OMG, will there be a 427v2?????? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech

: OMG, will there be a 427v2??????

kettbo
Nov 28th, 09, 12:25 AM
This 427v2 idea was sparked up at Doc's house today. While discussing "buy and sell" mid afternoon, Doc said his good set of new 427 short dome L2300's were going to his son for a high school engine build-up. Thinking of a milder/driver 427 for the Vette to free the pretty bad-ass 427 in there for a big cam and Aluminum head upgrade for evil purposes at a time to be determined.

This evening when I was leaving, Doc said, "Hey, you want some Welfare L2300 pistons?"
Huh?
He hands me this piston attached to a mangled/bent rod. Sure enough....L2300 + .030s! Looks like 7 good ones to be cleaned-up hung on weenie 396 rods. One piston may or may not see run time again....
Hang these forged pistons (after serious cleaning) and one possible new unit onto some thumb rods with ARPs. So, well on the way for the mild 427v2.

Doc, you rock.:cool::D :beers::thumbsup::bow:

It occurred to me on the way home that I have most of the rest of the parts already at home. When the Super Budget 454 comes out of the Elky...use it as the foundation for 427v2. :secret: I'll have a known block to bore, low use thumb rods, the original heads off the Vette, a mild 226*cam (that will love the extra compression), a driver intake...etc, etc.

While out, 427 from the Vette gets Aluminum heads I have on hold, roller cam, and in the next year or so I locate a suitable shell to install the bullet into.

Kevin R
Nov 28th, 09, 12:30 AM
Free stuff is always good. Sounds like you have all the makings for a nice

kettbo
Nov 28th, 09, 12:48 AM
Oh no Kevin.....your mega dome slugs rock!!!!!! Got heads lined-up?

The L2300s for the most part look great. The one on the mangled rod.....might work or I might just feel safer with a new unit. That chunk scraped out below the wrist pin isn't deep....why anyone would run stock 396 rods when thumb rods are so plentiful is beyond me!

check out the conrod in the center of the pic
http://images36.fotki.com/v1157/photos/1/1002019/4059581/dad039-vi.jpg

Anyway, I am already lining up an engine build for winter 2010-2011! I am pretty sure I can find a forged 427 crank for $200 if I am patient.
I just figure it is easier to re-purpose the Super Budget 454 than to send it down the road...

Now to get a solvent tank....

Kevin R
Nov 28th, 09, 12:56 AM
Well seeing that this is a budget build the heads will most likely be some
781's or something like that. It would be nice to get a set of the 290 profilers but that would throw the welfare build out the window.
When I get to that point I will have to weight my options to see how much a set of bigger valve 781's will cost compared to a set of profilers.

1966malibu
Nov 28th, 09, 2:24 AM
You know a mild 427 in my car would have me in the 11's with no problems :D.

kettbo
Nov 28th, 09, 2:33 AM
You know a mild 427 in my car would have me in the 11's with no problems :D.

You know I mentioned a mild BBC with you 5-6 times but you kept cutting me off with your "SBC, SBC, SBC" chant and war dance. For the price of your upgrades, you could have a bad-arse BBC.:(

kettbo
Nov 28th, 09, 2:36 AM
781's or something like that. It would be nice to get a set of the 290 profilers but that would throw the welfare build out the window.
When I get to that point I will have to weight my options to see how much a set of bigger valve 781's will cost compared to a set of profilers.

If the Aluminum head deal goes through...there will be a set of big valve 781s available at member prices. The Profilers are awesome...

1966malibu
Nov 28th, 09, 2:39 AM
You know I mentioned a mild BBC with you 5-6 times but you kept cutting me off with your "SBC, SBC, SBC" chant and war dance. For the price of your upgrades, you could have a bad-arse BBC.:(

Yeah, but then we would just have a Kevin clone. Ol' Blue is a small block car :yes:. Besides I don't want to break that much stuff ;).

kettbo
Nov 28th, 09, 2:43 AM
I sure missed ya today TOG....good times.

Have you narrowed down the last items for your upgrades?

I looked on Summit and Jeg's for a spare L2300 +.030
neither carried that slug......

1966malibu
Nov 28th, 09, 2:46 AM
Have you narrowed down the last items for your upgrades?

I am having a little talk with Mr. Parker about that right now :D.

kettbo
Nov 28th, 09, 2:50 AM
I am having a little talk with Mr. Parker about that right now :D.

ok...keep me posted

gotago
Nov 28th, 09, 8:49 AM
While out, 427 from the Vette gets Aluminum heads I have on hold, roller cam, and in the next year or so I locate a suitable shell to install the bullet into.

Jesus, now EVERYBODYS building a 427:sad: Pretty soon you'll end up with a blue 66 too.:)

65lkey
Nov 28th, 09, 11:13 AM

The Pro-filer 290's are very nice. For these smaller bore small cube big blocks there are still a lot of options. I still haven't made a decision yet. I've got it narrowed down to either some canfield 310's, AFR 305's or Pro-filers 290's.

Kevin R
Nov 28th, 09, 12:21 PM
The Pro-filer 290's are very nice. For these smaller bore small cube big blocks there are still a lot of options. I still haven't made a decision yet. I've got it narrowed down to either some canfield 310's, AFR 305's or Pro-filers 290's.

Even the smaller AFR 270's would rock on a 427:yes:

65lkey
Nov 28th, 09, 2:59 PM
Even the smaller AFR 270's would rock on a 427:yes:

For a NA street beast hell yah, I think they run just shy of $2400 cnc chambers, the profilers and Canfields run about $2k, setup for a solid roller

kettbo
Nov 28th, 09, 3:01 PM
Paul,

Get it to the track with any heads you can get. Then upgrade. I'm expecting you at the season opener.....

gotago,
My love affair with 427s began in 1978 when I bought a 427 for my 68 Nova. Rect port closed chamber heads, L2268s, L-88 cam, 4-bolt, steel crank, dimple rods, Chevy Aluminum hi rise.....
Then I have had the Vette with the 427 since 1991.
You and your 427 are "Johnny come lately" :yes::D

gotago
Nov 28th, 09, 6:49 PM

You know, you have a point. Maybe I should do something no one else here has done. Let me think on it some;)

Kevin R
Nov 28th, 09, 7:02 PM
You know, you have a point. Maybe I should do something no one else here has done. Let me think on it some;)

540,200 shot and a roll cage.:yes:

FRYNTYR
Nov 28th, 09, 7:07 PM
gotago,
My love affair with 427s began in 1978 when I bought a 427 for my 68 Nova. Rect port closed chamber heads, L2268s, L-88 cam, 4-bolt, steel crank, dimple rods, Chevy Aluminum hi rise.....
Then I have had the Vette with the 427 since 1991.

I keep hearing about these UDGeorge 427's but have never heard how fast they ran!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do tell.:D

gotago
Nov 28th, 09, 8:11 PM
Then I have had the Vette with the 427 since 1991, and its been in the garage under a cover since except when my wife let me move it.
:yes::D

Fixed it for ya:D

1966malibu
Nov 28th, 09, 8:27 PM
Mark I had the chance to go for a ride in George's Vette :thumbsup:. My best guess If he babied it off the line it would pull a solid mid-12 second run with a stupid fast MPH for the time :yes:.

gotago
Nov 28th, 09, 8:45 PM
Mark I had the chance to go for a ride in George's Vette :thumbsup:. My best guess If he babied it off the line it would pull a solid mid-12 second run with a stupid fast MPH for the time :yes:.

I had a ride in the "Phantom Vette" too, and power to weight I'd have to agree. However, I can't pass up a chance to rag on him since he's had at least 5 months head start on me;)

kettbo
Nov 28th, 09, 9:52 PM

The Elky drives to the track, makes back-to-back 12-second passes, drives home only adding air to the DRs before return the trip. Try THAT Mark.:D

I keep hearing about these UDGeorge 427's but have never heard how fast they ran!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do tell.:D

You will see the UD George cam this year DB. In fact, you TOUCHED the UD George cam...you are now blessed! I think the Vette would prefer the UD George cam over the Erson it has now...

I had a ride in the "Phantom Vette" too, and power to weight I'd have to agree. However, I can't pass up a chance to rag on him since he's had at least 5 months head start on me;)

Revs to 6500+, no missed shifts....:D
C'mon Mark, get the Chevelle together, school me! :noway::noway:

Kevin R
Nov 28th, 09, 9:58 PM
[QUOTE=kettbo;2635579]The Elky drives to the track, makes back-to-back 12-second passes, drives home only adding air to the DRs before return the trip. Try THAT Mark.:D[QUOTE]

I can do that and run 11's:D:yes:

kettbo
Nov 28th, 09, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=kettbo;2635579]The Elky drives to the track, makes back-to-back 12-second passes, drives home only adding air to the DRs before return the trip. Try THAT Mark.:D[QUOTE]

I can do that and run 11's:D:yes:

That's true!:yes:

Kevin R
Nov 28th, 09, 10:16 PM
[quote=Kevin R;2635590][QUOTE=kettbo;2635579]The Elky drives to the track, makes back-to-back 12-second passes, drives home only adding air to the DRs before return the trip. Try THAT Mark.:D

That's true!:yes:

If I had enough room and money for a trailer than I would be hauling it over. It's alot of stress thinking that I have to get it home after thrashing on it.

66 Buick Special
Nov 28th, 09, 10:47 PM
I can do that and run 11's

Me too!:D

If I had enough room and money for a trailer than I would be hauling it over. It's alot of stress thinking that I have to get it home after thrashing on it.

I don't know Kev... I trailered the Special ONE time and look what happened.:sad:

Seriously though... it is stressful to drive an hour to the track, thrash on your car as hard as you can multiple times, and cross your fingers that you'll make it home. If I had room for a trailer I'd seriously think about buying one.

gotago
Nov 28th, 09, 10:57 PM
The Elky drives to the track, makes back-to-back 12-second passes, drives home only adding air to the DRs before return the trip. Try THAT Mark.:D

:bow: :bow: :bow:

You're right, you're in the 12s before me and you're faster to the big end than me. I'll quit while I'm behind. Ain't no way I'll catch you now..............

kettbo
Nov 28th, 09, 11:20 PM
No defeatist attitudes around here:o....Nothin but love:D
...I know the Silver 69 is gonna run like a rocket, you are due....:thumbsup:

The Elky is progressing well for 2010 after dropping parts at DB's, now to upgrade the Vette a little bit. Wifey is very pleased to hear the bumpers, long overdue for chroming, will be straightened, dipped, and polished. I gotta install new dvr door hinge pins and such. And yes, looking for some 15x7 Ralleys or another set of Prostars etc so I can field the Vette with some radials.

Dave
Dec 2nd, 09, 2:55 AM
I can't beleive you started a thread with, OMG.:(

Brettd85
Dec 2nd, 09, 11:33 AM

Like totally yeah. :sad:

Kevin R
Dec 2nd, 09, 11:43 AM

I think he was talking to Paul:confused:

Oh Mini George.:D

kettbo
Dec 2nd, 09, 3:29 PM
Upon closer examination, the Welfare 427 piston on the mangled conrod is not salvageable. One chunk missing at the edge of the piston top. Replacement is not in the Summit or Jeg's catalog or their online stores. I called Summit today. They do have the piston....$59.99, less Brett's discount code. I'll be taking a good look at the others Thursday.

A forged 6223 crankshaft appeared in my garage today. It is unrun after a 10/10 grind but it has been sitting around on a crank storage rack for some time. IIRC this is the 1053 alloy crank. One heavy SOB for sure

badrad
Dec 11th, 09, 9:38 AM
If you build a 427 make it the "L-88" since you have most of the parts.

kettbo
Dec 11th, 09, 6:19 PM
If you build a 427 make it the "L-88" since you have most of the parts.

The v1 engine in the Vette now with the bigger dome L2268 slugs gets the 074 Aluminum heads, already set for roller cam IIRC The shortblock has 4-bolt, dimple rods, steel crank. Similar to but at least one point down on compression than an L-88. Thing is, new cam technology will make up for that no problem.

Doc had mentioned possibly having a spare L2300 slug lying around. When I go to Doc's to get the 454v2 parts, will see what turns up. A replacement is $6o but ya never know what you are gonna get with the new offshore-made SpeedPro pistons

badrad
Dec 11th, 09, 7:54 PM
I know what you mean about the pistons being hit or miss, I've seen some really badly machined ones. My 427 has 2300 +.060 all balanced and blueprinted, 2 bolt '73 block though. I'm gonna drop it in my Elky now and drop the 502 into the Bel Air, got everything for the swap except the oil pan.