454 Flywheel ID? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: 454 Flywheel ID?

OLDED
Jan 11th, 10, 3:00 PM
We have a flywheel with the GM 1 and 050525N part number showing. Is this the correct stock one for a 454 MK VI external balance, 4 spd. set-up?

Thanks,

OLDED
Jan 11th, 10, 3:10 PM
I meant to type Mark IV application - not Mark VI

OLDED
Jan 12th, 10, 10:00 AM
Anyone able to help?

TD509EFI
Jan 12th, 10, 12:08 PM
OLDED,

That is a casting number, not a part number. I found a couple of matching part numbers to other casting numbers while searching the net, but not the one you have listed. Sorry I couldn't be of further help.

John

OLDED
Jan 12th, 10, 8:54 PM
These are a few pics of the flywheel. It has much heavier weights on the one side - and a lot of balancing drillings to fine tune it to something. Hopefully someone can ID it for us - as a 454 flywheel.
Thanks,

DZAUTO
Jan 12th, 10, 9:03 PM
That is totally new to me. I've never seen one like that!

BillK
Jan 12th, 10, 9:03 PM
Ed,
That does not look like any 454 or other big or small block flywheel I have ever seen ??? What type of engine was it on ? Maybe some type of industrial deal ?? It does not appear to be properly balanced for a 454 either, even with all those holes drilled in it. I think it would go in the scrap metal pile and start looking for the correct one.

The Pioneer catalog has crossover numbers in it, I will try to remember to look in the AM and see if I can find it. But it is definitely not your "normal" Chevy flywheel.

BillK
Jan 12th, 10, 9:06 PM
Ed,
I just punched "050525N flywheel" into google and found a post that id's it as a Chevy 6.2 Deisel flywheel. That makes sense for the big weights on it.

Mike
Jan 12th, 10, 9:11 PM
Bill ,I think if you re-read that post ,he said he has a f/w with that # but he didn't specifically id it as from a 6.2.
The thread was asking about a f/w id ,just happened to appear in a truck forum.
At least ,that's how I interpreted it.

OLDED
Jan 12th, 10, 9:11 PM
Thanks for the help. I didn't want to use it without knowing what it really is for. Guess it may be worth something to a diesel guy - it is in great condition. My budget conscious Son needs a flywheel instead.

TD509EFI
Jan 12th, 10, 9:32 PM
OLDED,

Did a bit more searching , found a reference to 050525N on a truck forum. It was mentioned that It may be off a 6.5 diesel, but I have no confirmation of that.

John

BillK
Jan 12th, 10, 9:47 PM
Ed,
If I am correct, there are two different flywheels for the Mark 6 depending on if it is a steel crank or a cast one. Keep this in mind during your search. I might have one at the shop. Send me a PM with exactly what engine you have and I will look.

OLDED
Jan 13th, 10, 11:23 AM
Mystery resolved - the flywheel is for a 6.2/6.5 GM diesel! So much for not being certain at swap meets. Anyone want a Diesel flywheel?

DZAUTO
Jan 13th, 10, 2:34 PM
Well then, that answers that!!!!
It's obvious that the reason I didn't recognize it is because I'm NOT a diesel guy!!:D