevelles.

Tom

mr
Jul 6th, 10, 8:10 PM
Thanks for all the info, guys ....

I need to find a metal "passenger side inner fender", to replace a busted up plastic one .....
on a 1970 El Camino.

I know where a couple of complete 4-door 1971 Chevelle's are, a 1969 GTO hull w/metal inner fenders- still intact, and possibly a 72 Monte Carlo junker prospect ...

I am also curious, about the possibilty of other 1968-72 GM A-bodys such as,
-Buick Skylark-
-Pontiac GTO-
-Oldsmobile Cutlass-
.... inner fenders being from the same GM mold, as the El Camino & Chevelle inner fenders .... just a thought.

chevygod
Jul 6th, 10, 8:35 PM
From my searches for my Monte's (back in the 80's!), it was 68-70 Chevelles-El Caminos that would work. Steels didn't show up in 71-72 Chevelles I saw and I didn't see them stock in any Monte Carlos. I did try some other GM A-body inners with no luck. The hole for the AC in the 68's didn't seem to matter in my Monte, so may not matter in a Chevelle either.
Tom

Mr69
Jul 7th, 10, 5:23 AM
Thanks for all the info, guys ....

I need to find a metal "passenger side inner fender", to replace a busted up plastic one .....
on a 1970 El Camino.

I know where a couple of complete 4-door 1971 Chevelle's are, a 1969 GTO hull w/metal inner fenders- still intact, and possibly a 72 Monte Carlo junker prospect ...

I am also curious, about the possibilty of other 1968-72 GM A-bodys such as,
-Buick Skylark-
-Pontiac GTO-
-Oldsmobile Cutlass-
.... inner fenders being from the same GM mold, as the El Camino & Chevelle inner fenders .... just a thought.

Nope
the BOP cars are different. Way different.
The 71's you know of prob have plastic.

mr
Jul 7th, 10, 8:04 AM
it was 68-70 Chevelles-El Caminos that would work. Steels didn't show up in 71-72 Chevelles

the BOP cars are different. Way different.
The 1971's you know of probably have plastic.
Thanks again, guys ... looks like 1969 or 1970 Chevelles/El Camino only for metal .... and possibly 1968 ...

My grandson's, stock appearing un-restored, Van Nuys built 1970 El Camino has a steel drivers side, and a plastic passenger side inner fender ....

My 1970 Chevelle coupe built at Leeds, has both steel inner fenders ....

chevygod
Jul 7th, 10, 11:08 AM
My grandson's, stock appearing un-restored, Van Nuys built 1970 El Camino has a steel drivers side, and a plastic passenger side inner fender ....

My 1970 Chevelle coupe built at Leeds, has both steel inner fenders ....

Ya'know, I seem to remember seeing plastic/steel mixes in the yards back when, but I thought it was from a repair of a car after body damage, and a plastic inner was installed by the body shop. They seemed to be either/or, not all one side like a plant running low on one side. I always bought them in matched sets, so wouldn't look at these too closely.

Thinking on this subject, I also recall seeing a car with a driver-side inner that was fiberglass, looked like the marbled grey material used on older Vette bodies. It looked too nice (ie heavy construction, so not a lightweight racing part) to be aftermarket. It was only the one side, so I passed it by. Anyone know of these?

JPS
Jul 16th, 10, 10:52 AM
I have a 70 EC, Fremont build with plastic inner fenders [which are torn at the mount flange so I will need to replace soon]. I bought the car [truck] from the original owner and never had reason to believe that it was in a front end collision. So, my presumption is that for this particular EC Custom, it rolled out of Fremont w/plastic inner fenders.

Hoping to replace w/metal- don't like the plastics.