How to Clean Up tools after Bondo.... Acetone? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: How to Clean Up tools after Bondo.... Acetone?

chevychad
Jan 21st, 10, 7:21 PM
I am starting my body work and have a peice of aluminum to mix the bondo on. (Evercoat Rage) What do I use to clean up the aluminum mixing board? Acetone?

Will the acetone cause any problems if I clean the mixing board before starting a new batch. Or only clean up after I am done for the day.

Thanks

oktunes
Jan 21st, 10, 7:57 PM
Scrape all the putty off before it sets up. Use a metal edge putty knife or a squeege that is used up. When all else fails, put it in the bead blast cabinet.

66sc
Jan 21st, 10, 8:18 PM
Acetone rots the liver. Try not to get it on your skin very often.

I've heard that a 12" square piece of plate glass is good for mixing mud. Might be able to get a scrap from a glass shop and slip them a few bucks to clean up the edges.

350_Malibu
Jan 21st, 10, 8:43 PM
Scrape it off with a razor blade before it fully sets up... Or

Try scrap pieces of cardboard, use both sides and toss it when your done. I've been doing it for years. Or get a real plastic mixing board from your local paint supply. They're flexible and when the filler cures you can snap it off the plastic board.

mryanduv
Jan 21st, 10, 9:14 PM
glass works great. you can get a 12" square mirror from a home remodeling place that's adhesive backed & stick it on a piece of plywood. or glue a piece of regular glass on the ply. clean up with a razor, & you won't have to worry about breaking the glass like i did the first time.
almost forgot... acetone is absorbed through your skin, into your system. don't mess with it without gloves.

65ElCaminoMan
Jan 21st, 10, 10:30 PM
agrees with kyle flexable plastic or carboard is all you need

hpsherlin
Jan 21st, 10, 10:49 PM
Buddy of mine uses a piece of plywood.
Breaks off the unused and then takes a DA to it before using again.

oldtimeparts
Jan 21st, 10, 11:01 PM
flexable plastic from your local supply shop I think I paid $1.50 and have been using it for a long time, just snap it and the bondo is gone

TechNova
Jan 22nd, 10, 1:26 AM
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/quick-mix-sheets-board-p-10975.aspx

fast,clean & can be used to mix adhesives also.

Cardboard and paper absorb what you don't want absorbed.

propest
Jan 22nd, 10, 11:09 AM
i have been liking the dixie paper plates...

chevychad
Jan 22nd, 10, 11:44 AM
I read online that wd40 works. I tried that with a razor blade and it worked pretty good. The flexible board sounds good to just snap it off.

Dean
Jan 22nd, 10, 12:18 PM
I used to use a piece of glass and scrape it off with a putty knife, then a razor blade and wash it with lacquer thinner.
Now I use the tare off sheets which is much easier.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/popup.aspx?src=images/Product/large/10975.gif

Raven1
Jan 22nd, 10, 12:57 PM
I read online that wd40 works. I tried that with a razor blade and it worked pretty good. The flexible board sounds good to just snap it off.

I have to read this data you found. That's what I want in my filler, WD-40. Perfect for painting and zero contamination issues.

Alwhite00
Jan 22nd, 10, 1:15 PM
I have to read this data you found. That's what I want in my filler, WD-40. Perfect for painting and zero contamination issues.

X2 - Not a good idea.

LK

chevychad
Jan 22nd, 10, 2:36 PM
DOH, your right.

chevelle67-427wagon
Jan 22nd, 10, 3:25 PM
I use a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil on a piece of wood or cardboard. When you are done with a batch just turn it over then when both sides are used remove it & start with a new piece. I don't use bare wood or paper because it can soak up the hardener & the filler won't set right. Foil also works great as a paint mask for odd shaped spots that you need to paint around. Steve

chevelle hunter
Jan 22nd, 10, 10:26 PM
hi what we do in the shop is we use clean sheets,they rip off after each use,at home a nice piece of plastic is good,cardboard can be used but the reps do not recommend as they say it contaminate the plastic.we never clean off,we always just use what is left smooth over and then take our da or hog sander and smooth out for next coat.

chevychad
Jan 23rd, 10, 12:57 AM
good idea to just use my da on the metal board if needed for next coat.

BlueSS454
Jan 23rd, 10, 1:06 AM

Wd-40 should not be within 50 yards of anything related to body work.

crazy canuck
Jan 23rd, 10, 1:08 AM
Just use some lacquer thinner and some shop paper towels to clean your spreader before it hardens,I have had the same metal spreaders and home made metal bondo board for 20 years.A red scotch brite pad and a little thinner will clean it up nice if it is almost cured.

ssal396
Jan 23rd, 10, 12:12 PM
Just use some lacquer thinner and some shop paper towels to clean your spreader before it hardens,I have had the same metal spreaders and home made metal bondo board for 20 years.A red scotch brite pad and a little thinner will clean it up nice if it is almost cured.

Metal bondo spreaders????? I didn't know there was such a thing :confused:

cheveslakr
Jan 23rd, 10, 1:08 PM
I've used a scotch brite pad with a splash of thinner for years. Also use a metal 6in. spatula for spreading most panels. Use smaller plastic spreaders for contours. The metal spat allows much more even pressure and eliminates many pinholes, also spreads more evenly over a larger area. I use a plastic board only because I've been lazy and haven't made a stainless one yet.

Jerry

Raven1
Jan 23rd, 10, 1:41 PM
Metal bondo spreaders????? I didn't know there was such a thing :confused:
Most hobbiests don't know half of professional products in the industry, no offense. They receive info from other hobbiests and the cycle continues. Investigate thoroughly.
.http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/search/search.aspx?keywords=spreaders

wambams69ss396
Jan 23rd, 10, 2:37 PM

x2 on what crazy said.the only differance for me is that i use latex gloves and use acetone to clean my stuff.works gret for me

ssal396
Jan 23rd, 10, 9:53 PM
Most hobbiests don't know half of professional products in the industry, no offense. They receive info from other hobbiests and the cycle continues. Investigate thoroughly.
.http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/search/search.aspx?keywords=spreaders

No offence taken....But I have never seen anybody at a body shop use one either.. I'll have to try a 6"putty knife next time I sling some mudd :thumbsup:

69ssmike
Jan 23rd, 10, 10:02 PM
No offence taken....But I have never seen anybody at a body shop use one either.. I'll have to try a 6"putty knife next time I sling some mudd :thumbsup:
I've got a 4 foot squegee I could let ya borrow:D
I use cardboard and just spread out what is left over, clean my spreader (plastic) with thinner.

chevychad
Jan 24th, 10, 2:48 AM
I bought a set of metal spreaders at harbor freight. I don't have much experience but they seemed to work better for me than the plastic. Very thin metal compared to a putty knife.

I used wax and grease remover on the metal mixing board, after using the wd-40, and tossed the plastic spreaders. I will never do that again!!

gulfcoastspeedncustom
Jan 24th, 10, 9:15 AM
I use an old magazine's pages. Find one with nice color pages ( they are less porous) - like an old hot rod mag. Then just tear them off as you go. - Dan